Need Help! AW-650 Speaker setup

Hello, this is my first post on here so sorry if this is in the wrong area.

I am planning on buying (3) sets of the AW-650 speakers (so 6 total speakers) to go around my pool and fire pit areas. I have a 20x40 pool and the fire pit area which is about 20 ft from the pool. I am planning on putting one on each of the four corners of the pool and one on each side in the middle.

I am trying to find what the best amp/receiver would be to power all of these? It would be great if there was one where I could choose if I wanted to output to all six at once or just pick two or three to output to at certain times.

also, is it okay if these are mounted outside and not under an overhang? I live in Virginia and the summers get in 110 degree days and the winters get down to the low teens with occasional snow. I would want to leave them mounted outside year round.

Thanks so much for any advice.

Edited by BuckeyeFan85

Welcome! @BuckeyeFan85

I am all for more speakers but do you really need 3 pair for the back yard? Below is my house from Google. Roughly where the two red arrows are, is where my AW-650s are...but under the deck, not up top. My pool is slightly larger than yours. My fire pit circled in red is at least 100' away. IIRC, the back of that fence is around 200 feet or more from the house. My neighbors are far away so I can crank it. I can't go much beyond 3/4 volume without it being ear-splitting at the pool and too loud for conversation at the fire pit.

I'm running them off of a refurbished Carver TFM-25. Nothing outrageous as far as power goes. My original plan was to use the 650s till I built a weather proof enclosure for my split LSIs. There is no need for La Scalas poolside....sure it would be a cool look for us types on the forum, but practical is better once in a while.

I played around a lot with the placement of the speakers trying to get good stereo imaging in the pool. That is why they are not the entire width of the deck. Personally I don't think I'd want 4 speakers around the pool, but give it a go and see what you think. Farther away is better for filling the space versus up near your pool's perimeter, IMO.

If you go with multiple zones and have the inclination my first choice would be Roon with three Raspberry Pi endpoints, the HAT-based DACs of your choice and 3 separate 2-channel amps. The sky is the limit once you have to only pick a 2-channel amp...but seriously, it is outside anything reasonable will do. You can make each Pi play different tunes or the same via Roon.

If Roon, Pis and the like is not your thing, or if simplicity is desired, I'd look at Sonos; with 3 X Amps (Port if you want to bring your own power like the Roon solution). I've used both RPi and Sonos at my pool. On paper you can get many DACs that will be "better" than Sonos but in reality they are still far better than you need for outdoor music. The Sonos app is super easy for anyone to understand. So you get a dedicated tablet with a tough case and let all visitors play DJ. Sonos like Roon can make each zone play the same or different selections.

Not that is probably matters but up top on the deck I have the smaller AW-525s in that center bump out facing back at the house. They are fine for the deck but I so wish I had just bought another pair of 650s. They are an amazing speaker for what they are designed to do.

My 650s have been outside in Maryland near D.C. so about the same weather as you. The 650s have been sheltered by the deck a bit but plenty of slop runs right down the house on top of them. Not to mention piles of bird S#!T in the spring. The 525s are naked on the front side of the deck. 12-15 years and zero problems with either. They even get power washed, though not directly on the face/grills of them into the drivers.

I'd keep typing and give you more advice but based on your ID, I'd guess you are an OSU fan. Go Blue! Best of luck let me know if you have any more questions.

If it is not clear from the aerial perspective that deck is on the first floor about 8 feet above the pool space. There is a walk out basement so the 650s are up against the house, under the deck, about 8 feet above the pools surface. The under side of the deck is finished almost like a smooth ceiling when under it at the pool. That probably helps direct and disperse the music out from the house into the back yard. If they were free standing they might sound a bit more lost in space.

484152651_Klipsch650.JPG.76c785d895a051d0eb2cbd94081b48d5.JPG