Heresy HSM rebuild or new project?

I recently was gifted a mismatched pair of slant monitors. Cabinets are very solid. Handles are mismatched. Both terminal plates are missing. Both k77s have bad coils. One k55 has push terminals, one has soldered. One k55 coil is bad. HIE x-overs look physically ok. Both k42 (kp?) woofers are in good shape though. SIGH! My gifts are usually like this. My main setup has Heresy IIs and I love them. My question is what the heck to do with the components or rebuild the whole. I have built hundreds of enclosures and passive crossover networks  in my career as an audio technician so I am not afraid of a project. From what I understand the woofers roll off pretty high. So maybe new ported enclosure? Bass bin like lascala? What do you think guys?BE82507F-1D03-4369-A1A5-63A17A5086B2.thumb.jpeg.e12851eaf693cb1217166b1f574c9f40.jpeg

• Like 2

Source the parts and rebuild them.  Well worth it.  The diaphrams in the K-77's and K-55V are replaceable and not really expensive at all.  The cabinets look sound.  Place a WTP ad for the input plates or see if Trey Cannon might happen to be able to get his hands on some for you.  I had to build my second pair of Heresy HIP's piece by piece but it was well worth it.  Yeah they roll off higher but they are almost as efficient as a La Scala and the midrange and highs are astounding.  I use one pair as my rear effects speakers and you can hear every minute detail in the movie sountracks.

I would suggest rehabbing them. I only inherited a set of alum trim for one HIP and built from there. You have (almost) all the parts.

Polish the trim and put a fresh coat of duratex on the cabinet. (you can re anondize the trim but then you're getting expensive.)

The smaller cabinet of the slant monitor makes good deep bass a little tough but someone might have an idea how to port. The HIP has a slot port at the bottom but the size of the cabinet comes into play. Post more pics. If the handle is the same as what I had, you can find the exact (minus the logo) handle @  PE! Have at it! Looks like fun to me.

IMG_0971.thumb.jpg.74ed48785ab0e09ad28dbdbd98fc6f5b.jpg

• Like 1

Is the cabinet size identical to the home-use Heresy? I found a pair of H-DB-12s, and am wondering if I could mod those for PA use similar to the HIP. I'd like to repaint and add similar trim, as well as a stand cup on the bottom.

TIA

John Moore

Heresy Klipsch H-DB-12.jpg

The HIP is slightly taller than a normal Heresy is my experience. When I got the trim, I test fit it on my existing Heresy and the trim was too long on the height, correct on the depth. This came in handy when I built the boxes because there is barely enough room for the drivers after you deduct the 1" tall port and the additional board for the top of the port. I made it in but not much to spare. If I need to remove the tweeter, I have to take the top handle off first as it extends down just to the rear of the tweeter.

I have used a version of @ClaudeJ1 super Heresy but that puts the port in the rear of the cabinet which is not ideal for PA use. Also had to switch woofers for best results.

The slant monitor's shape makes the internal volume much less than the standard H1 or HIP

I you literally want to "cut corners" a Super Heresy Port (or 2) can be made by cutting the bottom R and L Corners and putting a 4" piece of plywood to extend each one and tune as deep as the rear port would. You have to calculate the same amount of Air as the single rear port split into two 45 degree ports, so it would work.