Cheap chip amp and a sub with old Heresy speakers.

wetowne

I've been messing around with my budget sandbox system which is whatever I happen to throw at my '77 Heresies.
I had been running a Cambridge Audio AXA25 integrated and was pretty happy with that but I figured it was time for some more experimentation.

I saw a review over on the ASR forum for the Aiyima A07 class D amp and it intrigued me. I had always considered class D stuff to be inferior
but the newer chip amps by TI measure pretty good, I just wondered how they would sound.

Well Amazon days roll around and they have the A07 with a 32V PS for 64.00, how could my cheap heart resist and if it sucks I'll just return it.

Well it's a keeper, two words describe it clean and detailed. But its transparency seemed to reveal the Heresies lack of deep bass.

I then find out that the AUX input jack on the A07 can function as a sub-out jack as well, so this being my sandbox I'll bring in another toy just for grins and giggles.
I then "borrow" my little Martin Logan Dynamo 300 from my bedroom TV setup and hook that up. Holy Moly! after getting the sub "delicately dialed in" (I'm not a "bass-head") I settled in for a good listen.

Wow what an improvement over the Cambridge amp, possibly the best 63.99 I've ever spent. Class D amp and a sub with my Heresies was something I had never even considered before.
I never thought such a cheap little amp could sound this good. Now I got an Cambridge amp that will sit in the closet and I have to buy a new subwoofer for the bedroom.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, billybob said:

Too cool.. Is there a pop when you turn it on and off? If not, we can say...alright! How many wpc you reckon?

@wetowne

No pops. Actual wpc? Who knows? Between the PS variables and the BS numbers it could be anything. But it sounds strong when you crank it.

• Like 1