LaScala Nashville need saved $400

Woofers and Tweeters

7 minutes ago, carlthess40 said:

Who’s are they? I’d take them and save them in a heartbeat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me throw a red flag up for this one, because: 
Rhys Stevenson has more than one FB profile in Nashville; these profiles were created in 2021; has 3 friends in one profile and 2 friends in the other. It looks like someone has created this profile to maybe protect the person's personal profile, but I don't know. 

These look a bit worse than mine ( mine 1977 model probably out of a bar room  very rough) but this is what they can look like after a 1/2 MDF is applied to them and the second one is with a veneer and stained.

Having done this already a few comments:

Do not apply anything but veneer to dog house - why it affects the folded horn dynamics

Project, is time consuming and requires wood working talent ( which I had to hire ) the dog house area is a ***** to do right

I would seriously consider converting to the new La Scala style of two boxes Why - makes work a lot easier and I think you can  better deal with your room dynamics with them separated

I updated to all new Crites Drivers and cross overs, not required  but felt 40+ year old electronics needed an update & used dynamat on all drivers and used a 1/4 foam gasket when mounting squaker and tweeter, new woofer had a gasket so did not use a foam gasket there

Net changes in sound, the La Scala sound is still there, the sound stage is just a dynamic. Overall sound is less Dance Hall and more refined. Would I do it again absolutely

20210425_143917.jpg

20210515_111020.jpg

• Like 1

Let me throw a red flag up for this one, because: 
Rhys Stevenson has more than one FB profile in Nashville; these profiles were created in 2021; has 3 friends in one profile and 2 friends in the other. It looks like someone has created this profile to maybe protect the person's personal profile, but I don't know. 

I did send a message and he gave me a phone number to call. Have not called him yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just adding some material to the sides would not be enough.  The side panels are all delaminated and would need to be replaced.  Since the cabinets have clearly been in a flood or suchlike, the woofers could be real disasters, like good for scrap and not much else.  Depending on how high the water got, the whole HF section, crossovers, squawkers, and tweeters, could also be disasters.

The more I look at those cabinets, the more I think that it's fairly likely that every single panel in those cabinets must be replaced, since they're past the point of being repaired.  So we have a pair of La Scalas that need new cabinets and possibly new drivers and crossovers.  Without seeing in the back of the HF sections, we can't see how far gone those parts are, but I'm thinking that maybe the K400 horns, plus the K-77 horns, may be all that's actually any use, unless, of course, they're too badly corroded or otherwise damaged.

I'd say peel off the badges and stick new speakers behind them, but the badges are missing, so no luck there, either.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Islander said:

Just adding some material to the sides would not be enough.  The side panels are all delaminated and would need to be replaced.  Since the cabinets have clearly been in a flood or suchlike, the woofers could be real disasters, like good for scrap and not much else.  Depending on how high the water got, the whole HF section, crossovers, squawkers, and tweeters, could also be disasters.

The more I look at those cabinets, the more I think that it's fairly likely that every single panel in those cabinets must be replaced, since they're past the point of being repaired.  So we have a pair of La Scalas that need new cabinets and possibly new drivers and crossovers.  Without seeing in the back of the HF sections, we can't see how far gone those parts are, but I'm thinking that maybe the K400 horns, plus the K-77 horns, may be all that's actually any use, unless, of course, they're too badly corroded or otherwise damaged.

I'd say peel off the badges and stick new speakers behind them, but the badges are missing, so no luck there, either.

I agree, and that's why I said that they might need to be 'put down' as in euthanasia.

What you said reminds me of what I have said about places I have worked:

It's loud, dirty, doesn't pay well, the insurance sucks, the boss is an ars, coworkers are lazy back-biters, the work is exhausting, the building is cold in the winter, hot in the summer and leaks when it rains. Other than that, it's a good place to work. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I agree, and that's why I said that they might need to be 'put down' as in euthanasia.

What you said reminds me of what I have said about places I have worked:

It's loud, dirty, doesn't pay well, the insurance sucks, the boss is an ars, coworkers are lazy back-biters, the work is exhausting, the building is cold in the winter, hot in the summer and leaks when it rains. Other than that, it's a good place to work. 

The poor things have literally been neglected to death.  They weren't quickly pulled out of the water, nor were they cared for after.  It's sad, but not every patient makes it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

need to be 'put down' as in euthanasia.

dirty,

doesn't pay 

insurance sucks,

the boss is an ars,

coworkers are lazy back-biters,

the work is exhausting,

the building is cold in the winter, hot in the summer =

leaks when it rains.

it's a good place to work. 

--Proud Ron Swanson GIF - Proud RonSwanson NickOfferman GIFs

all corners were banged in, bottoms were very thin and falling apart, two different tweeters, one woofer was needed a new paper cone, squakers seemed to be fine. While the boxes looked bad they were still firmly tight boxes

If your considering a project, I would highly recommend considering a new build with a two box system, the two boxes setup would help in dealing with any room issues adding to placement locations.. Today with the availability of new horns for the squaker and tweeter building a custom top makes a lot of sense. FYI in my room 17 by 18 mine work best on the short wall facing straight forward about 8-9 feet apart. Initially I had them farther apart sound stage was not as good and sound was sub optimal. Once I started bringing them together  everything got better. This may be my room ( most likely ) or the changes I made to the boxes not sure which

20210105_134254.jpg