Vinyl: When will the FAD normalize or END again

joessportster

Been Pondering this myself lately, I just can not understand the INSANE prices of vinyl even at places like Walmart. I personally grew up with Vinyl, I also lean to the sound of analog. While in the past I would have argued the virtues of vinyl. I must admit that with some of the new DAC's it is easy to get VERY CLOSE to the analog sound of VINYL. So close infact why would anyone pay hundreds of dollars for a piece of vinyl when the file costs 15 - 30.00  be it download or actual DISC

This leads me to think, eventually people will wake up to reality.   What say you ?

Joe

Been Pondering this myself lately, I just can not understand the INSANE prices of vinyl even at places like Walmart. I personally grew up with Vinyl, I also lean to the sound of analog. While in the past I would have argued the virtues of vinyl. I must admit that with some of the new DAC's it is easy to get VERY CLOSE to the analog sound of VINYL. So close infact why would anyone pay hundreds of dollars for a piece of vinyl when the file costs 15 - 30.00  be it download or actual DISC

This leads me to think, eventually people will wake up to reality.   What say you ?

Joe

I to grew up with LPs. Ditched in 1983 for the pristine accuracy of CDs.I don’t miss the “analog” sound of ticks and pops, compression to allow cheap record players to track, inner groove distortion, and inconvenience. Paul Klipsch once said that a record was a facsimile of the actual music. I will never again buy an LP and will by CDs as long as I can. I just haven’t warmed up to streaming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont stream either, I do not have decent internet service to allow streaming. I have though Ripped a LOT of CD and have music stored on a hard drive which is use for 90+ percent of my source. The advantage to this is of course I can choose my DAC, and I have 10,000 CD but a mouse click away and they will fit in the palm of my hand.

In 83 I was in Germany and I ditched vinyl at the time as well. I have however picked it back up a few times. On the proper setup I find vinyl can be as quiet as a CD with no background noise. In those cases the Sound Quality is superior. Though IMHO it is not 400.00 for the vinyl version VS 30.00 for the File / Disc superior (Diminishing returns and all that)

2 hours ago, Jeeper said:

Makes me think about selling my collection before they wake up.

I sold my last large collection back when I was injured at work and by todays standards I took a BEATING, I am constantly seeing LP I sold going for 10 to 20 X what I got. Hell I sold out again just over a year ago and some of those Prices have doubled+

I did not learn my lessons well though as every time a good TT Setup pops up for sale at a good price I am pulled right back into the mix. I currently have a VPI TNT 3.5 with Graham 2.0 tonearm and, Zu Denon 103, along with various other upgrades. This time I told myself I will only BUY HIGH QUALITY vinyl, 180 gram, MFSL etc... I have approximately 60 Lp.  Those LP on the TNT sound simply superb

3 hours ago, joessportster said:

I dont stream either, I do not have decent internet service to allow streaming. I have though Ripped a LOT of CD and have music stored on a hard drive which is use for 90+ percent of my source. The advantage to this is of course I can choose my DAC, and I have 10,000 CD but a mouse click away and they will fit in the palm of my hand.

In 83 I was in Germany and I ditched vinyl at the time as well. I have however picked it back up a few times. On the proper setup I find vinyl can be as quiet as a CD with no background noise. In those cases the Sound Quality is superior. Though IMHO it is not 400.00 for the vinyl version VS 30.00 for the File / Disc superior (Diminishing returns and all that)

I sold my last large collection back when I was injured at work and by todays standards I took a BEATING, I am constantly seeing LP I sold going for 10 to 20 X what I got. Hell I sold out again just over a year ago and some of those Prices have doubled+

I did not learn my lessons well though as every time a good TT Setup pops up for sale at a good price I am pulled right back into the mix. I currently have a VPI TNT 3.5 with Graham 2.0 tonearm and, Zu Denon 103, along with various other upgrades. This time I told myself I will only BUY HIGH QUALITY vinyl, 180 gram, MFSL etc... I have approximately 60 Lp.  Those LP on the TNT sound simply superb

there's something about picking up

vinyl.. you can hold in your hand read it and enjoy the art work..

And when playing vinyl , your committed to at least listening to one side.. And cleaning the vinyl..also

And with all play back your sound will very..

I can't tell anybody how they hear sound... Only you can...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

there's something about picking up

vinyl.. you can hold in your hand read it and enjoy the art work..

And when playing vinyl , your committed to at least listening to one side.. And cleaning the vinyl..also

And with all play back your sound will very..

I can't tell anybody how they hear sound... Only you can...

I personally think Vinyl still has the edge in SQ when in the right setup, Thats not really at debate. I am wondering with the current trend of sellers getting CRAZY with prices.  How long some might think the trend can be maintained before the trend collapses again, this time mainly over the pricing ?

4 minutes ago, joessportster said:

I personally think Vinyl still has the edge in SQ when in the right setup, Thats not really at debate. I am wondering with the current trend of sellers getting CRAZY with prices.  How long some might think the trend can be maintained before the trend collapses again, this time mainly over the pricing ?

with the current oil price up ..

that happend in the early 70's..

vinyl became thinner and not pure vinyl...

And it's called supply and demand..

control the supply forces the demand...

Just like Zappa would sing about

• Like 1

I too like holding the vinyl in my hand, reading the liner notes in a larger format and the overall ritual. I also think a quality LP on a modest, properly set up table, sounds better most of the time. Anyone these days who is parroting "pops and clicks" is fooling themselves or simply ignorant of what is available since the 80s. I suspect very few are still driving the same car they drove to buy their first CD.

That said, I've been kicking around the idea of selling most of my vinyl. Somewhere between 30 and 100 LPs would seem like a great size to hang onto. Downsizing and simplifying has been my goal lately. I'm also getting to the age where I worry, just a bit, of the headache it might leave for my wife if I die before her. I'd hate to see them all go in a dumpster...but could imagine the burden it would be to sell off at anything besides fire sale pricing. I guess if I'm dead it does not matter much. In a perfect world I'd be able to find a person that wants my entire collection at about 50-75% of market value. I don't think I have the stomach to sell one LP at a time.

I've got nothing to back it up but I do feel like we already have or soon will peak with the vinyl craze. I've thought prices could not possibly go higher several time. Been wrong every time. Want to blow your mind....check the actual Sold prices on ebay for the UHQR  version of Kind of Blue by Miles Davis. My copy showed up a week ago, and I've not opened it. I'm torn between playing it to see if really sounds as good as the hype Here or selling it off. I sold off my Hendrix UHQR for over 3X what I paid for it...that is just silly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dirtmudd said:

is that Robin Williams or Poopdeck Pappy

dcabpi6-40425a30-1824-4895-9694-ea64e16e

That is funny. I scrolled right past that guy in the video and read the print. After going back and looking....too funny

And yet again a vinyl discussion that brings up one of the best of their manufacturers.

Analogue Productions. If you have even one you know what I'm talking about, or a half dozen like me that you'll never let go of.

And records will be the best medium for me until I cannot hear anymore!

11 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

And yet again a vinyl discussion that brings up one of the best of their manufacturers.

Analogue Productions. If you have even one you know what I'm talking about, or a half dozen like me that you'll never let go of.

And records will be the best medium for me until I cannot hear anymore!

I find that anything pressed at QRP ends up being a great LP. I can't recall ever a bad one from them. Not all Analog Productions are pressed at QRP...but I do agree, in general AP puts out fine wax.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rplace said:

I find that anything pressed at QRP ends up being a great LP. I can't recall ever a bad one from them. Not all Analog Productions are pressed at QRP...but I do agree, in general AP puts out fine wax.

The ones I got before they closed down a couple years ago all had that black and white round*? sticker with the pressed at QRP.

Edited by JohnJ

I sure miss my LP records.

1...No pops

2...No clicks.

3...No scratches.

4...No undersize center holes.

5...No oversize center holes.

6...No warpage.

7...No out of round pressings related to center holes.

8...No growling before a song plays.

9...The bass being 12 db down to prevent damage to adjacent grooves.

10.The treble being reduced from a boosted levels because of plastic high frequency noise.

11.The wow and flutter from the turntable.

12.The hum from the turntable motor.

13.The tone arm bouncing during rigorous dancing.

14.The next door neighbors shortwave conversation picked up by the cartridge.

15. Selecting a song when you are under the influence.

16. Intensely watching the turntable to prevent anyone from touching it or changing a song destroying your very expensive stylus.

17. I only touch or change the records under pain of death.

18..Never play a song over and over so that the grooves information can reset to 98% of their original shape.

19. Looking for hours trying to find a particular LP.

JJK

• Like 2