The Fives HDMI Issue

I recently bought and installed The Fives and I can't seem to get the HDMI imput to work from my windows 10 PC.  This is so frustrating as I just spent a week teaching myself how to solder so I could build a custom length 4 pin audio cable to connect the two speakers together as the standard included one was the wrong length and wrong color. Now I can't even get audio output from my brand new PC build. Yikes.

Things I've tried;

used 2 different HDMI cables (verified they worked on other devices and monitors).

• Connected the speakers to a my new AMD Ryzen build HTPC output via HDMI.  No connection or popup to indicate a new audio output option.
  • Connected the speakers to a chromebook output via HDMI.  No connection or popup to indicate a new audio output option.
  • Connected the speakers to a win 10 laptop output via HDMI.  No connection or popup to indicate a new audio output option.

All sound drivers on the win 10 pcs work and the HDMI output ports work otherwise.

The speakers work great via Bluetooth from my Android, however the Fives don't connect to my new PC's built in bluetooth, not a deal-breaker, but annoying for troubleshooting purposes.

What I'd like to know:

1. On the Fives, does the HDMI even work as an audio output from a PC?
  2. Did I get defective speakers or do they somehow only work from actual TVs or receivers?

Klipsch has a big issue with hdmi, not just for The Fives but also for their soundbars. It is buggy, and for some reason, Klipsch support can't come with a solution. In Australia, many customers have sent back their purchase, for this reason. Google for it. 

The HDMI port on The Fives is an HDMI-ARC port which has to be connected to another HDMI-ARC port. I've never seen an HDMI-ARC port on a PC but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I'm guessing that's what your problem is. ARC is "Audio Return Channel" and HDMI-ARC ports on powered speakers and soundbars are meant to connect to your TV's HDMI-ARC port to send the audio from your TV to the speakers. Check the specs for your Win10 PC to see if it has an HDMI-ARC port or HDMI only.

-Skip

• Like 2

I just got The Fives today and connected them to an LG C8 television set. I use the HDMI ARC (audio return channel) out on the LG into The Fives HDMI input. Works perfect. HDMI  is very different than HDMI ARC. For success one must clearly understand the that difference...as the poster just above articulated so well!

The Fives sound best to me after about 6 hours of constant audio signal break in and with the Klipsch default Dynamic Bass EQ disabled. This feature is enabled from Klipsch by default but the instruction manual clearly explains how to disable it...I think many will prefer it disabled for TV listening.

The hardest part setting these up is, when unboxing, removing the battery cover from the remote (without breaking it) to install the supplied batteries! Beyond that unneeded challenge (45 minutes of wasted time IMO), I like The Fives for TV for $800. Better than a sound bar, IMO, and the stereo is so refreshing (spatially) compared to all the other home theater solutions that are out there today. Very simple, very elegant. Good sound. For me The Fives replaces a replaces a (Sonus arc) soundbar and sub and no regrets whatsoever.

In the future The Fives should have more "on board" EQ control; at least a scooped mid and treble boost option. They do not lack bass when the dynamic bass EQ is enabled. When the Dynamic bass is disabled it sounds more natural and still has enough bass in a mid sized room about 1 foot from the back wall (position from the back wall to sonic preference). Klipsch should pay the same attention to user controlled mids and treble adjustments; and maybe just a tad more clarity with spatial imaging...all that would compel me to spend double...for the next gen of this product.

My advice, buy this product and connect the HDMI arc as per Klipsch direction. Enjoy the simple elegance of the sound.

Buck

21 hours ago, techguy52 said:

The HDMI port on The Fives is an HDMI-ARC port which has to be connected to another HDMI-ARC port. I've never seen an HDMI-ARC port on a PC but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I'm guessing that's what your problem is. ARC is "Audio Return Channel" and HDMI-ARC ports on powered speakers and soundbars are meant to connect to your TV's HDMI-ARC port to send the audio from your TV to the speakers. Check the specs for your Win10 PC to see if it has an HDMI-ARC port or HDMI only.

-Skip

As the hdmi and hdmi arc plug look similar, and fit, Klipsch should at least better inform the customer, and even build in a feedback led  signaling that something is not right. 

image.png.9d4f17b325ba9fd067fbf3adab76458e.png

But then again, Klipsch clearly instructs to connect the Fives to a computer using USB. 

https://support.klipsch.com/hc/en-us/articles/360043042612-The-Fives-Connecting-to-a-Computer

image.png.dc801d098d75fe94010d41f962bb69c7.png

Thanks for the responses;

I've updated the firmware and done and reset and no HDMI, but I'm starting to think you guys are right and that PC's/laptop's HDMI port are not designed to output sound to these speakers.

I've tried 2 different Win 10 laptops, my HTPC, and a Chromebook and none of them register or can output to HDMI.

I had a bad experience with my Klipsch RP-15 where after 3 good years of use all of the inputs died, and it seemed to me the catalyst was USB input. I sent them in Klipsch for re-conditioning and it's been 6 months of me not having speakers (apparently that model is on backorder).  I gave up waiting for them to send me a new pair of my old speakers so I bought the Fives and built a new home theater but not it's been two weeks of no audio and I have to say it's pretty frustrating.

It's for that reason I am trying to do everything but use a USB cable, but I could be convinced if someone gives me a good reason.  I bought a 32ft SPDIF cable, anyone mind telling me what the differences between Optical and USB will be? Will I miss out on features?

Many thanks!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HDapartment said:

It's for that reason I am trying to do everything but use a USB cable, but I could be convinced if someone gives me a good reason. 

I can't see many problems with usb. https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/en/blog/our-guide-usb-audio-why-should-i-use-it 

Don't get fooled by the numbers nor obsessed by them. Trust your ears instead and enjoy the music.

I'm 52 and just because of my age, my ears don't pick up as many details as when I was 25, but I still enjoy music, and I can recognize a good song, and distinguish between a well mastered and a badly mastered recording.

19 hours ago, HDapartment said:

Thanks for the responses;

I've updated the firmware and done and reset and no HDMI, but I'm starting to think you guys are right and that PC's/laptop's HDMI port are not designed to output sound to these speakers.

I've tried 2 different Win 10 laptops, my HTPC, and a Chromebook and none of them register or can output to HDMI.

I had a bad experience with my Klipsch RP-15 where after 3 good years of use all of the inputs died, and it seemed to me the catalyst was USB input. I sent them in Klipsch for re-conditioning and it's been 6 months of me not having speakers (apparently that model is on backorder).  I gave up waiting for them to send me a new pair of my old speakers so I bought the Fives and built a new home theater but not it's been two weeks of no audio and I have to say it's pretty frustrating.

It's for that reason I am trying to do everything but use a USB cable, but I could be convinced if someone gives me a good reason.  I bought a 32ft SPDIF cable, anyone mind telling me what the differences between Optical and USB will be? Will I miss out on features?

Many thanks!

On the The Fives there should be no difference between the Optical & USB connections, both support up to 192kHz/24-bit decoding according to some of the online reviews. Use whichever one you are the most comfortable with.

-Skip

Edited by techguy52

• 2 weeks later...