Ground Loop Issue

bluesboy

Over the past year and a half I've assembled 4 Transcendent Sound kits. I built the Mini Beast power amp, the Grounded Grid preamp, phono pre amp and most recently the new Slider pre amp with a phono section. The sound of these OTL amps is nothing short of amazing. My speakers are hybrid Khorns using Altec Altec 511Bs and 902 drivers for the mids and Beyma tweeters that I built about 15 years ago.

One problem though. With both the Grounded Grid/phono pre combo and the phono section of the Slider I'm hearing what seems to be a ground loop hum. I swapped power amps ( 2A3 amp) and the hum goes away. Same result when I tried an old Yamaha ss receiver. You can't hear the hum with music playing just slightly between tracks. The hum increases with volume. These amps are otherwise dead quiet through the other line inputs even with the volume turned all the way up. I've tried cheater plugs on all components and installed an isolation transformer that cost me 200 bucks in between the amp and preamps with no results.

Any ideas?

11 minutes ago, bluesboy said:

Thanks for the help. I already have a Jenson C1-2RR isolation transformer. I'm wondering what would happen if I installed the transformer between the output of the turntable and the input of the preamp.

Look at page 6 of the link.  The plugs show you where to actually put the transformer.  You can guess and guess or you can get a couple of their dummy plugs and figure out exactly where to put it.

18 hours ago, bluesboy said:

One problem though. With both the Grounded Grid/phono pre combo and the phono section of the Slider I'm hearing what seems to be a ground loop hum. I swapped power amps ( 2A3 amp) and the hum goes away. Same result when I tried an old Yamaha ss receiver. You can't hear the hum with music playing just slightly between tracks. The hum increases with volume. These amps are otherwise dead quiet through the other line inputs even with the volume turned all the way up. I've tried cheater plugs on all components and installed an isolation transformer that cost me 200 bucks in between the amp and preamps with no results.

Any ideas?

Get a tester, and test every electric outlet in the house to see if they are installed correctly.

Listen to determine if the hum is 60Hz or a different freq. Use test tones on your phone to compare.

Can you post a drawing of your components and their connections to each other and to the power ?

Are all of the components plugged into the same power strip ?

What else is connected to the same circuit breaker ?

Are there any other electrical devices of any kind inc lights on the same circuit and close to the equipment or on top of a speaker ?

Do you have a PC connected to the system ?

Does your phono have a ground wire installed ?

Disconnect the phono and other components leaving just the amp, is there hum ?

Add one component at a time and see when the hum starts with no music playing

Photos are always helpful

The problem is not with the wall outlets as the phono hum goes away another power amp is used.

I've tried a Jenson isolation transformer between preamp and the amp and between the TT and the preamp with no affect.

I took pictures and sketched the layout. I can't find a way to attach.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 1:13 PM, CECAA850 said:

The plugs you use to troubleshoot are 10 or 20 bucks for the set.  Worth every penny.  This is a step by step process to identify the source of your hum.

https://www.jensen-transformers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/ts_guide.pdf

Could be CIC ;);) not a ground loop at all   aye CECAA850

An IsoMax between the preamp and the offending power amp did not fix your hum?

Hmmmmmm... or should I say Hummmmmmmm

Are either or both 2 prong or 3 prong AC plugs?

So......everything is perfect(well at least acceptable to your ears) when one amp is in your system. And then ALL you do is change to another amp and the hum appears?

Common Impedance Coupling. It is when chassis ground currents and signal ground currents are using the same wire as it always does in unbalanced equipment. It is always present in unbalanced equipment, it is just a question of whether its magnitude is objectionable or not.

If you have "dummy plugs" coming you are well on your way to the solution.