Preliminary info on the new Jubilee

PrestonTom

I found this over at one of the other audio forums. Please note that it is stamped "preliminary". 

As far as I understand things, availability and pricing are not yet set in stone. The rumor is that the price is high, possibly a bit more than 4x the cost of the current production Jubilee, however this includes the cosmetics and the DSP crossover. 

What is of note: 1) it is expensive, 2) the footprint is larger (no longer comparable to the current Jubilee or Klipschorn), 3) low frequency  extends to a lower frequency (although no qualifiers are mentioned i.e., required placement or +/- values), 4) bass bin is a single woofer & is vented & horn loaded 5) Crossover point is lower, 5) new tweeter driver, 6) cosmetics are fairly industrial looking so it is compatible with some decors, but probably not the majority of living rooms.

My personal view, it is probably best to withhold judgement until the product is finalized and actually shipping. 

Interesting times, 

-Tom

image.thumb.png.9c013a512d4d3714bee449fc5c1ebb07.png

image.thumb.png.2f6a0a6c38297532d71e9ace7981d526.png

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

As far as I understand things, availability and pricing are not yet set in stone. The rumor is that the price is high, possibly a bit more than 4x the cost of the current production Jubilee, however this includes the cosmetics and the DSP crossover. 

I think it would be an INCOMPLETE move for Klipsch to ship this new Flagship Product without POWER AMPLIFIERS AND DSP combined in one box. If I were buying a pair of Diamond Jubilees for 20-40K$ price range, I would be pissed if they didn't include power amps with it.

Really good Class D Amplifier are available cheap and 4 channels of amps could be easily integrated into the (as yet unknown) Klipsch Jubilee Electronics "box."

WITH the option of XLR/RCA connectors to different power amps of the owner's choice.............or not...............even if the user wanted to use (gasp) tubes on the top end!!

That in itself would make an even more compelling purchase.

14 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I think it would be an INCOMPLETE move for Klipsch to ship this new Flagship Product without POWER AMPLIFIERS AND DSP combined in one box. If I were buying a pair of Diamond Jubilees for 20-40K$ price range, I would be pissed if they didn't include power amps with it.

Really good Class D Amplifier are available cheap and 4 channels of amps could be easily integrated into the (as yet unknown) Klipsch Jubilee Electronics "box."

WITH the option of XLR/RCA connectors to different power amps of the owner's choice.............or not...............even if the user wanted to use (gasp) tubes on the top end!!

That would be nice.  I haven't heard any such thing but it would make sense.  To be honest if they DON'T do that, I'm afraid they might have a support nightmare on their hands without some significant training.  I've had trouble trying to help people get them set up remotely and that's after going to electrical engineering school, being a software engineer for 20 years, and being around audio for 30.  Some of these dealers aren't exactly the most technical people in the world and many potential customers are not at all.  Based on my experience with selling quite a few, even after having a mostly plug and play DSP solution., I don't see how they're going to open it up for anybody to sell to anybody without doing something like this.  As you said, people feel the need to want to mix and match amps for some reason, and just setting the gain alone is somewhat of a big deal to some.  Most people do not want to have to buy a microphone and laptop and download REW and all that jazz but without doing that it's not going to be correct.  

• Klipsch Employees
47 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Well I guess you’re going to be pissed!  Lol!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Klipsch Employees
34 minutes ago, Paducah Home Theater said:

That would be nice.  I haven't heard any such thing but it would make sense.  To be honest if they DON'T do that, I'm afraid they might have a support nightmare on their hands without some significant training.  I've had trouble trying to help people get them set up remotely and that's after going to electrical engineering school, being a software engineer for 20 years, and being around audio for 30.  Some of these dealers aren't exactly the most technical people in the world and many potential customers are not at all.  Based on my experience with selling quite a few, even after having a mostly plug and play DSP solution., I don't see how they're going to open it up for anybody to sell to anybody without doing something like this.  As you said, people feel the need to want to mix and match amps for some reason, and just setting the gain alone is somewhat of a big deal to some.  Most people do not want to have to buy a microphone and laptop and download REW and all that jazz but without doing that it's not going to be correct.  

I bet it will be just fine

• Like 2

Yes, it requires more than just knowledge of audio and that experience.

Even a playbook

with most eventualities and

graphs will only get you so far.

Familiarity certainly is not a 

given, although conveying 

confidence is a practical

pursuit.

Keeping it simple

is no guarantee of course.

Experience with customer

support and patience will go along way in satisfaction.

Word of mouth referral is a 

large factor in sales. Also, as 

mentioned, equipment

flexible to ones taste, instead 

of cookie cutter mentality. 

Custom, diverse fits for the 

masses. A somewhat lost art.

• Klipsch Employees
1 hour ago, PrestonTom said:

I found this over at one of the other audio forums. Please note that it is stamped "preliminary". 

What is of note: 1) it is expensive, 2) the footprint is larger (no longer comparable to the current Jubilee or Klipschorn), 3) low frequency  extends to a lower frequency (although no qualifiers are mentioned i.e., required placement or +/- values), 4) bass bin is a single woofer & is vented & horn loaded 5) Crossover is point is lower, 5) new tweeter driver, 6) cosmetics are fairly industrial looking so it is compatible with some decors, but probably not the majority of living rooms.

My personal view, it is probably best to withhold judgement until the product is finalized and actually shipping. 

Interesting times, 

-Tom

image.thumb.png.9c013a512d4d3714bee449fc5c1ebb07.png

image.thumb.png.2f6a0a6c38297532d71e9ace7981d526.png

Yes please note “PRELIMINARY “. 🙂

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

Well I guess you’re going to be pissed!  Lol!!

Glad I got your attention, Chief. I was just pushing the envelope to do so. So gotcha to reply.

Since, more than likely, would NOT be anyone's first pair of speakers, they probably would have amplifiers galore already.

I'm sure the bean counters would see it as a waste of money (or at the bottom of feature list), so best to put all the effort elsewhere in the product and let the Dealers sell the required power amps, aye?

• Like 2

Let's not worry about unlaid eggs yet (at least that's what they say in Germany)...
My insignificant two cents: It is important to find the happy medium. A solution that is too complicated and „multipart“ for the new target group, lets say in a way we Jubilee owners have been doing since about 2007 (but we do it with a lot of fun!), is on the one hand an overcharge for many consumers and for quite a few retailers. This potential target group of wealthy buyers do not want to program their Diamont Jubilees and select high frequency drivers or a DSP, just as they do not want to program the ECU or the dual clutch transmission of their Aston Martin.

But there is a very fine and subtle balancing act between too little simplicity and too much simplicity.

To a large extent, this target group will have a different mentality than the tinkerers and often recreational engineers that we are. We have to put ourselves in this mindset. Of course, this is not to say that some people here on the forum are also interested in the DJ and can afford it. But many members here are more technically active than many in the new target group, I would think.

I am not only a Klipsch enthusiast but in my main profession I am a in-depth psychologist and market researcher using qualitative methods, e.g. depth interviews and focus groups. I have not done a study for the Jubilees but I know the target group a little bit.

As I said, it must not be too complicated, because then consumers turn away. But it must also not be too simple, if only for emotional reasons.

In this price range, a complete solution including power amplifiers and perhaps also preamplifiers can be experienced as paternalism. These people spend a lot of money to buy a functioning system on the one hand. But on the other hand, they want to have the feeling of freedom in their decision and choices.

The personal choice, but without getting into an overload! is very important. The Aston Martin must offer driving programs, from cruise to sport street to trackday, even if 95% of buyers will never use the race track. 

The Jubilee needs a special care taking. But also the good feeling of an individual decision and the individual tailor-made adjustment to its new home.

For all the above reasons, I think the current offer is very well done. 
The new user does not have to
- program
- select driver
- select dsp.
From this point of view, the Diamont Jubilee can be experienced and understood as a complete working loudspeaker. That's fine. it's nothing more, nothing less. It remains in the familiar "loudspeaker" category.

The user simply needs to know that they must/ or may/ and are able to choose a pre and two stereo power amplifiers.

Now the dealer comes into play. Of course, the dealer (and not many will sell Jubilees, albeit around the world) has been very well briefed by Klipsch. The dealer will offer the prospective buyer a nice pre-selection of suitable solutions. Or he will tell which pre and power amps have worked very well with the Jubilee. Something like this many buyers know because they know other (simple) things, for example that there are speakers that eat a lot of power, and since it does not work with 5 watt amps, just to give an example.
In final effect remains the customers feeling of choice and the important feeling of possible customization that this price range and this clientele needs.

In summary, the Diamond Jubilee is not an experimental lab for its clientele, but it is also not a BBQ bluetooth all in one ready to play toy to be taken seriously.

By the way, I find the cosmetics very successful and not at all "industrial".

• Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, KT88 said:

In final effect remains the customers feeling of choice and the important feeling of possible customization that this price range and this clientele needs.

Yes indeed. And it should also come with a 75 year warranty while remaining flexible in gozinta gozouta choices!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

3) low frequency  extends to a lower frequency (although no qualifiers are mentioned i.e., required placement or +/- values),

The +/- values are mentioned.  They are just next to the specification name not the value:

FREQUENCY RESPONSE (+/- 3 dB)    18Hz – 20kHz

7 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

As far as I understand things, availability and pricing are not yet set in stone.

Certified Heritage Dealers have the pricing.  I was given the pricing when I placed my preorder, so I think the pricing is set.  No, I'm not going to reveal it unless someone from Klipsch or a dealer says the pricing is public knowledge.  🙂  However, I was not given any idea of availability.  The wait is going to kill me.

1 hour ago, MMurg said:

The +/- values are mentioned.  They are just next to the specification name not the value:

FREQUENCY RESPONSE (+/- 3 dB)    18Hz – 20kHz

In the past, some of the manufacturers(for the pro sound or commercial divisions)  like JBL or Klipsch would specify whether the measure was made free-field or half space and also what the -6dB or -10 dB response was so the installer or end user could get a idea about was their freq response was and what might be gained by placement in a corner or near a wall. I do not see that here. Please remember that these kinds of details lean toward advertising rather than technical specifications. All the manufactures do this. 

1 hour ago, MMurg said:

Certified Heritage Dealers have the pricing.  I was given the pricing when I placed my preorder, so I think the pricing is set.  No, I'm not going to reveal it unless someone from Klipsch or a dealer says the pricing is public knowledge.  🙂  However, I was not given any idea of availability.  The wait is going to kill me.

Well that is their decision on how they want to advertise these.

Please keep in mind that the first batch of the "new" Jubilees may be a special anniversary edition (special wrapping  etc on a limited run). What the "regular price" may be (after the "special edition") is still unknown to the public. Keep in mind that I am a cheap son of a gun and price does matter!

4 hours ago, MMurg said:

Certified Heritage Dealers have the pricing. 

Not totally.  A preliminary sales sheet was leaked inadvertently through me because everybody knows I'm excited about them.  I shared it because I was told it was ok to.  Apparently it was not.  Officially speaking it's still unofficial at this point.  

• Klipsch Employees
3 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

In the past, some of the manufacturers(for the pro sound or commercial divisions)  like JBL or Klipsch would specify whether the measure was made free-field or half space and also what the -6dB or -10 dB response was so the installer or end user could get a idea about was their freq response was and what might be gained by placement in a corner or near a wall. I do not see that here. Please remember that these kinds of details lean toward advertising rather than technical specifications. All the manufactures do this. 

Yeah I’m known for being an ad slick kinda  of a bonehead. 

10 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

I bet it will be just fine

Hope so.  I've just seen some dealers do things like literally not know what a Heresy is.  Not a clue.  They got short with the customer and made them provide a part number.  These same guys will be selling Jubilees and will be assisting with remote setups.  I suspect there will be some interesting situations is all.  Been curious as to how said situations will be avoided.  Training?  Dummy proof the hardware?  Automatic setup in the DSP?  Not entirely sure.  

• Klipsch Employees
4 hours ago, MMurg said:

If you were given a price for a preorder then that’s the price. I don’t think you will be disappointed with these jubs.