Carbon Steel Pan

willland

I have been a cast iron pan nut for the last couple of years and have a few different pans in my collection, vintage Lodge, Griswold, Wagner, BSR and modern Lodge.  Love them all and use some of them very often.  Also recently and somewhat reluctantly(wife wanted) added some All Clad hard anodized non stick pans, 8", 10", 12" to the mix.  Surprising, I like them and use them more than my wife.

Since I was kind of on a role, and have been researching for quite some time, I pulled the trigger on my first carbon steel pan.  Since my primary use will be for searing steaks, I chose this one for a very attractive price.

https://www.amazon.com/MINERAL-Round-Carbon-Steel-11-Inch/dp/B00VNQ7PVC/ref=asc_df_B00VNQ7PVC/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198087151093&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=656081970346459374&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012403&hvtargid=pla-393209246058&psc=1

de Buyer Mineral B Element 11-Inch Steak Fry Pan

Any folks with experience with De Buyer or any other brands please chime in with your thoughts or suggestions.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, willland said:

I have been a cast iron pan nut for the last couple of years and have a few different pans in my collection, vintage Lodge, Griswold, Wagner, BSR and modern Lodge.  Love them all and use some of them very often.  Also recently and somewhat reluctantly(wife wanted) added some All Clad hard anodized non stick pans, 8", 10", 12" to the mix.  Surprising, I like them and use them more than my wife.

Since I was kind of on a role, and have been researching for quite some time, I pulled the trigger on my first carbon steel pan.  Since my primary use will be for searing steaks, I chose this one for a very attractive price.

https://www.amazon.com/MINERAL-Round-Carbon-Steel-11-Inch/dp/B00VNQ7PVC/ref=asc_df_B00VNQ7PVC/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198087151093&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=656081970346459374&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012403&hvtargid=pla-393209246058&psc=1

de Buyer Mineral B Element 11-Inch Steak Fry Pan

Any folks with experience with De Buyer or any other brands please chime in with your thoughts or suggestions.

Bill

Check out Misen.  I have several and they are outstanding.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Check out Misen.  I have several and they are outstanding.

I may if this De Buyer doesn’t do the trick.  It arrives tomorrow.  I used Crisco to season my cast iron pans, what you say for carbon steel?  Flaxseed, grape seed oil?

Bill

25 minutes ago, willland said:

I may if this De Buyer doesn’t do the trick.  It arrives tomorrow.  I used Crisco to season my cast iron pans, what you say for carbon steel?  Flaxseed, grape seed oil?

Bill

the same as cast..! but to much for the pan... try your local restaurant supply...First !

43 minutes ago, willland said:

Bill

before I forget after the initial seasoning.... you must keep it dry !

And always re-oil after use ... do not over heat the pan...

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

picked these up over a week ago..

4 sauce pans , 12" fry pan , shaffing pan , dig scale , & pizza stone. .

$160 out the door... local restaurant supply ..

1623021247114-1132289495.jpg

16230212680731696158686.jpg

1623021287877-1652580635.jpg

So... you bought aluminum pans?

Steel or iron, please!

My almost 50 year old SaladMaster pans (T304s stainless) have been abused for most of those years and I can scrub them out and the look and work like new.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Marvel said:

So... you bought aluminum pans?

Steel or iron, please!

My almost 50 year old SaladMaster pans (T304s stainless) have been abused for most of those years and I can scrub them out and the look and work like new.

I'm only giving advice... it doesn't matter what pan .. cast , carbon , stainless , aluminum , and Teflon..

I most likely served more meals in one or two days than you have in your life..

there the right pan for every application... I also have stainless

But no cast.... I use what I like...And what's need for the job at hand...

Just made only a point on the curing 

process.. And most likely a better deal on price at a local restaurant supply store...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, willland said:

Flaxseed, grape seed oi

any oil with a high smoke... or will smoke at high temps... if you smoke the oil you will have to do the process all over again...

usually low and slow in the oven over night... you might have to do this process a few times....

1 minute ago, jimjimbo said:

I have both the Misen carbon steel and non sticks in several sizers.  Very, very well constructed.  Very reasonable pricing as well.

it doesn't matter what pan you use..

but pans made in the USA are better..

it comes down to proper heating of the pan .. do not over heat...

And most importantly proper cooking techniques.. And seasoning of the food itself . Also having all

your prep ready to rock & roll.

9 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

any oil with a high smoke... or will smoke at high temps... if you smoke the oil you will have to do the process all over again...

usually low and slow in the oven over night... you might have to do this process a few times....

I ment to say high smoking point ..

We recommend using flavor-neutral oils with high smoke points. Oils like soybean, corn, sunflower, vegetable, and canola are inexpensive, easy to find, and can tolerate higher heat.

https://misen.com/products/misen-carbon-steel-pan?variant=32715571822673&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5PGFBhC2ARIsAIFIMNcdz1VGBl3RoOGAGuUtqR-QRs751tNzUAWoZ_ASR9PIoATHzEvcBZ8aAreFEALw_wcB

2 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

it doesn't matter what pan you use..

but pans made in the USA are better..

it comes down to proper heating of the pan .. do not over heat...

And most importantly proper cooking techniques.. And seasoning of the food itself . Also having all

your prep ready to rock & roll.

Sorry, it does matter what pan you use.  
Believe what you want to believe.

• Like 1