KP-250 II pair in Gaithersburg, MD - $499.00 - SOLD

pcbiz

I will agree with @RandyH001. These are overachievers I have a pair of regular 250's (in battle dress) and I would not sell them for under 350.00. The natural wood finish and condition these are in make these rare. These will smoke a regular pair of Heresy's, at least they do to my ear's. YMMV and your listening style may be different than mine but in my experience these are great outdoor PA speakers that will get loud and stay clear through the frequency response range.

Pair these with either a pair of KP-480's, KPT-884, KP-682 or KPT-684 sub and they will easily handle a small to medium size venue.

• Like 2

Looked at these yesterday.  They are in a shop and the price wasn’t really negotiable without the owner in the store.  Light tan paint over Baltic Birch plywood.  Had machine screw mounts on the bottom.  There were a few chips in the plywood at the back.  The metal grille used standard spacers, but had wood screws instead of machine screws. There were also bug screens in the front facing ports and in the squawker.

Each of the drivers seemed to be working fine.  The speakers produced plenty of sound.  As industrials, they can get loud.  But they also played nicely at low volume.  I think this is a key benefit of Klipsch industrials…their sensitivity (efficiency).

Are they a good value at the asking price?  That’s in the eye of the beholder.  In the DC area, older Heresies (H700 to H2s) advertise for $800 - 1000 right now.  Klipsch industrials come up for sale infrequently, so that means opportunity cost is a factor, too.  Prices on Klipsch industrials are inconsistent in the DC market, but listings are rarely cheap if they are identified as Klipsch w/ model numbers.  A buyer would need to determine a personal balance between time spent bargain hunting and the higher monetary cost of an identified find.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Outrider 6 said:

Looked at these yesterday.  

Thanks for sharing. It's too bad that someone painted them. Were the mounts that are screwed to the bottoms for some sort of stand? 
As far as worth, I posted a similar statement as you in that it's up to the buyer who is looking. I know someone who paid $200 for a pair of the industrial finished 250 IIs not a year ago. There are bargains still to be had, but they take some time to find. 

• Like 1

Mounts were threaded metal inserts.  Since the insert were set in from inside the cabinets, I’m thinking “factory.”

Paint looks like brushed on latex.

I appreciate the comments in this thread regarding price, scarcity, and value—as well as observations about bargains.  In other places, people have engaged in price shaming, which I find unhelpful and disheartening.  Anytime someone buys used gear there is a context of time, market, price, availability, and logistics that all have a bearing on whether a purchase is a relatively good decision—all assuming you are in a position to buy.  I feel for people who only get feedback from people who bring up a “better deal” from a different seller at a different place and time.  I get that people have opinions about overpayment and also pride in a great find / great deal.  But I have little patience for people who thrive on being a killjoy.  Glad that there was none of that here.

I take the post above by Woofers & Tweeters about a $200 purchase not as shaming, but as a useful data point because it’s referencing similar speakers at a similar point in time.  (Location would give the data a bit more context, but it’s not the location who set the price, but the seller.). Similarly, the $500 price point for these speakers is good data, too.  It adds the dimension of a storefront that permits returns which is another factor in the price.

FWIW, I did walk away with (and not from) these speakers for $500 out the door.  I would have preferred perfect cabinets—and maybe even originals over version II—but these sound great and they are not embarrassing to look at as is.  If I ever see a similar pair for $200, I will still jump on them, knowing that price to be a bargain.  

While I wait for that, I’ll be giving these some exercise, grateful that the OP popped these out for the community to see and thankful that I was in a position to look them over and to bring them home.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, 001 said:

congratulations , 500$ is a fair price

Thanks. IMO, “fair price” is an apt description. It certainly wasn’t a giveaway, but it wasn’t above market when it was sold, where it was sold.

At some time, in some other place, similar speakers may be available at a lower or at a higher price.  For now, I don’t feel ripped off and I don’t feel like I got one over on the shop.   And I’m loving the speakers…

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • pcbiz changed the title to KP-250 II pair in Gaithersburg, MD - $499.00 - SOLD

These industrial speakers look like birch Heresies on the outside. The Klipsch nameplates are different, though, as are the grilles.  The industrial grilles are perforated metal.

Pop the grilles and you see the motor board from a KP-250 with two ports at the top.  Claude recommends a single port on the back of the Super Heresy. He’s measured the rear single port to be very effective at adding something like another octave of bass beyond what a normal H1 can deliver.  From what I gather, the industrials added the two front ports to increase sensitivity and volume at the expense of bass.  

The difference in ports alone will change the output.  The ports also have a bearing on “best placement,” which may affect which speaker is best for your application.  I haven’t yet modified one of my H1s to Super Heresy specs, but it’s on my list of things to do.  The industrial is pretty flexible as regards placement, but the tweeter & squawker are as directional as those on other Heresies.

The industrial has a KP-42 KP woofer, which is what Claude puts in Super Heresies.  I haven’t verified the other drivers, but I expect something from the Heresy II era.  It has a plastic network board marked for a KP-250, but I couldn’t see which variant without detaching the network—something I didn’t have the time to do.  I have KP-2500Cs that also have plastic network boards, but they have very different input options—one each for HF and LF.  My other KP-250s have wooden network boards.

I’ll probably start a thread on the KP-250 series at some point if I find something useful to say.  That’s going to take some time as I’m currently overloaded with projects.  For now, I’ll just listen to them as often as I can, thankful that the OP posted the alert.

AA41C51C-4F51-4043-B3D0-1CCF95192118.jpeg

My son has my H-IIs, so I haven’t done a direct comparison side by side and blind.  I do have H1s and Quartets close by for comparison.

Subjectively, they seem more alike than different. The KP-250s are designed to be loud, and they don’t disappoint.  The networks will take a lot of power and still protect from over current induced harm.  The woofers are more sensitive and that helps compensate for the forward facing ports which increase general sensitivity at the expense of raising the bass cutoff point.  Those ports could accept tubes that may capture a bit more bass, but I haven’t done the research.  I know that tube length and cabinet depth both influence the effectiveness of this mod.

The speakers I want to test against are KP-201s, which are also H2 based, but have no porting.