Stock KLF-30’s sound fine to me, maybe it’s the Fletcher-Munson curve

gilligan

Hello everybody I’m new to the klipsch forum. I’m a proud new owner of a pair of gently used KLF-30 speakers and after reading a lot of posts about their shortcomings I must say I have yet to be disappointed and do not feel the need to address any of the perceived issues that others have had. I will admit that the bass is lacking if they are being driven with under 2 watts or so. Initially I was disappointed with that because I was hoping to be able to drive them with some flea watt tube amplifiers but I think they really come alive when fed with some real power. The bass in particular really comes through starting at about 10-15 watts SS power which is good because I would like to experiment with bi-amplification later on down the road.

I am aware of the issues with the baffles coming apart but haven’t noticed that happening to mine, but it might after this daft punk listening session 😁 I am also aware of the crites diaphragms for the mid and tweet which I do plan to try in the future, but for now the stock diaphragms are tolerable. I will look into damping the mid horn though because I imagine that would produce noticeable improvements. Bracing is in the plans as well, that’s just a no brainer. As far as the ciare woofers go, I am not convinced. I do believe that it may be an improvement, but I would like those who have done this modification to elaborate on exactly what is improved because I would hate to spend $500+ and have these bad boys start to sound “bloated”. 

Anyway, I think these are great loudspeakers as they are so once I have the time to let curiosity get the best of me I will most definitely start to update/upgrade/retrofit these beasts, but I must say even as they stand now they are formidable heavyweights. I’ve owned LaScalas and cornwall ii’s and these keep up with and in some aspects exceed those models. Of course, the 1980’s lascalas have a beautiful midrange that is tough to beat, but the KLF’s make up for it in other ways, primarily in the bass region, which makes them an overall more enjoyable listening experience for me. Cheers to all you klipschonians. Be blessed.

-Gilligan

Edited by gilligan
  • Like 1