Carbon Steel Pan

willland

in regards to pans, quite a few years ago information arose that using aluminum pans might not be a good idea.  As the aluminum would leach into the food and was considered a possible source of alzheimer's disease.  Back in the day, when i was running a kitchen, we threw out all the aluminum pans and went stainless.  Now at home, we use cast iron for almost everything and carbon steel for egg dishes. Though I am keeping an eye out for an old Griswold cast iron, that people say is smooth enough that eggs slide off the pan with ease. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shiva said:

in regards to pans, quite a few years ago information arose that using aluminum pans might not be a good idea.  As the aluminum would leach into the food and was considered a possible source of alzheimer's disease.  Back in the day, when i was running a kitchen, we threw out all the aluminum pans and went stainless.  Now at home, we use cast iron for almost everything and carbon steel for egg dishes. Though I am keeping an eye out for an old Griswold cast iron, that people say is smooth enough that eggs slide off the pan with ease. 

https://www.alz.org

Myth 4: Drinking out of aluminum cans or cooking in aluminum pots and pans can lead to Alzheimer’s disease.

Reality: During the 1960s and 1970s, aluminum emerged as a possible suspect in Alzheimer’s. This suspicion led to concern about exposure to aluminum through everyday sources such as pots and pans, beverage cans, antacids and antiperspirants. Since then, studies have failed to confirm any role for aluminum in causing Alzheimer’s. Experts today focus on other areas of research, and few believe that everyday sources of aluminum pose any threat.

So ever can now throwback a ice cold one of your choice !

4 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

Drinking out of aluminum cans or cooking in aluminum pots and pans can lead to Alzheimer’s disease.

It's still suspect and research is ongoing.

Mine is the 10 1/4" Matfer Bourgeat and the video mentions it's interesting seasoning instructions. The OP knows his way around cast iron so seasoning shouldn't be an issue. I followed the manufacturers instructions. I use mine for all the non baking things you'd do with cast iron. It weighs about 2/3 as much as cast iron. I like mine.

I got this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KEJQJ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

based on this:

• Like 1

We have lodge cast iron pans and Zwilling Sensation for multiply stainless.  Great deal on ebay several years ago, $1,000 set for $650. 

If you like All Clad, shop their 'seconds' sales (just sign up on their website and you will be notified.  We have their bowls, rice cooker and measuring cups.  All like new for 50% off. 

No aluminum here, that was why we got rid of our auto rice cooker and went with the All Clad stainless.  Same for non-stick, don't think it is a good idea to keep ingesting that stuff that always flakes off.  Just cook with olive oil and coconut oil. 

44 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

made in Spain  I picked it this morning.. And I will cure it as time is allowed.. 

1623253814783866611496.jpg

well no better time than the present !

washed pan added a light coating of Wesson... oven set at 350.. I will let that go for 15 minutes... than down to 2-225 for a hour or so..

• Like 3

it's down to 225 I'm going to take a quick nap... Have my protein out of the fridge... waiting for it to get to room temp... then season it...

And start using the pan.. without over crowding it... other wise known

as Maillard reaction .. 

if you over crowd the pan... the meat or protein of choice will boil... And remove the seasoning of the pan.. And thus having to start all over again...

1 hour ago, dirtmudd said:

wiped out recoated and placed back in the oven at 275... the pan is starting to brown..

I went two rounds with the oil, salt, potato peel method and about 45 minutes at 400 degrees F in the oven to finish it off.

A little blotchy on the edges due to splatter but still very non stick.

Bill

• Thanks 1