The Fives — Dynamic Bass EQ

scdfndr

I’ve owned my Fives for about 6 months. I use them exclusively with a turntable. I’m generally very pleased with them. One thing however has always puzzled me. Their reputation is that they are very bass heavy, too much so for some. I also know there is a dynamic bass EQ function that allows you to add or reduce bass. I do not experience the heavy bass as others report. And when I enable or disable the dynamic bass EQ I hear no difference. (I’m speaking here of the function enabled by the remote and confirmed with two flashes on the LED readout. I have not installed the firmware update that allows you to cut the bass.) I recently tested this again playing the bass heavy “hot mix” of Led Zep II. Again, no difference with function on or off and the bass just seems normal on both settings. While I’m happy with the speakers as they are, I wonder if I have somehow not installed them correctly or they are for some reason not working properly. I did read one review that noted the same thing — no difference between the two settings. Has anyone else has had or heard of this issue? Thanks 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I have these speakers as long as you do and I can say for sure that if you toggle the Dynamic Bass EQ with your remote between a single and double blink, on a bass heavy track you'll hear a significant difference. Though my room is not too big and the speakers are rather close to the wall. Maybe if yours are far away and in a big room then you could have problem hearing the difference.

Or maybe there's a technical problem. E.g. my sub out stopped working, i.e. my sub doesn't get any signal so...

If you look at Klipsch's tech explanation of how it works it is a sliding scale of volume that activates it much like a "loudness" control on older receivers and such. It is at decreasing volume levels it was intended to raise the lower end to allow for the decrease in our ears sensitivities to the lower frequencies. I would assume you've also downloaded and executed the latest firmware update for the Fives which is a fix for that control as well. If not do so. Firmware | Klipsch