My Klipschorns Decorators’ Style D To Style B DIY Transformation Restoration

I purchased my used 1978 Klipschorns back around 2005. They were the Style D the decorators’ style version shown below. Mine looked very basic and somewhat rough, but local and for a fair enough price, so I bought them wanting Klipschorns for years, figuring I’d enjoy fixing them up. This is my recent second restoration of them. I wanted them to look more like factory Style B version also shown below, except for a few small differences I wanted, so I transformed mine that were like Fig. 11 into Fig. 9. Photos of my transformation of them below this post in this thread.

DE6857FC-343C-44DC-A455-5775422C12DF.jpeg

• Like 1

This is a photo during the restoration. The top cabinets pieces have been made and assembled and all other pieces made and painted black where needed and others ready for outer wood veneer. Lots of edge banding veneer after this, grill cloth, magnets installation, and some other items that needed to be done for completion. I had to make a lot of pieces for this restoration. There’s a total of 48 pieces in this photo that includes the ones in the already assembled top cabinets.

0DFD9DED-0915-47B8-98E2-DCC1179CDBE2.jpeg

I used the bottom boards of the old original decorators’ style top cabinets to make the tops of the new top cabinets, because I wanted the stamped serial numbers with the new top cabinets that can be seen in photo.

I used 3/4” MDF that I had, so I glued and screwed all boards together.

I spray painted the mid horns, their mounting brackets, and all horns screws satin black, so everything looks good and matches.

I installed new Crites’s CT120 tweeters and A/4500 crossovers during this restoration.

D009699A-F512-45A6-9E3A-A92C3C496E55.jpeg

• Like 1

The grill cloth is attached with a narrow line of glue along the back edges of its wood frames that’s more than enough to stretch and hold it, but easy enough to remove if another cloth is preferred later. 

Magnets are under the top cabinets fronts wood veneer and attracting magnets in their grill cloth board frames, so no grill cloth covers connectors are visible on speakers top cabinets with grills off.

Velcro holds lower bass cabinets grill cloth covers in place.

3405A34D-A71D-4118-AE02-FD0D16D074C3.jpeg

I didn’t put the base board across the bottom of the bass cabinets, because I prefer them without them, but may in the future.

I installed new woofers and door seals, mid driver diaphragms and new horn gaskets, all new large diameter wires, and all new connectors during my first restoration of them, so now all their electronic components are in good condition.

2D9351E0-2ED2-4EF0-9AF4-CC36553F4B85.jpeg

• Like 2

Wow congratulations on your beautiful conversion. Your speakers show what kind of result is achieved when very good craftsmanship, attention to detail, good taste and love for the product meet together.
Enjoy your amazing Klipschorns and their sound.

• Like 3

Just now, KT88 said:

Wow congratulations on your beautiful conversion. Your speakers show what kind of result is achieved when very good craftsmanship, attention to detail, good taste and love for the product meet together.
Enjoy your amazing Klipschorns and their sound.

Thank you.