Carbon Steel Pan

willland

On 6/10/2021 at 5:51 PM, dirtmudd said:
On 6/10/2021 at 5:04 PM, oldtimer said:

Thin cast iron heats as quickly as anything else, and takes much less heat to achieve the same results.  I'm impressed with it.

known as the Maillard reaction .

with any properly heated pan..

never use a cold or over crowed the pan..

Now I see....  I misinterpreted this to be referring to his skillet, not what's in it.  My bad.

• 1 month later...
On 6/24/2021 at 3:07 PM, JohnJ said:

@dirtmudd

How'd you do that? No not the meal with that decidedly green herb and lemon mix that Mediterraneans do all to well with meats.

How the heck did you quote me from the 4cs over to here?

Saw the butterpat kickstarter thing from the android phone feed but they're too $$. Great idea though, I'm only at this address 8 more days. Been tired of my Lodge's rough surface for frying eggs, also my Cuisinart French Classis Tri-ply. I'd lose part of my eggs in either pan. even with a little grease from the meat left in them. Not my new small carbon steel one though... It's nice for all that I've made even with cheddar in the eggs. Now answering the phone made me leave the dogs too long in one spot but I think it will even out before too long.

PXL-20210624-195138924.jpg

Avocado oil takes some heat before it will smoke!

I like the look and the size. What brand is that one?

• Like 2

Wow that was six weeks ago, the price went up $15 at the DeBuyer website.:o

That's an 8" for eggs and grilled cheese I'm thinking. It is their Mineral B Pro, the handle doesn't stay room temp but it stays considerably less than the fry pan does.

That was brand new not used after taking the beeswax off and bringing the oil just to smoking then wiping it off. My lodge is just too rough and I got tired of wasting eggs on them, my stainless does the same if I do not cook pig in it (sausage or bacon) before my eggs. That thing I can break the eggs in it and go they do not stick.

When I got my Lodge skillet it was coated with good old Crisco lard. Stuffed into an oven at ??? (forgot) for awhile. Turned oven off and allowed it to cool overnight. Took it out in the morning,wiped down and cooked some bacon. Some light sticking but no issue. Eggs were difficult but came out OK. I treated it with oil and smoked it on the stovetop after use for a year or so. Now I just clean it while warm and store in the oven. Gets used every morning w/canola wipe down and no issues for the most part.

Right now it's in the oven with a couple of chicken thighs finishing up after a 9 minute sear (skin down) in olive oil to start. After 20 minutes flip and finish for 3 minutes. Looks like this when done. No sticking.

So I'm not yet sold on the carbon steel. And my stainless gets treated a lot like the cast iron.

i-jNhbQ7c-X2.jpg

• Like 2

The hundred year old Lodge I have is good and very smooth but it's not big enough for cornbread. The one i bought in the early 00s is the rough one but great for cornbread but no more "Armour All Natural Premium Lard" with zero flavor & zero fats. So I don't make it too often since I have to use bacon grease that I don't like to consume.

On 6/9/2021 at 10:52 AM, dirtmudd said:

made in Spain  I picked it this morning.. And I will cure it as time is allowed.. 

1623253814783866611496.jpg

I ordered the same one. Should be here in a couple of days.

I read somewhere that these are 16Gauge as opposed to most at 18G.

I paid a lot more than $12.00 for it.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 10:52 AM, dirtmudd said:

made in Spain  I picked it this morning.. And I will cure it as time is allowed.. 

1623253814783866611496.jpg

Mine got here 2 days ago. This is what it looks like today.

Very light coats of avocado oil. 4 times for 1 hour @ 500.

Let it cool completly in the oven. Haven't used it yet but it looks and feels good.

No smoke with avocado oil.

IMG_1822.JPG

Edited by NADman
forgot
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...