SW8 popping issues

Joeycap13

Hello Klipsch lovers…I have an SW8 and have been perfectly happy with it for my limited use. I have it plugged in to the subwoofer outputs of a legacy Denon AVR-5700. When I first bought the sub there was an loud popping sound when the unit was powered off. I was told that using a plug that bypassed the ground and used a power strip it would correct the problem. It did reduce the problem, but never totally alleviated the issue. 

Lately, the problem has gotten worse and now the popping sound occurs when I change the channels of the TV in addition to the powering issue,  so bad and pronounced in fact that my dogs become scared when they hear it. Anyway, I don’t use the unit and was wondering if it was a simple fix or just look into purchasing a new unit?

Thank you!

• Like 1

Welcome! 

Well it could be about popped out if it is an early Sw8 sub.You could try putting it on a different circuit than your main audio system to check even using an extension cord. You do not need that noise through your other speakers.

Others here will say.

Thanks!

Some may say just leave it on.

Not so sure about that.

@Joeycap13

Instead of plugging the SW-8 into the power strip, plug the Denon into the power strip. The power strip should have surge and spike protection capabilities as a plain, run of the mill power strip isn't going to do anything other than give you extra outlets. I believe the issue is the Denon,  not the SW-8.

20 hours ago, Joeycap13 said:

Hello Klipsch lovers…I have an SW8 and have been perfectly happy with it for my limited use. I have it plugged in to the subwoofer outputs of a legacy Denon AVR-5700. When I first bought the sub there was an loud popping sound when the unit was powered off.

2 questions -----------1)does the SW8 make a popping sound when it's turned ON or OFF ----or only when it's turned OFF -------

2) if you turn the gain down all the way , does the sub still make a popping sound -

19 hours ago, RandyH001 said:

2 questions -----------1)does the SW8 make a popping sound when it's turned ON or OFF ----or only when it's turned OFF -------

2) if you turn the gain down all the way , does the sub still make a popping sound -

That's a good basic test to prove whether it's the SW-8 or the Denon.

I feel it's the Denon not muting the outputs on shutdown or some similar action.

23 hours ago, Peter P. said:

That's a good basic test to prove whether it's the SW-8 or the Denon.

I feel it's the Denon not muting the outputs on shutdown or some similar action.

Hi Pete ,come to find out , the Avr is + 20 years old , the Sub is +25 Years old -

On 6/11/2021 at 9:25 PM, Joeycap13 said:

Hello Klipsch lovers…I have an SW8 and have been perfectly happy with it for my limited use. I have it plugged in to the subwoofer outputs of a legacy Denon AVR-5700. When I first bought the sub there was an loud popping sound when the unit was powered off. I was told that using a plug that bypassed the ground and used a power strip it would correct the problem. It did reduce the problem, but never totally alleviated the issue. 

Lately, the problem has gotten worse and now the popping sound occurs when I change the channels of the TV in addition to the powering issue,  so bad and pronounced in fact that my dogs become scared when they hear it. Anyway, I don’t use the unit and was wondering if it was a simple fix or just look into purchasing a new unit?

Thank you!

welcome to the forum

On 6/11/2021 at 9:25 PM, Joeycap13 said:

Thank you!

this  ...............might help

https://www.jensen-transformers.com/product/sub-1rr/