K-400 differences

AudioDon

As I mentioned in another post, my pair of La Scala's were made in different years. 1 is from 1975, and the other from 1978.  The 2 K-400's have slightly different castings.  The later one has a smooth  outside of the throat, and the other has small square bumps about midway on the throat.  I've also noticed that the flanges that mount to the cabinet are different as well as the opening of the plywood.

Can someone explain the reason for the differences between the two and if they can be used together?  The sound the same to me but I am curious what the wisdom of the group has to say.

Thanks

I would like to come back to Don's question. Are there any differences in the sound? At some point I read that the older K400's are a little heavier and some say they have a better sound? Or are these fairy tales?
If I understand Don's question correctly it's not only about better vs. worse, but also the potential hope if there are no differences and he could use both different horns together in a stereo system?

1 minute ago, KT88 said:

I would like to come back to Don's question. Are there any differences in the sound? At some point I read that the older K400's are a little heavier and some say they have a better sound? Or are these fairy tales?
If I understand Don's question correctly it's not only about better vs. worse, but also the potential hope if there are no differences and he could use both different horns together in a stereo system?

Thanks,

What I noticed is that the newer seemed a little more open and livelier, while the older less so, perhaps heavier is a good way to describe it.  In the end I got a little confused about what I was hearing because I was trying different amps and swapping K-55V drivers.  Also one of the speaker positions is next to an opening to a another room and that effects the sound 

You might want to temporarily damp the one that seems livelier. You can place a bag of BBs, shot, rocks, whatever, on the bell area closer to the mouth, and see if that changes the sound.

I've not heard any ringing or anything with my K-400s, and once the flange is screwed to the baffle, any should me gone, but other say it is so.

Bruce

On 6/13/2021 at 6:02 PM, AudioDon said:

Thanks,

What I noticed is that the newer seemed a little more open and livelier, while the older less so, perhaps heavier is a good way to describe it.  In the end I got a little confused about what I was hearing because I was trying different amps and swapping K-55V drivers.  Also one of the speaker positions is next to an opening to a another room and that effects the sound 

you can smooth out the imperfections and fill in any voids  ,  or simply buy a new set of plastic/composite  K401 horns  ,  I like the older , horns , they look  awesome uncovered , except for the frontal part , but the new K401 is perfect from the rear to  the front being a CAD design -