Warmest Sounding New Production 12AX7?

SWL

I was surprised how good the JJ EL84s sounded in my 222c after I lowered the screen voltage to ~310v. Telefunken and RCA are still almost magic, but these are REAL nice.
Check www.eurotubes.com, I think Bob is a primary importer, and has worked with JJ to get KT77s and other tubes produced.
Yeah I have a pretty good stock of NOS RCA 7189 quads for my 222c to last me the rest of my life. Quite a few quads of the Russian EV's as well just in case.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Got the 5751's in my amp this morning. I'm really impressed. These are gonna be stiff competition for the gold pins.

I'll compare the two hopefully tomorrow. So far I'm hearing all the smoothness of the gold pins (maybe more) but with slightly less warmth.....possibly that they're playing cleaner.

• 1 month later...

Well these JJ 5751's are keepers. I'm using them in my Scott 222c and my knock-off Conrad Johnson tube pre.

I don't know how long they'll last but as far as sq they've got everything I was looking for......warm, smooth and clean. I even prefer them to my beloved big buck NOS Mullards. I was really surprised by that comparison.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2021 at 5:13 AM, SWL said:

Well these JJ 5751's are keepers. I'm using them in my Scott 222c and my knock-off Conrad Johnson tube pre.

I don't know how long they'll last but as far as sq they've got everything I was looking for......warm, smooth and clean. I even prefer them to my beloved big buck NOS Mullards. I was really surprised by that comparison.

Are these the ones you have? Did you go for the add on's? Balanced, matched & low noise?

https://tubedepot.com/products/jj-5751-preamp-tube?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=&scid=scplpJJ-5751&sc_intid=JJ-5751&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9enSmLSL8wIVch-tBh0VbQicEAQYASABEgKm1_D_BwE

Thinking about trying these in my Carver 275

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Are these the ones you have? Did you go for the add on's? Balanced, matched & low noise?

https://tubedepot.com/products/jj-5751-preamp-tube?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=&scid=scplpJJ-5751&sc_intid=JJ-5751&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9enSmLSL8wIVch-tBh0VbQicEAQYASABEgKm1_D_BwE

Thinking about trying these in my Carver 275

Yeah, those should be the ones. I bought mine from Viva Tubes and Ebay. I may have also bought some from Tube Depot but can't remember. If I did I usually opt for those extras. Been buying a lot of tubes lately.....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SWL said:

Yeah, those should be the ones. I bought mine from Viva Tubes and Ebay. I may have also bought some from Tube Depot but can't remember. If I did I usually opt for those extras. Been buying a lot of tubes lately.....

I guess what I don't understand, is that with all of those extras added in, you are very much coming close to pricing for genuine Telefunken 12AX7s, or RCA black plate 5751s or Sylvania 5751s, to which the JJ tubes can't even compare.  

On 7/1/2021 at 10:25 AM, seti said:

What is the problem with TubeDepot? They are one of three vendors I use regularly. They have always been great to me and ship quickly since I am in Little Rock and they are in Memphis. I've only had a problem once and they refunded immediately.

I too have ordered from Tube Depot in the past because what I was looking for had a fair market price and I've never had an issue with a sale. Long ago (circa 1999) I bought a pair of 300B's from Tube Depot and the filaments on both tubes failed (or stopped working). I called Tube Depot and assured them that the 300B's were in a proper circuit and they sent me another pair. They said they never heard of premature (only a few months use) failure such as this. 

Things may have changed since then, but my last purchase was a few years ago.

As a business they can sell items at what they deem as a market price.  

• Like 1

On 9/12/2021 at 8:13 AM, SWL said:

I bought 4 JJ 5751's and am happy with them. A pair (other 2 are back-up) are in a parallel SE 2A3 amp and they sound great. Originally, the circuit had Chinese 6N2's. The 6N2's were noisy and the circuit had too much gain. I rewired the circuit for the 5751 and it was transformed! The 2A3 amp is now one of my favorites after more tweaks and mods. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Good!  I get it.  Audio adjectives can be interpreted many different ways...

Accurate

Fast

Warm

Sweet

bright

muddy

...the meaning of each often different depending on the person.  What's 'warm' to one person might be too 'cool' or 'bright' for someone else.

• Like 2

At best, "warm" in my understanding means.....no, let's not say "warm" because "warm" can also mean it doesn't hurt your ear but it's like lukewarm coffee.

Actually, it can mean full body without ugly peaks but at the same time differentiated, dynamic, with timing (and therefore emotional tension), colorful and powerful. At least that's what I would expect.

At the same time, I accept a certain "fingerprint" that tubes generally have (but which can be kept in check by a good circuit). 
Don't transistors also have their fingerprint? No one should say that transistors are "objective" and tubes are "discoloring" as a general statement. Especially since there are so many different types of transistors and the many circuits. If I liked a transistor I would take it too, it's not a matter of dogged belief in one camp.

It always depends on the environment e.g. of the circuit. If everything is taken into account then you can actually say if you like one tube better than another. And fortunately we are all a bit different with various tastes.

I would also always give each tube a week before it has settled in and before I have adapted.

"Warm" is a hint of a direction but not a guarantee of unconditional liking.

• Like 2