Magnavox 9304 console

levrac13

This weekend I purchased a Magnavox console radio/ turntable that has a 9304 tube amp.  It was purchased 75% for looks and 25% because I remembered reading that the Magnavox tube amps were desirable.   I would like to use the tuner/preamp and amp but remove the current record changer and use a different turntable and speakers.  Could this be a possiblity?  This console has the on/off switch in the treble knob as well as a bass control knob, volume knob, selector switch and tuning knob for the radio.  There is a sort of "umbilical" cord connecting the tuner/preamp to the amp.   Physically there is enough room to move the tuner/preamp to provide enough room to set a new turntable inside the cabinet.  I know the amp will need to be gone through and updated with new caps, etc. Would the preamp/tuner need the same type work?  I am hoping that new rca jack's could be installed as the current ones are too close together to use current production cables as well as the addition of new binding posts for speaker connections.  I read somewhere stating that the signal from the original ceramic cartridge was so different from a current cartridge that the amp would be incompatible with a current turntable and cartridge.  I hope this rambling makes some sense.  Thanks for any advice.

Thanks. I had a feeling it was possible and hopeful that it won't take too much work.  I have a Fisher x202b currently being restored but that tech is not really interested in working on this console pull. In looking at the 2 amps this one looks like it would be much easier to work on.  Any recommendations from the group for a good tech in the Dallas, Houston, Little Rock areas to perform said work?

• 1 month later...

I've done two separate consoles:

Console 1: A Solid State beauty from GE.  I initially attempted to replace only the electronics and keep the existing speakers going but tossed that idea pretty quickly.  The speakers themselves were shot so I picked up some replacements that seemed to work in a massively open back system but they just didn't sound great.  It was at this point I tossed out that idea.  So that console is now serving as the "hide everything" console - open the lid and I have a U-turn Orbit, a 15" touch screen monitor to control the computer with FLAC files, etc.  Power supplies, computer, cables are all hidden in the cavern.

Console 2: Was working on an existing console that had an "all American seven" based tube amp that had the "death cap" modification added.  Guess what?  When wiring in a new audio device keep in mind the reason for the death cap...yeah.  Gave up shortly after that.  Got the amp working but moved on before I resolved the audio path.

Overall advice: keep in mind that all these consoles were designed for appearance first and audio quality a distant second, or even fourth.