Measurement of some speakers.

delhite2

1. Well, it looks like they may have used an Audyssey microphone.  Audyssey mics have no need to be flat (see ahead) and are probably not.  The scuttlebutt is that the Audyssey equipped AVRs and AVPs have a frequency response correction curve matching the average response of one of their little microphones.  So Audyssey's EQ will be correct except when the consumer gets an outlier microphone, providing the mic correction curve is accurate..  They say (once again, unofficially) +/- 2 dB.  Here are measurements of 4 Audyssey mics, matched at 1KHz, supplied by Lukeamdman  on the AVS    forum.  The post is labeled something like "Measurement of 3 Audyssey mics, but at the end, he measured 4.  Here are those 4:EgRm2OE.jpgNot bad, considering the cheapness of the mic.  So if the compensation curve for the average Audyssey mic curve is good enough, the compensation probably is adequate.
  2. The measurements you provided the link for are in room measurements.  There is no telling whether the room was live or dead.  People like Atkinson of Stereophile say that in a typical listening room a good speaker will show drooping at the extreme high end, and those that don't are probably too bright (but I've just about given up on him since he thought it was O.K. to take a speaker that benefits from being near or in a corner outside and measuring it up on a dolly in a driveway).  If Atkinson is right, the QSC may be too bright, and the Klipsch and the Jamo more or less O.K.

N.B.  The X curve is widely considered to be inappropriate for home listening, cinemas, or any use whatsoever.  It is thought it was standardized much too soon, and the original measurements were iffy.  There is a modified X curve for the home, but I don't know anybody who likes it.  The Audyssey Reference curve starts the roll-off higher, but I still prefer Audyssey FLAT in my slightly dead room.

• Like 1