Heresy Woofers

Bulkogi

Marvel, why not got for the whole H3 update kit?  You'd get new caps, new woofers, squawkers, tweeters, and crossovers.  Plus a new biwire-ready connector cup.  They're a heck of a deal, and you can hear the improvements instantly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Islander said:

Marvel, why not got for the whole H3 update kit?  You'd get new caps, new woofers, squawkers, tweeters, and crossovers.  Plus a new biwire-ready connector cup.  They're a heck of a deal, and you can hear the improvements instantly.

Noooo! I will probably replace tbe caps, but I'm ok with them. Back when the forum queen was in charge here, we discussed the upgrade, but I can't justify spending the money. If I had the money I would have bought Jubilees. I know there is always better... 😁

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Islander said:

last I heard , they pulled the K28 out of the 300$ kit -

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

Absolutely beautiful speakers! My HIIs are a black lacquer, but I still love them. They were a gift from one of my sons. I've had them over 15 years now, and they are all original, I think from around '85. They didn't have labels on the backs. I had just checked the insides and found a dated inspection sticker. I should update the caps some day...

Thanks Marvel!  Black lacquer is nice.  Mine were sold in raw birch but someone stained them before I bought them used.  I just sanded them down lightly and applied a few coats of Danish Oil.

The only reason I had mine recapped is because the upper frequencies had become noticeably duller and less articulate over the years, but yours might be fine.  I get the sense that capacitors fall out of spec somewhat randomly, so if yours are still sounding great, you probably don't need a recap.  I noticed the improvement as soon as I installed the reworked networks.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I capped and resealed (new gaskets) my H2s. A little tight to put the small caps on the cup. 

Those round input cups don't give you much room to work. Mine have the rectangular cups, which are a little better.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RandyH001 said:
9 hours ago, Islander said:

I was remembering that they pulled the k701 so that you had to use your old one for the upgrade. 

If they gave you everything but the cabinet, I would still be interested. Then I would build Tangent 400 boxes for the parts and have some nice rears for a 5.1 system.

5 hours ago, Marvel said:

I was remembering that they pulled the k701 so that you had to use your old one for the upgrade. 

If they gave you everything but the cabinet, I would still be interested. Then I would build Tangent 400 boxes for the parts and have some nice rears for a 5.1 system.

the k701 was not included in  the kit because the HII already had a K701 horn  and it was reused for the HIII  -

Here is the  picture  of the Klipsch Parts HIII Kit -sold through klipsch --Courtesy of @CECAA850   100_2566.JPG

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Marvel said:

Those round input cups don't give you much room to work. Mine have the rectangular cups, which are a little better.

Nope.  I mounted all the new caps on a separate board and ran wires to them last time I recapped an H2 with the round cup.

59 minutes ago, RandyH001 said:

the k701 was not included in  the kit because the HII already had a K701 horn  and it was reused for the HIII  -

Here is the  picture  of the Klipsch Parts HIII Kit -sold through klipsch --Courtesy of @CECAA850   100_2566.JPG

Yep, that’s what I got, and I was listening to it last night.  The higher sensitivity (from 97 dB/W/m to 99) makes the H3 easier to level match with the La Scalas, and the 5 Hz lower bass roll-off is immediately audible.  

Deeper bass and and higher sensitivity in the same size box?  It’s audio engineering magic, because it seems to violate the Iron Law.  It gets three out of three.  Amazing!

• Haha 1

There‘s no such thing as magic. They just added/increased the room gain number so they could jack up the sensitivity figure.

This is a reoccurring theme found during independent measurements with all of the new Klipsch products. For example:

“I used DRA Labs' MLSSA system and a calibrated DPA 4006 microphone to measure the Forte III's frequency response in the farfield and an Earthworks QTC-40 mike for the nearfield responses. The Klipsch's specified sensitivity is an extraordinary 99dB/2.83V/m; my estimate was lower, at 95.2dB(B)/2.83V/m …”

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RandyH001 said:

2 hours ago, RandyH001 said:

You are just confusing folks when you do this.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Marvel said:

You are just confusing folks when you do this.

I will update the information as to the current status of these parts ----as soon as I can get hold of klipsch Parts

1 hour ago, Deang said:

The OP isn't interested in doing this and neither is anyone else in this thread - so who cares?

btw Randy, every time you recommend JEM, I get a new customer. Keep up the good work!

JEM JEM JEM JEM

that should keep you busy thru July

5 hours ago, CECAA850 said:
11 hours ago, Marvel said:

Nope.  I mounted all the new caps on a separate board and ran wires to them last time I recapped an H2 with the round cup.

I started to do what you did and had the board cut, but heard a different drum. It really wasn't too difficult to mount the small ones on the cup.

Here is the picture you sent. Nice tidy work. 

carls.thumb.jpg.53098a34513f6ee374377bb736a49221.jpg

• Like 1