Heresy Woofers

Bulkogi

4 hours ago, RandyH001 said:

NOPE - you can  join  a  DIY FORUM and call it a modified Klipsch or a custom Klipsch design , no one will care , but  on the klipsch forum  ,you can't  unless you have the express permission of Klipsch -

I reckon I'll call them what I want...no if, ands, or buts...

• Like 2

This word game and the back and forth over words and definition's is going overboard over nothing essentially.

One person read my short version and understood. Another read it another way. Was thinking it may happen, and started to redefine statement.

Thing is, I am not a modder anyway.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, billybob said:
4 hours ago, RandyH001 said:

NOPE - you can  join  a  DIY FORUM and call it a modified Klipsch or a custom Klipsch design , no one will care , but  on the klipsch forum  ,you can't  unless you have the express permission of Klipsch -

Billy, how dare you say that? You must have the express permission to do what you want with what you paid for, and it has to be in writing. You heard it from the who must have had a moistened bink lob a scimitar at him and ever since has been constantly posting about everyone's mistakes. 

😜

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Billy, how dare you say that? You must have the express permission to do what you want with what you paid for, and it has to be in writing. You heard it from the who must have had a moistened bink lob a scimitar at him and ever since has been constantly posting about everyone's mistakes. 

😜

Yes, I have auto-correct for that. Too much ado about nothing.

Adults here and do not require having having someone hold my hand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billybob said:

Yep.  I told my wife what Roy said, and her joking response was, "Fine!  Let's remove the Klipsch labels and replace them with Thayer labels!"  (My last name.)

But, no.  They're still Klipsch to me.

IMG_2603.jpg

IMG_2606.jpg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Yes Klipsch could customize their products and it would be an original item designed and customized by them… but anyone other than Klipsch customizing or modifying a Klipsch product can’t legitimately call it an original Klipsch design or Klipsch Custom Design or Klipsch Modified Design since it wasn’t an actual Klipsch Design..!!!

Its really that simple IMHO.. 

miketn 🙂

Which is why there's always a "Super" addendum to some of the names or unique names created to a Klipsch Mod or a new design based on Klipsch, like the Quarter Pie or Super MWM and Super Heresy. It's not Klipsch of course, but inspired by Klipsch nonetheless. On the other side of the coin, how many shorthorn W bins have been made out there besides the LaScala, from different manufacturers (like Peavey's Former Electro Voice Engineers) that match or outperform it?

• Like 2

When I modify some AA’s, I call them “modified AA’s”, because that’s what they are. If I call them something else, people say “bs, those are just modified AA’s”. One way gives credit where credit is due, the other way just makes me look like a thief. It’s a no win for us either way. 

• Like 3

Back to the topic, I love my basically unmodified Heresy 1's. I will admit that I never heard them new. I'd enjoy A/B'ing them with some brand new Heresy speakers but probably will not get the chance. I thought about the various mods and super versions and decided not to go there. I added a sub. 

What I'd really like to compare is my unmodded Heresy pair to a new Heresy pair with and without the sub. I wonder where the best money could be spent, upgrade or just buy a sub? 

I've tried them with one and two subs, (identical), I was happy with one sub and moved the other sub to the TV room. The next time I see a sale on subs I might add another so I can keep two with the Heresy's. But I am really happy now. Everything else is just curiosity. I understand and respect those of you whose curiosity leads you to do mods. 

Edit: Call them what you want. It would be unscrupulous to sell them without revealing any mods

8 hours ago, Pondoro said:

Back to the topic, I love my basically unmodified Heresy 1's. I will admit that I never heard them new. I'd enjoy A/B'ing them with some brand new Heresy speakers but probably will not get the chance. I thought about the various mods and super versions and decided not to go there. I added a sub. 

What I'd really like to compare is my unmodded Heresy pair to a new Heresy pair with and without the sub. I wonder where the best money could be spent, upgrade or just buy a sub? 

I've tried them with one and two subs, (identical), I was happy with one sub and moved the other sub to the TV room. The next time I see a sale on subs I might add another so I can keep two with the Heresy's. But I am really happy now. Everything else is just curiosity. I understand and respect those of you whose curiosity leads you to do mods. 

Edit: Call them what you want. It would be unscrupulous to sell them without revealing any mods

I think it's a personal decision based on your own speakers' performance.  In my case, I bought these in 2001 when they were about 12 years old and they sounded great at the time.  I had a pair of KLF 20s back then, and the H2s sounded a bit more lively and incisive up top, while the KLFs were a bit more balanced and, of course, stronger in the low end.  I've since sold the KLFs, but lately I started to notice that the H2s were sounding dull in the treble.  Cymbals, for example, had lost sparkle.  Tambourines sounded flat.  I'm 55 so I had a far younger friend come over for a listen and he agreed.  This time we compared them to my DeVore Super Nines and there was no question the H2s were flat sounding.  I think capacitors can fail somewhat randomly.

In hindsight, I could have just recapped the crossover networks, and Crites does a great job at that.  That alone transformed them back to what I remember hearing when I first go them 20 years ago.  But I figured I'd also try Crites's titanium tweeter diaphragms and I liked them so they are still in, at least for now.

I agree with your comments about selling them.  If I ever do, I will not only disclose the work, but I'll advertise it.  I will also offer the original diaphragms in case the buyer wants to swap them back in. 

Edited by Bulkogi
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Bulkogi said:

Yep.  I told my wife what Roy said, and her joking response was, "Fine!  Let's remove the Klipsch labels and replace them with Thayer labels!"  (My last name.)

But, no.  They're still Klipsch to me.

IMG_2603.jpg

IMG_2606.jpg

Absolutely beautiful speakers! My HIIs are a black lacquer, but I still love them. They were a gift from one of my sons. I've had them over 15 years now, and they are all original, I think from around '85. They didn't have labels on the backs. I had just checked the insides and found a dated inspection sticker. I should update the caps some day...

• Like 2