Just saw a jet fly under my local bridge!

juniper

14 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

That bridge is so deceptive in height. Some shots it looks 50' high, others closer to 200'.

Per Wiki its a 184 feet tall by 2682 feet in length with just five arches.  Its   just a one track  bridge, and when i kayak underneath it iam amazed. Kids either for their own reasons or for stupidity jump off of it..... the river is very shallow in this area....The outcome isnt good. When i see the cars under the humble beginnings on my street, a dirt road and heavy wood very old pilings covered in creasote .... its very sad....

On 6/13/2021 at 1:20 PM, dtel said:

Well I guess the hundreds or maby thousands of pictures of jets very close to the water are all photoshopped, the videos also. Not even counting me seeing them myself, that was just an illusion, more than once.

Anyone "almost" who has been to the gulf coast has seen military jets and the Blue Angles doing this just for fun, not counting the airshows. 

A distraction then a sneak pass just to scare everyone.

The family ranch near Encinal, TX is apparently near or directly below the flight path of the US Airforce training route/path or routine flight path to ????

Every once in while we get a crazy mf flying low to the ground (less than 300 ft) leaving me shaking my boots. The sonic boom is deafening, makes the ground shake. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RandyH001 said:

Pictures  or a short video  from your cell phone of your views --would be great

Randy if you look up Soo Line high bridge, or Arcola Trail high bridge, or CN high bridge you will find some pictures of its scale. Its kind of a weird area but its nice. We have Native American burial mounds all over the place. My sister may have one of the rarest in the state. Most are irregular in shape and not very big. Hers is a almost perfect circular mound 100 feet across and 15 feet high. Its said that these mounds are around 6500 yrs old. 

Islander and Randy these may all be truths......I found a burn pit under about 10 inches of leaves ,and dirt with very old glass bottles. I think its from the loggers or rail builders that came here. our local  University has asked many times  to dig in our area, and mounds. I cant imagine this place with Natives and 125 feet white pine trees that built much of the West.....

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Islander said:

Interesting.  The burial mounds in Europe are ancient as well.  It makes me wonder if there was some communication between the continents, if a cultural aspect like this was shared.

Watch the movie The Dig about amateur archeologist Basil Brown where he unearthed the richest medieval burial mound ever found in Europe - Sutton Hoo.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Gilbert said:

The family ranch near Encinal, TX is apparently near or directly below the flight path of the US Airforce training route/path or routine flight path to ????

Every once in while we get a crazy mf flying low to the ground (less than 300 ft) leaving me shaking my boots. The sonic boom is deafening, makes the ground shake. 

I have a friend/client with a ranch right outside of Encinal, and those same guys buzz us too.

The Air Force had a major flight school at Laredo AFB before it closed and became Laredo International Airport. The Undergraduate Flight school was moved to Laughlin AFB near Del Rio and they fly the T-6A Texan II (single engine propeller trainer), T-1A Jayhawk (looks like an executive "Lear" jet) and the T-38 Talon, twin engine supersonic trainer, painted black and gray. Their MOA is west of Encinal. 

Then, to the east, you have Kingsville NAS,  and they have an MOA east of Encinal. They fly the T-45 Goshawk, one of the location where aviators learn to land on a carrier. It is a single engine jet usually painted white with red accents, but they had some done up in black and yellow for the 100th anniversary of naval flight. 

There is a possibility it could be something out of Randolph but that is way far north to be messing around in that area.

image.thumb.png.9f919aff9602d48f7a8733b0d2e3aba0.png

87th_Flying_Training_Squadron_-_T-38s_Laughlin_AFB_TX.jpg

T-45 WWII Paint.jpg

T-45 Goshawk.jpg

• Moderators
On 6/15/2021 at 6:51 PM, babadono said:

for what?

I think Bruce was referring to my comment that Bill Gates has it set up where his planes cannot be tracked by the public on flight tracker sites. It's pretty difficult to get that done, his may be the only non-govt aircraft that have that feature. Of course Microsoft may provide the software for those public tracking sites to begin with so it may not have been that hard to do.

• Moderators
On 6/13/2021 at 7:42 PM, dwilawyer said:

I'm trying to figure out what the world record would be. Speed, height.

http://absolutemichigan.com/michigan/michigan-history-soaring-beneath-the-bridge/

Same bridge, the Mackinac, in a bomber,  at 425 mph. 

From article quoted above:

"On April 24, 1959, Lappo, a Muskegon, Michigan, native and his five-man crew were returning from a routine simulated bomb run to the Lockbourne Air Force base near Columbus, Ohio. As Lappo later confessed, "I always wanted to fly under a big bridge. I thought it would be the Golden Gate."  Suddenly, the Mackinac Bridge came into view. Lappo polled the crew about his scheme to fly under the bridge. After the crew responded affirmatively with a 4 to 1 vote, Lappo declared, "I’m taking her under!"At a speed of 425 miles per hour, the RB-47 Stratojet raced through the 150-foot clearance between the roadbed framework and the Straits. In Lappo’s words, "It was exhilarating to say the least!"

An RB-47 was a six engine bomber, converted to reconnaissance. They look like a B-52, and have a wingspan of over 100'. "Exhilarating"? I bet.

33 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

I have a friend/client with a ranch right outside of Encinal, and those same guys buzz us too.

The Air Force had a major flight school at Laredo AFB before it closed and became Laredo International Airport. The Undergraduate Flight school was moved to Laughlin AFB near Del Rio and they fly the T-6A Texan II (single engine propeller trainer), T-1A Jayhawk (looks like an executive "Lear" jet) and the T-38 Talon, twin engine supersonic trainer, painted black and gray. Their MOA is west of Encinal. 

Then, to the east, you have Kingsville NAS,  and they have an MOA east of Encinal. They fly the T-45 Goshawk, one of the location where aviators learn to land on a carrier. It is a single engine jet usually painted white with red accents, but they had some done up in black and yellow for the 100th anniversary of naval flight. 

There is a possibility it could be something out of Randolph but that is way far north to be messing around in that area.

image.thumb.png.9f919aff9602d48f7a8733b0d2e3aba0.png

87th_Flying_Training_Squadron_-_T-38s_Laughlin_AFB_TX.jpg

T-45 WWII Paint.jpg

T-45 Goshawk.jpg

“MOA”?  Moment of Arc?

Those are cute little jets.  They look like a lot of fun to fly, but even those cost a fortune to run.  The only affordable way to fly them is to join the Air Force, or maybe the Navy.

15 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Watch the movie The Dig about amateur archeologist Basil Brown where he unearthed the richest medieval burial mound ever found in Europe - Sutton Hoo.

An excellent movie! We watched it a couple months ago. Very well done.

16 hours ago, Islander said:

“MOA”?  Moment of Arc?

Those are cute little jets.  They look like a lot of fun to fly, but even those cost a fortune to run.  The only affordable way to fly them is to join the Air Force, or maybe the Navy.

Military operating area in this case.

• Thanks 1