Preliminary info on the new Jubilee

PrestonTom

13 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Mike you drew that?

No.  I commissioned it.  It was done by Paul Lazarou, a tattoo artist from Down Under (https://www.instagram.com/p.laz.tattoo/).  He posted a similar La Scala drawing to one of the Klipsch Facebook groups a while back that he did for fun and I liked it.  So, I asked him to do the Palladium drawing (my current profile pic) and now I asked him to do a Jubilee drawing since I'm getting them.  It should be arriving in the mail in a few days.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

They sound ok?

I think it's fair to say that The Jubilee is a statement product, unlike the Pro model Jubilee.  That is  a great speaker, of course, but it looks like this is Roy's dream project, without the compromises that are normally part of every speaker's design.  The Jubilee is the very best that Roy and Klipsch can put on the market, so I don't think that anyone will be disappointed.  Keep in mind that these speakers deserve the best, not just in amplification, because to hear them at their best, as Roy designed them to sound, the whole signal path should be of the same quality as the speakers.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Islander said:

Keep in mind that these speakers deserver the best, not just in amplification, because to hear them at their best, as Roy designed them to sound, the whole signal path should be of the same quality as the speakers.

But the speaker is the most important part:)

51 minutes ago, Schu said:

I am still left wondering how adding tone controls to a system ADD's dynamic range...

Not sure what you mean.  The DSP had HF and LF gain controls which I assume are there to adjust for any amp gain differences if one tries to use different amps for HF and LF.

the overall dynamic range is fixed at the recording... is it not?

I only see attenuation and intensification of portions of the range that already exists... when using 'tone controls' or 'filters', unless I am already missing something.

though, as C has said many times in the past... if you de master, then perhaps there is room for clarification and understanding.

47 minutes ago, Schu said:

the overall dynamic range is fixed at the recording... is it not?

I only see attenuation and intensification of portions of the range that already exists... when using 'tone controls' or 'filters', unless I am already missing something.

though, as C has said many times in the past... if you de master, then perhaps there is room for clarification and understanding.

Are you talking about the Jubilee DSP?  The controls on the Jubilee DSP don't seem to be 'tone controls' or 'filters' (i.e. for adjusting the the frequency balance of a recording).  The rendering of the DSP in the CES video labels the controls as "gain".  I think they are just to adjust the gain on the signals going to the HF and LF amps to account for gain mismatches.  Perhaps @Chief bonehead can verify this...

On 6/14/2021 at 4:18 PM, Islander said:

Ideally, they’re all the same brand and model, so there are no issues with gain matching or timbre.

I've tried to preach this but people still want to mix and match.  Like you said, that's on them.  But some of the people who want to mix and match are the same ones who don't want to measure anything.  Also I've seen situations where people actually do set up two identical amps but the gain wasn't set so it was all wonky and I had to explain all that.  I keep half expecting some people to set things up and not realize that the gain isn't set up right.  It already happens today.  Just wondering how they're going to try to avoid this is all.  

• Thanks 1

When I set up my JubScalas, I just plugged both matching power amps into the Dx38 processor and used the settings provided by our Chief Bonehead.  No problems and no worries.  The power amps have no controls other than a button on the front to turn them on and a switch on the back to choose between the RCA and XLR inputs.  No gain adjustments.  I did have some issues with the cables from the AVR to the Dx, plus a grounding issue, but with the help of mikebse2a3 and a tech from our local concert sound company, Pacific Audio Works, I got those issues sorted.  They had nothing to do with the basic concept, and now I'm using an ART CleanboxPro to correct the matching issues between the home AVR and the pro audio Dx38.

The Dx38 is connected to the Yamaha MX-D1 power amps with Mogami XLR cables, and 13 years later, everything is still working perfectly.  There have been a few upgrades over time.  In 2013, I replaced the La Scalas with La Scala IIs, which was great in every way.  Next were a pair of K402 horns to replace the K510 horns in 2017, another big improvement.  The most recent upgrade was the switch from K-69-A drivers to the then-current K-691 drivers in 2019.  For that change, I had the help of my 16-year-old nephew, who lent his in-their-prime ears to confirm that the driver upgrade sounded immediately better.

Of course, now I'm wondering if or when the new K-693 drivers will be available, and will Roy will provide the Dx settings for them?  The leading edge continues to move on...

On 6/15/2021 at 10:53 AM, babadono said:

not if you have an expander:)

P1030642.jpg

My Yamaha RX-A2060 AVR has a built-in expander, which can be switched on to correct compressed radio broadcasts.  It operates only when the Input is switched to Tuner, Net Radio, or Phono, so I leave it on all the time.

• Like 1

The wood frame on the 402 looks a bit heavy handed to me, design wise...

I'd probably just vote to fill in the unused mounting holes and give it a good quality paint? Maybe a copper gild? It's hard because that horn is so large anything you do is going to feel a bit imposing.

7 hours ago, CANT said:

I'd probably just vote to fill in the unused mounting holes and give it a good quality paint? Maybe a copper gild? It's hard because that horn is so large anything you do is going to feel a bit imposing.

You could always trim down the top corners, like an old mantel clock, or just round them off.  There are so many possibilities.

As for paint, take a look at something like the Avantgarde speakers.  They have big round horns that are available in a variety of colours.  I don’t remember seeing any black Avantgarde horns.

7 hours ago, CANT said:

I put some black electrical tape over the holes on the back side, they pretty much disappeared. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LTusler said:

I put some black electrical tape over the holes on the back side, they pretty much disappeared. 

Wanna make sure I understand....just so light would not come through open holes? I am going to see what visual effect this has (to me) this evening.