Did Klipsch use bone glue for Heritage models in the past?

KT88

I was on the phone today with an old-established hifi dealer in the Altmühltal in southern Germany. Actually, I just wanted to order a new 2021 Bluesound Node. Then we came to talk about Klipsch speakers. It was very nice and stimulating. The dealer is 65 y old and knows and deals with Klipsch for a very long time. He said that in his opinion the old speakers, exactly we talked about the Lascala, have such a good sound because Klipsch used bone glue until the seventies. He said you can easily check that by carefully going into the glue line with a knife on the back. The glue splinters off brittle. In the later models it remains soft glue. He says that the hardening bone glue has a similar positive effect on the case vibrations as in instrument construction, e.g. a violin or a cello, where this glue is also used. Does anyone know anything about this?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, KT88 said:

I was on the phone today with an old-established hifi dealer in the Altmühltal in southern Germany. Actually, I just wanted to order a new 2021 Bluesound Node. Then we came to talk about Klipsch speakers. It was very nice and stimulating. The dealer is 65 y old and knows and deals with Klipsch for a very long time. He said that in his opinion the old speakers, exactly we talked about the Lascala, have such a good sound because Klipsch used bone glue until the seventies. He said you can easily check that by carefully going into the glue line with a knife on the back. The glue splinters off brittle. In the later models it remains soft glue. He says that the hardening bone glue has a similar positive effect on the case vibrations as in instrument construction, e.g. a violin or a cello, where this glue is also used. Does anyone know anything about this?

Hunter might know, or our resident builder @HDBRbuilder. I suspect he is going to call bullshit on that. 

• Haha 2

Seems quite far-fetched to me.

I recall reading (or maybe it was on tv) a study where blindfolded expert violinists were asked to indicate whether they were playing a Stradivarius or a modestly priced modern violin, and they guessed wrong as often as they guessed right.  The point being that much of what this guy attributes to the glue type is probably mostly between his ears..  And there is a whole lot of that in the audiophile world.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coytee said:

What a novel way to get rid of the body!  Turn them into glue and sell them to unsuspecting households!

I'm going to go by my LaScalas and give a "Hey!" to Uncle Ernie.

Soylent Glue?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RandyH001 said:

-hide glue can be affected by micro organisms ,and it does not  fill gaps as well as regular wood  glue , I would say no-

I guess Martin has it all wrong then...

The guitar and ukulele forums are full of controversy around hide glue versus Titebond. Both clearly work for musical instruments. Is Titebond inferior? I've built six ukuleles and about 30 drums with Titebond, they at least do not fall apart in the first ten years. Time will tell. I could become a "hide glue sounds superior" believer if I was also a violin player. I am not so I form no opinion about violins.

As a ukulele player and drummer I will tell you that all ukuleles and drums sound so different that I do not think I could detect glue sound. 

Hide glue advocates can point to instruments that have survived hundreds of years and still hold together and can be repaired to "exactly new" condition. So there is that.

3 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Another completely bogus statement.

First on the list......

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/blog/2017/05/22/7-things-you-probably-didnt-know-about-martin-guitars/

100%  BS Remark  ,that has nothing to do with the current discussion -

----Speakers are not built like guitars ,  and guitars are not built like klipsch speakers  - and yes , the answer is correct ,  Animal glue has a short thermal limitation and is vulnerable to micro-organisms and Bacteria  ,

EDIT -------Klipsch does NOT use animal glue - end of story --

2 hours ago, Schu said:

I guess Martin has it all wrong then...

not really ,  guitars are not built like speakers , and speakers require conventional , non animal  wood adhesives -------klipsch never used animal glue , that was the main question ---

9 minutes ago, RandyH001 said:

100%  BS Remark  ,that has nothing to do with the current discussion -

----Speakers are not built like guitars ,  and guitars are not built like klipsch speakers  - and yes , the answer is correct ,  Animal glue has a short thermal limitation and is vulnerable to micro-organisms and Bacteria  ,

Klipsch does use animal glue - end of story --

4 minutes ago, RandyH001 said:

not really ,  guitars are not built like speakers , and speakers require conventional , non animal  wood adhesives -------klipsch never used animal glue , that was the main question ---

Which is it? A contradiction...