Emotiva RMC-1/RMC-1L/XMC-2 reviews?

carbon summit

Thinking its time to upgrade my old pre/pro and enter the modern age of eARC and Atmos. I'm considering going to a 5.1.2 set up since I don't think my area is big enough to need 5.1.4. From what I've read the big difference is having the first pair on the ceiling, adding the second pair isn't that big of a difference. I don't have room for a 7.1.2, the way my room lays out doesn't allow for rear speakers.

Against my better judgement I'm considering Emotiva's  Gen 3 prepros (RMC-1/RMC-1L/XMC-2). I say that because my last Emo pre/pro was the UMC-1. I took two bites at that apple (second hoping software had fixed the issues I had the first time) and both times I went back to my old trusty Onkyo PR-SC886.

Fast forward a lot of years, a different house and have the itch to get back into HT. From what I've read on the Emo forum things are not perfect with the Gen 3 units but then again you only hear from the guys with problems. There could be many happy users that have no reason to be on the forum searching for help. When I had the UMC-1 the SQ when listening to music was better IMHO than the 886 but I couldn't deal with all the bugs on the HT side of the UMC-1. 

I've got a Emo amp and CD player and would like everything to match. Probably the dumbest reason to buy a brand I know, but the other side of it is the better SQ which I think we all can understand. 

Soooo long story over... I would like to hear from Klipsch Forum members about their thoughts on the Gen 3 pre/pros to get a different perspective than I can get on the Emo forum. I'm sure if you own Emo you are probably a member over there too, just easier to talk about Emo when you don't have to worry about getting clubbed like a baby seal by the fan boys over there.

• Moderators

I reviewed the RMC-1 last September and at the time, honestly, it was SUPER BUGGY. Hopefully they have most of the bugs worked out by now but am unsure about that.

When it did work, it sounded great.

• Like 2

Thanks for the response Michael, I had already watched your review and it has a lot of good info. That was Sept 2019, so almost two years ago so too am hoping things are better. 

I'm torn between buying a "big name" pre/pro that for the most part will just work when I turn it on vs trying an Emo pre/pro that I think from prior experience will sound better than the mass market pre/pros. I know the big boys have their own issues from time to time but its par for the course at Emo. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2021 at 10:13 AM, carbon summit said:

I've got a Emo amp and CD player and would like everything to match

I thought this originally too...but I resisted the urge.  I had a pioneer elite that I was using for my home theater setup with a crown k2 doing the subwoofer duty, and that worked great.  Then, about 10 years ago I decided to bite the bullet and buy separates.  I went with the Emotive XPA-5 for the amplification still with the pioneer doing the processing.  Then, a couple-o-years later I added the UMC-200 for the processor.  That was fine as I liked the simplicity of the UMC-200.  Well, since then I picked up a used XPA-5 (So I have 10 channels of amplification as I am running a 7.2 system using 9 of the 10 channels)  After a while, the UMC 200 started getting buggy and yes, it had the latest software installed.  To add fuel to the fire, two of the 5 channels on the XPA-5 I purchased used started having noise issues upon shutdown.  Ugh!  I started looking at the Emotiva MC-700 because I wanted my system to sound great and match...but I'm glad I decided to go with a better unit by a different manufacturer.... and for good reason....Emotive mysteriously stopped producing the MC-700... I'm guessing because they were sick of warranty claims for a product that just doesn't work correctly!  I think it will be worth it to have my second Emotiva amp repaired because my original one is still running strong.  Emotiva should have just stuck with building amplifiers!

Anyway,  I hope this helps.

Now, I am getting the bug for a new processor as the one I currently have ( Integra DTC-9.8) doesn't pass a 4K signal.  Not the end of the world as I currently go directly from my Oppo player to my TV, but it would be nice to have that option.

... let the search continue

14 hours ago, Iteachstem said:

Now, I am getting the bug for a new processor as the one I currently have ( Integra DTC-9.8) doesn't pass a 4K signal.  Not the end of the world as I currently go directly from my Oppo player to my TV, but it would be nice to have that option.

... let the search continue

I have a 4K TV but I've never watched 4k content since my blu-ray player is also older. I may have watched some 4k content when streaming but I don't know. I'm curious how much better the picture will be if/when I upgrade my blu-ray to something modern. 

So 4k wasn't a big push for me, oddly enough originally it was the lack of eARC. My TV has a lot of streaming options but I only could use toslink to get the sound to my old 886 since it doesn't have ARC. I know you can get some of the codecs via toslink but eARC is really the best way to get them from the TV now that streaming sites are adding more surround sound content. I don't know the last time I rented a blu-ray. Streaming is so much more convenient. Then I decided I wanted to go to a 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 set up as my final excuse that I now "needed" a new processor.

Its all BS of course. We only need food, shelter, etc. I just wanted to get some new toys! I realize that an Emotive pre/pro might not be the best out of the box experience I can buy but I still remember the difference in SQ from my Onkyo PR-SC886 and the UMC-1. The issues of the UMC-1 drove me back to the 886 but the SQ was soooooo much better with UMC-1. So I'm going to take another bite off the Emotiva apple and hope for better results. My set up is pretty basic compared to some so I'm hoping issues will be none or few. 

My RMC-1 will be delivered on July 8th, I can't wait!!!

7 hours ago, carbon summit said:

My RMC-1 will be delivered on July 8th, I can't wait!!!

Good luck!  You'll have to report back after you get it all figured out and let us know your impression.

As far as 4k goes, it's not really a big deal for me either. Our eyes can't tell the difference between 1080 and 4K on a 70" screen when you're more than several feet away from the screen anyway! But hey, marketing is starting to push 8k!!!  I just want my next processor semi future proof, or at least future proof to me.  I want 7 speakers and 2-4 smaller subs (for a swarm sub system )  and the ability to use HDMI cables instead of a mix of HDMI, toslink, etc.  I have no desire to keep up with the latest insanity of trends such as dolby atmos.... sure, it might be better, (definitely better for speaker/amp/processor sales!) and maybe when I build my retirement home I will build it into the room, but unless you want your room to look like a college dorm room, I'll keep my smaller system.

Plus, most video content is not or rarely even 1080 from the most popular sources... Cable, Netflix, Prime, etc.  And as far as audio goes, it's a mixed bag as well.  The tech end (internet speeds, video/audio quality, etc.) need to keep up with the marketing end.

19 hours ago, Iteachstem said:

Good luck!  You'll have to report back after you get it all figured out and let us know your impression.

As far as 4k goes, it's not really a big deal for me either. Our eyes can't tell the difference between 1080 and 4K on a 70" screen when you're more than several feet away from the screen anyway! But hey, marketing is starting to push 8k!!!  I just want my next processor semi future proof, or at least future proof to me.  I want 7 speakers and 2-4 smaller subs (for a swarm sub system )  and the ability to use HDMI cables instead of a mix of HDMI, toslink, etc.  I have no desire to keep up with the latest insanity of trends such as dolby atmos.... sure, it might be better, (definitely better for speaker/amp/processor sales!) and maybe when I build my retirement home I will build it into the room, but unless you want your room to look like a college dorm room, I'll keep my smaller system.

Plus, most video content is not or rarely even 1080 from the most popular sources... Cable, Netflix, Prime, etc.  And as far as audio goes, it's a mixed bag as well.  The tech end (internet speeds, video/audio quality, etc.) need to keep up with the marketing end.

I agree with the 1080p vs 4k. The way the room lends itself my seating positions are about 10ft from the 70" TV so I'm sure there isn't any real difference for my old eyes. 

"I just want my next processor semi future proof"  In our hobby does that really ever happen? LOL. I agree with future proof for me. I ended up with the RMC-1 over the RMC-1L because after talking to Jake at Emotiva while placing my order I realized that the expansion modules could be a lot of different things, not just more speakers for even a larger Atmos or whatever tomorrow's surround sound might be. The modules might be things that have not even been thought of yet so I figured the RMC-1 with its 3 expansion bays would give me piece of mind that its about as future proof as a pre/pro can be. 

What I plan to do with Dolby Atmos should be pretty discreet compared to some of the systems I've seen online. I just plan on doing a 5.1.2 set up first trying the speakers on top of my front right and left speakers. I went with a pair of Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-500SA to handle that job. I agree with you when I see set up diagrams of 9.1.4 systems that is a lot of speakers to figure out where to place. If I had a true home theater room that was built for a 9.1.4 and the speakers were in the walls and ceiling than that would be a different story. But I just have a basement that has to serve other purposes so I need balance I guess.

This quote is to blame for me thinking Atmos would be worth trying:

"If given a choice, I would take 5.1.2 over 7.1 as I feel it's a more immersive experience with the height effects channels."
Ed Mullen - SVS

I don't have room behind my theater couch to have rear surrounds so 7.1 isn't an option anyway. I've been reading a lot about Atmos and it sounds like for me going to 5.1.2 will be my biggest game changer in my system. 5.1.4 is an improvement but not the big jump the first two give you. 

But again I know its all because I had the itch to get back into HT and now I want new toys!

5.1.2 speaker fronts.PNG

• 1 month later...

Well somehow my 5.1.2 grew into a 7.1.2. 

I moved my surrounds more to the side and put the rears about were I had the surrounds before since the room really doesn't lend itself to having the speakers as far back behind the seating position as Dolby would probably prefer. It actually sound great. Big improvement over the 5.1.2. It might even be better if the rear speakers were further back but I guess as long as the levels are set correctly I guess maybe the processor is helping correct it some. Anyway I noticed an improvement so I'm happy. I guess it never hurts to try and see what happens, usually just bad for my wallet...

As far as the RMC-1 so far so good. One time I had to shut it off with the power and let it reboot because I wasn't getting sound from any sources. In the RMC-1's defense, I was setting up different activities for my Harmony remote and I was doing A LOT of switching between sources so I have to give it a pass on that one. Overall I have no complaints and would give a positive recommendation for anyone looking to Emotiva for a pre/pro. I think they've worked out a lot of the bugs that were troublesome early on, and they still are releasing firmware updates so its nice they are still working on it more and more. I've read online Emotiva is still working on their bass management but since I only have a single sub it isn't much of an issue to me. A much better experience than I had with the UMC-1!

Now I'm thinking I may as well see what 7.1.4 sounds like... poor wallet... 😭