Heresy Woofers

Bulkogi

23 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

Randy’s right. It ain’t a klipsch. But you go enjoy. It’s just not a klipsch anymore. Enjoy!!

I respectfully disagree, for the reason that I stated here. It's more about the attitude than it is about the bits and pieces.

2 hours ago, Budman said:

23 post 

44810 post

difference of

I would give zero weight to the number posts that someone has. There is one guy on the forum that probably racks up 2000 posts in two weeks. Do the arithmetic, do you think those are thoughtful comments he is making?

• Like 2

• Klipsch Employees
1 hour ago, Deang said:

Is it completely lost on some of you that this is the Technical/MODIFICATIONS section of the forum? All of this wasted energy criticizing people for fixing and modding old loudspeakers. 

What’s your point deano?  Here’s mine and oh mr k’s too. Mod all you want. But it’s not a klipsch speaker anymore. Comprende?  Stupid simple bro. 

• Klipsch Employees
3 hours ago, Edgar said:

I respectfully disagree, for the reason that I stated here. It's more about the attitude than it is about the bits and pieces.

You can have your opinion but not your facts. You guys better be glad mr K aint around to hear how some people chop up his babies. 

• Klipsch Employees
2 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

I would give zero weight to the number posts that someone has. There is one guy on the forum that probably racks up 2000 posts in two weeks. Do the arithmetic, do you think those are thoughtful comments he is making?

So why exactly does that bother you?

2 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:
5 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

It's just not 100% Klipsch anymore. Just like putting better headlights in a car doesn't change its make or model. 

Headlights???  Come on man!!! Lol!

For simple illustrations, yes. Putting and tuning a better tweeter than was offered 30 years ago is not the same as replacing all of the components with Rat Shack's offerings.  
You are highly respected for what you do and the respect was earned. You're not putting the same mid horns in the new Cornwall, Forte and other speakers and the new crossover networks aren't the same as the old because what you're making now sounds better than what used to be made....and the new speakers with different components are still called Klipsch Heresy, Klipsch Forte, Klipsch Cornwall, etc.... No problem, right? 
Others have been doing that for several years.  

• Like 1

The short version. It's about originality and authenticity versus change, whatever change, whether a Heresy II for example can still call itself Klipsch.

The long version (only for those who want it).
My 2 cent. A new Heresy IV sounds different from a Heresy II. It uses different components in some places. It is the product development of the original over the decades. It is the Klipsch speaker of today.
Now there are different possibilities what to do with a Heresy II today. Either one tries to restore the historically correct original with new equivalent/NOS original parts,
or you modify the original intention of Klipsch because you want to adapt the sound to your taste or your personal expectations. And at this point I think I understand Roy in the way, any deviation leads to the fact that it is no longer an authentic Klipsch Heresy II.

It's actually quite simple for me to understand, either you preserve the original build and performance, or you change it.
I haven't even heard that modifications are "forbidden". But you have to accept the consequences as far as originality is concerned, even if a) the modification and b) the changed sound should be fun. An additional issue could be that there are also parts whose influence on originality not everyone is aware of. 

It's the same in other categories. If you restore a 1964 Mercedes Pagoda, you can aim for the original, which almost everyone does. But you can modify the chassis and put in a 2015 engine. It has more horsepower, consumes less fuel and accelerates more powerfully. But it is no longer an original Mercedes. This is true even though a Mercedes from today also uses other parts.

Who plays an original Les Paul from 1959, would he install other pick ups or pots because he wants to "improve" something? 

The only difference in the car and the guitar is that the changes come with a price drop of up to six figures. But still, in principle it's the same background with a historic Klipsch speaker.

This logical aspect has nothing to do with what you like to begin with. Personally, I am having a lot of fun these weeks trying to get back to an original state of my 1977 LaScala, or at least aiming for it to a large extent. Not out of obsessiveness or out of subservience, but out of interest to see what the time machine does. So far I am very pleasantly surprised at how well I like the "change" to the refreshed state of the original. It's really amazing what, for example, new (but Atlas original) diaphragm can do after 44 years, as I wrote yesterday.
But those who only know the very old diaphragms that might have become brittle over time might be tempted to say, oh, a K400 horn has a sound I don't like so much.
But this case is also very personally motivated. Not everyone has to like it. 
Does my original LaScala sound "better" than a modified one? Does a new original AL5 sound "better" than a refreshed original 1977 Lascala? To go a little deeper: Do music recordings from 1977 sound better on a restored LaScala from that era? Do recordings from today sound better on an AL5? There might be some truth to that.

Of course, you can argue that PWK didn't have "better" tweeters 50 years ago, for example. But that does not change the question of authenticity. BTW I like the sound of the K77 and the way it blends with the speakers sound. 

And to some extent, respect also plays an emotional role with me. This is also not a command to others.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

And that keeps you up at night deano?

No, work does.

I only noticed it when I went to check his profile for his latest posts and saw he was just posting link after link in rapid succession. I was like, man, it’s just not the Klipsch forum anymore.

• Like 1

What’s your point deano?  Here’s mine and oh mr k’s too. Mod all you want. But it’s not a klipsch speaker anymore. Comprende?

Sure, I get it, and so does most everyone else. It’s now a modified Klipsch loudspeaker - that was my exact point. 

4 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

...You're not putting the same mid horns in the new Cornwall, Forte and other speakers and the new crossover networks aren't the same as the old because what you're making now sounds better than what used to be made....and the new speakers with different components are still called Klipsch Heresy, Klipsch Forte, Klipsch Cornwall, etc.... No problem, right? 
Others have been doing that for several years.  

Right, but Roy works for and represents Klipsch, so when he does it, it’s still a Klipsch loudspeaker. 

You can have your opinion but not your facts. You guys better be glad mr K aint around to hear how some people chop up his babies. 

I do understand. I've published technical papers, then had others use my work in their own research. Some of the results were brilliant, and I am appreciative of the improvements that they made. Others just left me shaking my head in disbelief, because they so completely botched the effort.

33 minutes ago, Deang said:

Right, but Roy works for and represents Klipsch, so when he does it, it’s still a Klipsch loudspeaker. 

I replaced the Bridgestone tires that came on my 2014 Yamaha FJR-1300 with some Pirelli Angel tires. The Pirelli have better grip in the rain and in the dry. By some people's reasoning, I no longer should say that the bike is a Yamaha FJR. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Deang said:

All of this wasted energy criticizing people for fixing and modding old loudspeakers. 

Awww, come on Deano, don't you know that you have to bend the knee, otherwise you're persona non grata.  Comprende?  Stupid simple bro.

25 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I replaced the Bridgestone tires that came on my 2014 Yamaha FJR-1300 with some Pirelli Angel tires. [...] By some people's reasoning, I no longer should say that the bike is a Yamaha FJR. 

The very same analogy occurred to me. It really is a matter of where one draws the line. I can appreciate the stance that Roy takes and Mr. Klipsch took on the matter, but it does restrict one's options for "personalization".