Integra receivers?

wuzzzer

I'm picking up an Integra DTR-5.8 tomorrow.  Going to see how it compares to my Sony STR-DA5000ES.  I love the Sony for its sound but it is pre-hdmi so all the audio I feed into it is either optical or coaxial digital.  The Integra has hdmi and processes lossless audio through it. 

I had an Onkyo TX-SR805 years ago but never anything from Integra.  Anyone have any experience with Integra?  Because it's older I won't be able to route any video through it, I'll only be using it to process audio. 

I have owned my Onkyo TX-SR705(same as Integra DTR-6.8) since 2007 and it has been rock solid trouble free all these years.  The DTR-5.8 is same as Onkyo TX-SR605.  Not a whole lot of differences between the Integra and Onkyo versions except for Integra being more custom installer friendly.  Though I have never owned an Integra AVR, I have owned their flagship universal player(non BD) and network stereo receiver and they have been wonderful pieces of gear.

Bill

• Thanks 1

Well, this sucks.  Bought the receiver for $50.  Remote doesn't work, tried two sets of batteries that I know are good.  Neither of the hdmi inputs are putting out any audio.  I know Onkyo/Integra are known for their hdmi boards failing but the seller assured me everything worked on it. 

Other inputs like optical digital and the tuner work.  But, I bought it specifically so I could decode lossless audio over hdmi from Blu-rays and 4k discs.

😒

6 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

Any chance of a refund given it isn’t working? Seller must have known HDMI wasn’t working.

They already refunded my money.  I told them I'd play around with it more and let them know if I get it working. 

• Like 1

So I figured out that the on/off and volume up/down buttons on the remote don't work but all the other ones do.  I reset the remote and that didn't help.  I took it apart and cleaned the contacts and the underside of the buttons and it still didn't help.  So, I found a replacement online for $25.

On the plus side, I finally got hdmi audio working.  As soon as I get the remote and verify that everything works as it should I'm going to give the lady $25 back since she refunded me the entire $50 that I paid. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I got the new remote and everything works great.  I ended up giving the lady back the entire $50 that she had refunded me.  She was pretty floored that I did that.

The receiver sounds great with my setup!  Very happy that I got it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One odd thing is that the volume scale goes from 0 to 100 instead of the negative scale I'm used to (-20dB for example).  I haven't found anything in the menus of it to change the volume format.  I know with some receivers you can change that feature back and forth if you want to. 

19 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

One odd thing is that the volume scale goes from 0 to 100 instead of the negative scale I'm used to (-20dB for example).  I haven't found anything in the menus of it to change the volume format.  I know with some receivers you can change that feature back and forth if you want to. 

I don't remember if the 5.8 has it, but the 40.4 does, there's a setting called "Use Relative Volume" - and if you set that to on, it should revert to using dB rather than scaled volume measurements.  It should be in a generic menu screen or general screen, I don't think it's in audio settings.

7 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

I don't remember if the 5.8 has it, but the 40.4 does, there's a setting called "Use Relative Volume" - and if you set that to on, it should revert to using dB rather than scaled volume measurements.  It should be in a generic menu screen or general screen, I don't think it's in audio settings.

I just looked in the manual and it only states a volume scale of 1-100.

4 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

My Onkyo gives the option so I bet a little more hunting the menu is in order.

Bill

I have owned a DTR-50.2 for a few years. It is used everyday the only problem i had is my AVR is 50 feet away from the TV so had signal problems. But then I got better cables from partsexspress or monoprice i forget. Been working fine ever since. It was much easier to set up than any other one I have set up. I think they are going to stop making them though not sure. I think VOXX bought them not sure on that. 

I have worked the hell out of mine and still going strong. I even bought it refurbished from Accessories 4 less for like half price...lol

• Like 1