Heresy Woofers

Bulkogi

39 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I replaced the Bridgestone tires that came on my 2014 Yamaha FJR-1300 with some Pirelli Angel tires. The Pirelli have better grip in the rain and in the dry. By some people's reasoning, I no longer should say that the bike is a Yamaha FJR. 

I think that the examples with tube rolling (as long as it is the same type) and motorcycle tires do not necessarily fit. It's too much on the periphery and they are wear parts over shorter periods of time. Something else would be, like in the Mercedes Pagoda example, if it gets a 30 years younger and different engine.

12 hours ago, Deang said:

Is it completely lost on some of you that this is the Technical/MODIFICATIONS section of the forum? All of this wasted energy criticizing people for fixing and modding old loudspeakers. 

Point taken

Perhaps a good, low cost and easily reversible start

would be getting a few new back wood covers for the Heresys

and experiment with port tubes, sizes and lengths

If he's interested in Bass.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Budman said:

i'm sure when you need new brake pads - rotors- spark plugs - air filters for your ride you hop on down to your local Ford - GM - Chryler dealership to get those parts

or do you just go to AutoZone

i didn't hear you

All parts that are  engineered and guaranteed for the vehicle, if you are running stock

it's why you can run to any store and buy the stock replacement parts.

16 hours ago, Budman said:

23 post 

44810 post

difference of

Sigh.  I am not a newbie.  I was JoshT on this forum years ago and have asked to get my old moniker back.  I'll ask again.

And I'm 55 years old and have enjoyed listening to Klipsch speakers since lurking at the Music Box in Wellesley, MA in the late 1970s where Mr. Bell would demonstrate the Klipschorn to jaw dropped customers on a regular basis.  It's true that I have only owned KLF 20s and these Heresy IIs, but I'm not a newbie here or to Klipsch.

Not that that should matter either way.  My comments to Randy stand.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

Randy’s right. It ain’t a klipsch. But you go enjoy. It’s just not a klipsch anymore. Enjoy!!

Roy,

I'm a bit surprised by this response from you.  I understand who you are, and your unequaled role in making Klipsch what it is today, including by maintaining its status after PWK's passing and the company's sale to VOX.  

But to say my Klipsch Heresy IIs "ain't a Klipsch" because I had Crites recap the crossovers and because I'm auditioning their titanium tweeter diaphragms in what is otherwise a set of bone stock 1989 Heresy II, strikes me as a bit glib.  Would you have me recap the crossovers myself with original electrolytic capacitors?  Would they still be Klipsch then?  And as for the diaphragms, I still have the originals and can put them back in if and when I want.

But you are the guru, and your mileage may vary.

For what it's worth, if you're interested, I just now posted a more fulsome report on my refurbishing project in the forum.

In any event, I am very glad that you have continued Paul Klipsch's legacy.

Respectfully,

Josh Thayer

On 6/22/2021 at 12:03 PM, Bulkogi said:

Sigh.  I am not a newbie.  I was JoshT on this forum years ago and have asked to get my old moniker back.  I'll ask again.

And I'm 55 years old and have enjoyed listening to Klipsch speakers since lurking at the Music Box in Wellesley, MA in the late 1970s where Mr. Bell would demonstrate the Klipschorn to jaw dropped customers on a regular basis.  It's true that I have only owned KLF 20s and these Heresy IIs, but I'm not a newbie here or to Klipsch.

Not that that should matter either way.  My comments to Randy stand.

nm

23 minutes ago, Bulkogi said:

Sigh.  I am not a newbie.  I was JoshT on this forum years ago

Not to worry.  There are some here that think that the greater the number of posts, no matter how thoughtless most are, gives them increased importance and credibility, which is of course not the case.  You are welcome and valued.  Take care.

8 hours ago, MookieStl said:

with the natural color of the wood (+/-) it looks perfect.

I would call that image "The EYE of the Tweeter!"  Squint at it a bit and looks like Cyclops. You will never UNsee it after that!

16 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I replaced the Bridgestone tires that came on my 2014 Yamaha FJR-1300 with some Pirelli Angel tires. The Pirelli have better grip in the rain and in the dry. By some people's reasoning, I no longer should say that the bike is a Yamaha FJR. 

Yamaha racing bikes used to come with Yokohama tires that were so useless that many riders called them "rim protectors", and swapped them out before even thinking of heading onto a racetrack.  Stock or not, racebike owners fit what works to help them win races, whatever brand they might be.

Here's one way to look at it.  There's the desire to improve performance, which motivates owners to swap in what helps to improve performance.  That's valid for daily use, or for track use.  Then there's the custom bike show, or the Concours d'Elegance, which is mostly for cars.  In the Vintage section of the bike show, the bikes must be as original as possible.  In the bike show that I used to manage, there was a guy who had the most beautiful and original Indian you would ever see.  However, he'd fitted clutch and brake cables with stainless steel covers (and maybe throttle cable too, but I've forgotten that detail.  They may also have been improved cables, so maybe they made the bike operate better.).  Every year, we'd take off points for those non-original cable covers, which you could spot from fifty feet away.  He didn't want to fit the original parts, which would not have mattered in any other section of the show, since it was a custom bike show, after all.  

For our uses, why worry about our speakers' "degree of originality"?  It's how they sound, and maybe look, that matters.  100% original matters only if they'll be on display in a museum.  Is your house a museum?  No?  Well, then, do what you like to make your speakers please your ears, and maybe eyes.  Why split hairs over what makes a Klipsch speaker a Klipsch speaker?  We're here to have fun.  Let's remember that.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Islander said:

Yamaha racing bikes used to come with Yokohama tires that were so useless that many riders called them "rim protectors", and swapped them out before even thinking of heading onto a racetrack.  Stock or not, racebike owners fit what works to help them win races, whatever brand they might be.

Here's one way to look at it.  There's the desire to improve performance, which motivates owners to swap in what helps to improve performance.  That's valid for daily use, or for track use.  Then there's the custom bike show, or the Concours d'Elegance, which is mostly for cars.  In the Vintage section of the bike show, the bikes must be as original as possible.  In the bike show that I used to manage, there was a guy who had the most beautiful and original Indian you would ever see.  However, he'd fitted clutch and brake cables with stainless steel covers (and maybe throttle cable too, but I've forgotten that detail.  They may also have been improved cables, so maybe they made the bike operate better.).  Every year, we'd take off points for those non-original cable covers, which you could spot from fifty feet away.  He didn't want to fit the original parts, which would not have mattered in any other section of the show, since it was a custom bike show, after all.  

For our uses, why worry about our speakers' "degree of originality"?  It's how they sound, and maybe look, that matters.  100% original matters only if they'll be on display in a museum.  Is your house a museum?  No?  Well, then, do what you like to make your speakers please your ears, and maybe eyes.  Why split hairs over what makes a Klipsch speaker a Klipsch speaker?  We're here to have fun.  Let's remember that.

Those are great examples you gave, Islander. You nailed it with the motorcycle show competition...The guy with the cables with stainless steel covers wants it just so...it's more important to him than getting "more points".

My reasoning was aimed at getting to know wide areas of original condition with original parts first if one doesn't know how it sounded but it could please.
On the other side I must admit that your view of things is very human and very understandable. It has made me think. Above all, your post makes me accept very well that if someone knows what he does and what he wants to achieve I can accept and respect his modification for his goals even if Klipsch says, it is not any longer Klipsch.

just as I respect originality on the other side. And yes...our houses and apartments should most of it not be museums.

I like your term „degree of originality“ very much, so let someone define what is full originality and everyone has the freedom of choice to sacrifice an amount of degree of it or not, and we respect both, the status of full originality as well as the changes someone makes for his or her own pleasure. 

May be it is also the use of language that plays a role. Perhaps it is a bit hard-hearted to say that a modified Klipsch is no longer a Klipsch. Ok, maybe no longer as originally intended by PWK. 
But even with the installation of a 40 year newer engine, you wouldn't say it's no longer a Mercedes at all.
Why not say there are people who like degrees of freedom to tune their Klipsch speaker. Then it is a modified Klipsch speaker, but one does not take away the Klipsch origin, identity and name. It is not a bastard just because people want to realize their ideas as long as it is not a completely different construction.

And stupidity of people without a clue sometimes happen, with car tuning just as with speaker tuning.

Would that be the basis for a compatible coexistence of both camps?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6F7AAD97-5ED0-4901-8073-BD2A3CC94F49.thumb.jpeg.bdec8e68a1dcc1cf7a7991485dfb53bb.jpeg

29D5661B-FF3C-4BA8-B7C3-61E47BD2EC1C.jpeg.e7baea47d62cfd2251f286f8ceed1bd4.jpeg

When someone uses the word “Upgraded” to describe a change to something it can be very misleading and especially to the inventor of the item who didn’t have anything to do with the changes from the original design. IMHO only the inventor has a legitimate right to change a design and call it an upgrade.  

If you customize a Klipsch Loudspeaker it is to suit an individual’s specification/reasons and would best be described as  “Customized” as for example: “this is my Customized Klipsch Cornwall” and then everyone should understand it is no longer an Original Klipsch Loudspeaker by design or name and should at a minimum be referred to as a “Customized Klipsch Cornwall as in the previous example” which then clearly indicates it is no longer an original design approved by Klipsch.

To “customize” something is to make it your own and different from the original and speaking for myself I enjoy customizing things to suit my individual needs or ideas and others are free to judge my customized designs but I also understand why the original designer wouldn’t want me calling my customized design by its original name alone since they had no say in my customizations.

miketn

24 minutes ago, mikebse2a3 said:

To “customize” something is to make it your own and different from the original

"Modified" also works. "Customized" implies that there is some intelligence behind the changes. "Modified" also covers those cases where there is not. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mikebse2a3 said:

If you customize a Klipsch Loudspeaker it is to suit an individual’s specification/reasons and would best be described as  “Customized” as for example: “this is my Customized Klipsch Cornwall” and then everyone should understand it is no longer an Original Klipsch Loudspeaker by design or name and should at a minimum be referred to as a “Customized Klipsch Cornwall as in the previous example” which then clearly indicates it is no longer an original design approved by Klipsch.

To “customize” something is to make it your own and different from the original and speaking for myself I enjoy customizing things to suit my individual needs or ideas and others are free to judge my customized designs but I also understand why the original designer wouldn’t want me calling my customized design by its original name alone since they had no say in my customizations.

miketn

Customized is also a phrase, at least to my understanding, that is used when a customer wants a personal modification that is originally realized by the factory...and therefore it is very original.

E.g. companies like Mercedes or Porsche have special departments, so that every rich sheik gets his customized car, which exists only once.

Gibson has in turn derived a marketing element from the customized product idea. It's better quality than off the shelf, but it's not exactly personalized. It's small batches shared with a few other customers that make you feel good. It's the Gibson custom shop. For example, I have a Michael Bloomfield and an Eric Clapton Les Paul (Beano). Both excellent copies from the Gibson custom shop, each came in 2009 and 2010 with 300 pieces in total.

• Like 1