Hello all, New member needing input on speaker type/placement. Thank you!

BradM

I'm looking to upgrade to a 5.2.2 or 7.2.2 system, from a 2 channel audio system, if possible. I have a Denon 4700 rec and a pair of Rf7-III speakers, but want to turn this into a home theater type set up, if possible. The room is challenging to me.....It is a 13 wide by 23 deep living room (full of furniture and hardwood flooring). The listening position, where the couch is, is about 17ft back from tv, due to there being a large fireplace that sticks out in the middle of the room. There is about 3'6" on each side of the couch, to the side walls (one of which has a window) and about 5+/- ft from back of couch to rear wall. Would a 7.2 or 5.2 system work best with this amount of room and where would be a good surround placement? Would you use a bookshelf or the Atmos type height speakers for surrounds, due to obstacles? Thank you much. Brad

IMG_20210620_202153090~2.jpg

IMG_20210620_202144025.jpg

IMG_20210620_202113529_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, billybob said:

Cannot see all you described like your tv, speakers, fireplace view.

Busy looking room but, a center, along with a couple of surround or/and rears may work well enough.

Thanks!

Thank you. That was my main concern or question. I wasn't sure if the area behind/beside the couch was big enough for side and rear surrounds, or if it would be better with just surrounds on the rear wall.........bipole or other..? Thanks!

Edited by BradM

2 hours ago, BradM said:

Thank you. That was my main concern or question. I wasn't sure if the area behind/beside the couch was big enough for side and rear surrounds, or if it would be better with just surrounds on the rear wall.........bipolars or other..? Thanks!

Would consider using either the RS model sure, but even small RB bookshelf speakers  on the wall or even stands may work better for you. Thinking rear of your listening position. Keeping it a simple 5 speaker system plus sub(s). Most of rear sounds simply reinforcement to the mains, center in front. Without a view of the front and height of ceiling, can only recommend an RC center channel speaker to comprise the simple 5.1 or 5.2

audio system. HT Is made easier by having those nice Reference mains.

With me?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, billybob said:

Would consider using either the RS model sure, but even small RB bookshelf speakers  on the wall or even stands may work better for you. Thinking rear of your listening position. Keeping it a simple 5 speaker system plus sub(s). Most of rear sounds simply reinforcement to the mains, center in front. Without a view of the front and height of ceiling, can only recommend an RC center channel speaker to comprise the simple 5.1 or 5.2

audio system. HT Is made easier by having those nice Reference mains.

With me?

Thank you for the help. If using a bookshelf type, would you aim them at the sitting area, or aim them directly back at the front speakers? Also......pic of front wall, but I will have to move furniture out to use the RFs......they and the tv are currently put up, as I just got finished painting and redoing the wood floor......but this is the wall they will be on. Also 8ft ceiling....

IMG_20210622_173737054.jpg

Edited by BradM

Agree with BB

5.1 would be easy and work fine

You would need to clear out the front of the room for a Center speaker platform

RF7s in the corners

TV mounted center slightly above eye level

Rear book shelf speakers at ear level or a little higher

Carpet on the floor in center of room for damping

Bookshelves behind work great for damping

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bubo said:

Agree with BB

5.1 would be easy and work fine

You would need to clear out the front of the room for a Center speaker platofrm

RF7s in the corners

TV mounted center slightly above eye level

Rear book shelf speakers at ear level or a little higher

Carpet on the floor in center of room for damping

Bookshelves behind work great for damping

Going to add to this by only saying experiment with placement some by small increments. Thinking that following the above advice will get you there. Minimalist at first may be enough in the end to get you there with time. In which case, Bubo, I or other will be here 

as in now for instance.

Actually, the wall in the back could be 6ft book shelves side to side

covering the window with closed shades.

This would add to the storage in the room

increase damping, platform for the R speakers

and allow you to clear out the rest of the room

All of the furniture between your viewing chairs and the front of the TV should go

the hard surfaces cause reflections

The recliner could be moved opposite to the fireplace, since it will absorb sound.

Two speakers on the shelves for the rear

• Like 1