Klipsch MCM Advice

AlmostGod

Heya everyone!

I'm going to check out an MCM system tomorrow, and I was wondering if anyone has the schematic for the OEM Crossover. I have zero experience with this Pro audio, but I'm so curious how it sounds I just have to buy them haha.

With what do I power this if I have the OEM XO?

Cheers!

On 6/28/2021 at 2:21 PM, AlmostGod said:

Heya!

I believe it isn't the full stack? 

"

MWM KLIPSCH 15" K-43 low-frequency Drivers

MSSM KLIPSCH 10" K-41 Upper-bass Driver

MSM KLIPSCH 2 guards hf 4000 drivers.

Plus two bins with eminence woofers.

"

Is what he said. 

I had a three way with the double MWM bass bins, the MSM mid with four K-55's per side per manifold and the MTMM four K-77's into a manifold per side. You are missing the HF and what I have heard is the MSSM's are OK but not really as good as the rest of the system. I ran mine through an OEM crossover and with a Crown XLI800 amp, 200 watts per channel, I never even turned it up half way in my shop. Outside may but not inside. These are really good sounding with superb presence and those single fold bass bins won't go super low but they will give you the best quality of sound. The HF problem is easy to take care of and I will PM you. Rare set and well worth getting and should not break the bank either. 

3 hours ago, Chris A said:

Chris,

I have been looking for that and another one. The MSM? tweeter manifold that used the four K-77's and not the piezo's also had a crossover inside the manifold cabinet. Your schematic does not include that so do you have that also?

8 hours ago, AlmostGod said:

Heya!

I believe it isn't the full stack? 

"

MWM KLIPSCH 15" K-43 low-frequency Drivers

MSSM KLIPSCH 10" K-41 Upper-bass Driver

MSM KLIPSCH 2 guards hf 4000 drivers.

Plus two bins with eminence woofers.

"

Is what he said. 

I guess the question is --------how much ?  and are you willing to wait and search for the missing gear - 

4 hours ago, RandyH001 said:

I guess the question is --------how much ?  and are you willing to wait and search for the missing gear - 

He's asking just over a 1000€.

This is the second set I've seen for sale in approx 7-10 years in my country. 

5 hours ago, RandyH001 said:

1 hour ago, AlmostGod said:

He's asking just over a 1000€.

This is the second set I've seen for sale in approx 7-10 years in my country. 

The important parts are all there.  An aftermarket tweeter will work just fine for this and Chris posted a schematic. When I recapped my set I was kind of surprised at how basic and simple the crossover for a three way was and the four way just adds a bit more. I would still be using my MCM 1900 set to this day if I had not built the Super MWM's. Room size might be a problem. When I ran mine with just a crossover and no room correction ability it did not open up and sound like it should until I spread them out to maybe 16' center to center.

Sitting here thinking about how I felt when I first got my set running right. It was amazing and the look on peoples faces when they first heard them was confirmation of what these can sound like. At 75db they are just stunning and have such presence at any volume. That's the mistake many make thinking they will only work loud. The better Klipsch Pro gear is the very best Klipsch makes period and is eminently capable. You want the best? Go big or go home.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dave A said:

The important parts are all there.  An aftermarket tweeter will work just fine for this and Chris posted a schematic. When I recapped my set I was kind of surprised at how basic and simple the crossover for a three way was and the four way just adds a bit more. I would still be using my MCM 1900 set to this day if I had not built the Super MWM's. Room size might be a problem. When I ran mine with just a crossover and no room correction ability it did not open up and sound like it should until I spread them out to maybe 16' center to center.

My room is about 16.5/17 feet wide, so I might be lucky, or unlucky haha. We'll find out. How far away should I sit from the speakers, and how much room do they need behind and next to them?

2 hours ago, AlmostGod said:

My room is about 16.5/17 feet wide, so I might be lucky, or unlucky haha. We'll find out. How far away should I sit from the speakers, and how much room do they need behind and next to them?

Shove them into the corners will work with a small gap to keep from banging your wall up. You might want to play with angles a bit and toe them out some so completely into the corner might be a bit of exaggeration. I normally sat, and still do with the S-MWM's maybe 10' or 12' in front of them.  I want to warn you about something. This kind of clean sound will be louder in DB than you think so get a DB meter. You can run up past 113 with little effort and be careful of your hearing. Your room width may be a problem but there is only one way to find out. One thing you could do to make more separation if you have to is build a false corner and stand the MWM up on one side so the mouth is vertical. The rest can go on a stand next to it. I never had to do that but that was going to be my fall back strategy if I had too. Like you I really wanted them to work. You could stand them up and make them parallel to the wall and maybe gain a bit more bass too.

How tall/high are your ceilings? Mine are about 10 feet. I can't move the MWMs into the corners, but have them leaning back on a side. I use the mid and tweeter from my LaScalas.

20200123_224516.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Islander said:

Did you have to really dial down the MWMs to level match them with the Scalas' HF sections?

Not much... I can really hear clean, low bass, though. I have yet to get a umik to get the response in room, but they actually sound great at the lower levels at which I listen.

I do have some other mid horns and 2 in. compressions drivers, and another pair of tweeters to hook up, but I want to go fully active to finish it up. I have the amps to go two way, but the mid driver is the PAudio BMD-750 which has some chatter up higher, so a three way would be smoother. Not real sure I could hear it with my 72 year old ears.

If by BMD-750 you mean the K-69-A drivers, mine sounded fine to my ears for years.  Then I got the K-691s, which do pop up from time to time, usually being sold by someone who was upgrading to Faital drivers.  The K-691s were a definite improvement, and our Chief Bonehead does have the settings for an active crossover, so that makes it much easier to get them in the ballpark, rather than starting out from scratch and trying to guess what kind of EQ those drivers and horns need, and how much of it.

Of course, you could jump right to the Faital drivers, but on the other hand, you choose when and where you feel like getting off the upgrade merry-go-round.  Only you know when the trade off between your resources (money and floor space) and your level of satisfaction reach the sweet spot that suits you.

Hmm, I wonder if and when the K-693 drivers will become available?  Nope, nope, nope, I’ll get the existing gear fully dialled in before I even think about another upgrade.  Fun, isn’t it?

Thanks everyone for replying! I picked them up today, there are Eminence drivers (Unknown which) in one pair, and Eminence LAB 15 in the others. There's the Gauss HF4000, and a pair of Eminence BETA 10A which are in the 10" cabinets. And the Klipsch K55 in the mid/high cabinets. I don't know if any of the drivers work, I'm going to take out the drivers and terminal to give them a thorough clean and test the drivers.

I saw there's a pic of a pair of MCM's and the cabinets have carpet on them? Is this original? I liked the look! Also going to brush the aluminum strips to make them look better and maybe paint them? It's going to be a long term project haha.  

Does anyone know how and if they sound good without a HF on them? How high does this midrange go?

• Haha 1