Can someone help me find amplifier for RP-600M?

Hello!

This is my first post! I have always loved Klipsch. I got the SB Icon 1 soundbar in college and it has been going strong for 8 years now. Simple product but really got me hooked on sound.

Before that I had always just used sound from TV speakers. Sad times.

Fast forward to now and I have just ordered a pair of RP-600Ms as well as a subwoofer. I am deciding between a Rhythmik 12, SVS PB-1000 Pro, or a HSU 15H-MK2.

I would really like amplifier to have optical cord digital input for my Xbox if possible, as well as a dedicated subwoofer out port.

Can someone please help me choose an amplifier? My budget is absolute max 600 if absolutely necessary to go that high, but I would really like to stay in the 250-500 range. 

So far I have considered :

-Yamaha A-S301 : This amp is only $350 which would allow me extra budget for the subwoofer. Digital input as well. However it is only rated for 60 watts per channel. With the 600Ms being rated for 100W/channel, will this amp struggle? I don't blow my ears out but I really like listening to loud music with bass and loud movies. 

-Yamaha A-S501 : Same line as 301 but this one rated for 85/watts per channel. I kind of would rather have more than enough power. The goal is to maximize the potential of the 600s. I don't want to be missing out on any speaker potential if the amp is not strong enough. I know they are sensitive speakers, I just don't know enough about all the power requirements to make a good decision.

-Cambridge AXR-85 : This one is $400, and is rated for 85/watts per channel. It doesn't have the digital input so I would have the added cost of getting a optical to analog converter. Someone did say it has way lower damping factor, and actually told me the Yamaha A-S301 is a much better and more powerful amp even though its rated at 60/watts/channel vs the cambridge 85/channel.

These are the main 3 I have looked at but I am completely open to suggestions. My main thing is I want to completely maximize the potential of the RP-600ms. The optical digital input and subwoofer out would also be a huge plus. Would really like to stay below 500 but I can go above if someone who knows this stuff can tell me its truly going to make a difference with these speakers.

Thank you for any help! I really appreciate you taking the time to read and help. 

11 hours ago, willland said:

I think this would be a fine choice.  Seems to check all boxes.

Welcome to the forum.

Bill

Hey Bill,

Would I be able to save the 200 and get the A-S301? It is rated for 65/watts per channel but the folks over at crutchfield are saying I wouldn't notice any difference with the 501 since the 301 is more than enough power. Is that accurate? I would get the 501 if I will notice a good difference with the extra power. 

2 hours ago, psykoticboss said:

Hey Bill,

Would I be able to save the 200 and get the A-S301? It is rated for 65/watts per channel but the folks over at crutchfield are saying I wouldn't notice any difference with the 501 since the 301 is more than enough power. Is that accurate? I would get the 501 if I will notice a good difference with the extra power. 

I sure you will be fine with the 301 unless you blast in a large room.

Bill

4 hours ago, willland said:

I sure you will be fine with the 301 unless you blast in a large room.

Bill

Thanks for the help Bill. I have another concern that has come up in my research. As far as I understand there is no bass management or crossover handling with these 2 receivers. Since I am buying a sub, should I get a receiver that allows me to set crossover where the speakers arent wasting energy playing the low frequencies that the sub is taking care of? I can set the crossover on the sub, but as far as I know no way to set the crossover to where the Klipsch isn't playing the lower stuff. Or will it not really matter as long as I have plenty of power with amp?

1 hour ago, psykoticboss said:

Or will it not really matter as long as I have plenty of power with amp?

There many threads on this forum debunking the "power myth". It is not the highest watt amp that is the best performer. It's all about the quality of the inside, the layout etc. In fact, only the first one or two watt (!) matter. Some extremely good (and expensive) amplifiers only come with 6 or 8 or 12 watt. This certainly applies for highly efficient speakers, such as (almost) all Klipsch speakers, and certainly the rp600m.

If you want to fill a dance hall, a church, or a garden party, that's when you need a power amp, not when you play music in the average listening room. If you plan to buy less efficient speakers in the future, then a high powered amplifier may be a good investment, though.

4 minutes ago, MeloManiac said:

There many threads on this forum debunking the "power myth". It is not the highest watt amp that is the best performer. It's all about the quality of the inside, the layout etc. In fact, only the first one or two watt (!) matter. Some extremely good (and expensive) amplifiers only come with 6 or 8 or 12 watt. This certainly applies for highly efficient speakers, such as (almost) all Klipsch speakers, and certainly the rp600m.

If you want to fill a dance hall, a church, or a garden party, that's when you need a power amp, not when you play music in the average listening room. If you plan to buy less efficient speakers in the future, then a high powered amplifier may be a good investment, though.

Thank you man. I think I decided on the 501 just for that reason if I end up getting bigger ones down the line like towers I would be set. 

Are you able to speak on my other comment question about the speaker crossover? It looks like I have no way to set the crossover for that amp. So will the 600s just be playing full range even though the sub could handle all the lower stuff? Ideally I think you want to allow your sub to solely play the lows so the 600s can 'focus' on the mids/highs...but will it matter do you think? The receiver has a dedicated sub out, but I dont know if having a sub plugged in lets the receiver know to only send mid/high signals to the 600s. Thoughts?

Note: I did see that the sub out on the 501 as a low pass filter of 100hz, but I would assume that just controls what signals get sent to the sub, not what the amp is sending to 600s.

2 hours ago, psykoticboss said:

Thank you man. I think I decided on the 501 just for that reason if I end up getting bigger ones down the line like towers I would be set. 

Are you able to speak on my other comment question about the speaker crossover? It looks like I have no way to set the crossover for that amp. So will the 600s just be playing full range even though the sub could handle all the lower stuff? Ideally I think you want to allow your sub to solely play the lows so the 600s can 'focus' on the mids/highs...but will it matter do you think? The receiver has a dedicated sub out, but I dont know if having a sub plugged in lets the receiver know to only send mid/high signals to the 600s. Thoughts?

Note: I did see that the sub out on the 501 as a low pass filter of 100hz, but I would assume that just controls what signals get sent to the sub, not what the amp is sending to 600s.

The correct way to do this is to have an external crossover in between the source and the amp, taking the load of the lows off the amp, sending them directly to the sub. This is often/sometimes done with tube amps. I am not convinced it is worthwhile for a good solid state amp with a sub out. 

The example below is an expensive one, but the advantage is that it has rca plugs. There are (much) cheaper ones out there, but these are  professional PA gear, with balanced XLR ins and outs.

PureAudioProject PAP-C1

PAP-C1, Custom Active Analog Crossover for Open Baffle - PureAudioProject
http://www.pureaudioproject.com/pap-c1-custom-active-analog-crossover-open-baffle/

5 hours ago, psykoticboss said:

Thanks for the help Bill.

You are very welcome.

5 hours ago, psykoticboss said:

I have another concern that has come up in my research. As far as I understand there is no bass management or crossover handling with these 2 receivers. Since I am buying a sub, should I get a receiver that allows me to set crossover where the speakers arent wasting energy playing the low frequencies that the sub is taking care of? I can set the crossover on the sub, but as far as I know no way to set the crossover to where the Klipsch isn't playing the lower stuff. Or will it not really matter as long as I have plenty of power with amp?

The RP-600s will only play so deep so just set the LPF on the subwoofer to about 1/2 octave above the RP-600s -3dB lower frequency and you should be good to go.

When my Klipsch RSW-10d subwoofer was operating, I set it's LPF to 60Hz to supplement my RB-75s and the integration was seamless, just about perfect.

Bill

22 hours ago, willland said:

You are very welcome.

The RP-600s will only play so deep so just set the LPF on the subwoofer to about 1/2 octave above the RP-600s -3dB lower frequency and you should be good to go.

When my Klipsch RSW-10d subwoofer was operating, I set it's LPF to 60Hz to supplement my RB-75s and the integration was seamless, just about perfect.

Bill

Thank you again. The RP-600s came in yesterday and the S-501 came in today. Crazy fast UPS shipping with Crutchfield they are on top of their game getting orders out.

Gotta wait about 2 weeks till next check then can order the sub. Planning on the HSU VTF-15H MK2. One should be enough for now as the room is only 10x15x10.

I will play with the sub crossover and dial it in just right. I think the 600s stop at 45 but that is wild to me I cant imagine only having the sub playing 45 and below. Ill do whatever sounds best but maybe the sub can play up to 60 or so like you said and they can share the 45-60 range. 

Also as a note: you have a really nice collection of sound equipment. Alot of money but at least you have good setups across the house. Nice job :)

Edited by psykoticboss

1 hour ago, psykoticboss said:

I will play with the sub crossover and dial it in just right. I think the 600s stop at 45 but that is wild to me I cant imagine only having the sub playing 45 and below. Ill do whatever sounds best but maybe the sub can play up to 60 or so like you said and they can share the 45-60 range. 

Stereophile test graph RP-600M

319K600fig4

HSU VTF-15H MK2 test graph(sealed)

VTF-15HMK2SealedEQ1FR.jpg

I am sure you can get them to blend pretty well.

Bill

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

i am actually deciding on thee 2 options:

1. Klipsch RP-600M with Denon PMA-600NE Stereo Integrated Amplifier together with Denon DCD-600NE Compact CD Player

or 

2. Klipsch RP-600M with Marantz PM7000N Integrated Stereo Hi-Fi Amplifier

your comments, suggestion and replies will be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

• 1 month later...