Klipsch MCM Advice

AlmostGod

6 hours ago, AlmostGod said:

Yeah I'll get some fans and open up the windows, that'll work?

I am sitting here thinking I won't give approval to doing something I would not be willing to do myself and this is one of those. Why don't you post pictures of all this dirt that has you bothered and see how others may have removed it. Perhaps a damp soapy rag should do fine for dirt and the heck with all the added complications

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

As @Dave A has mentioned you really should use an alternate cleaning method or chemical. Acetone is highly flammable and the vapors are just as ugly......it likes to find ignition sources and go BOOM. Just an opinion. On another note I think it is great that you are refurbing these. Awesome system and hard to beat.....that is a different playing field you have just entered into.

acetone.JPG

• Like 1

While working in the TV news business, I was at our local health dept on a story. There was a maintenance closet door open and I saw a couple 5 gallon cans of acetone sitting there. I have no idea why they had that in their closet, but that would have made a good boom.

Guys, this is all very considerate and all of the OP, but like a lot of online threads, has apparently taken on a life of its own.  See: https://blog-fgci.com/2016/08/30/8-solvents-for-cleaning-up-your-next-job/

I've done a fair amount of fiberglassing (boats, acoustic horns, body work, etc.) over the past 50 years and have found acetone to be both useful and effective.  I use it just about every time I do resin work.  But protection from breathing the fumes is the most important point. Skin contact is way down the list of considerations in my experience.  What really happens is that it takes away all the oils in your skin, causing skin cracking and dryness.  The solution is to use gloves that don't dissolve in acetone.  You can use nitrile or latex gloves, but butyl rubber is the most resistant to acetone.  You can typically find these wherever you buy acetone.

Chris

On 7/28/2021 at 8:35 AM, rockhound said:

As @Dave A has mentioned you really should use an alternate cleaning method or chemical. Acetone is highly flammable and the vapors are just as ugly......it likes to find ignition sources and go BOOM. Just an opinion. On another note I think it is great that you are refurbing these. Awesome system and hard to beat.....that is a different playing field you have just entered into.

acetone.JPG

So if you get it on your skin or hair, you should remove it immediately.  Okay, but I really like my skin and what’s left of my hair.  I am not removing it, no matter what that label says!

EDIT:  Oops, maybe I didn’t look closely enough at the punctuation.  Like the difference between “Let’s eat, Grandma!” and “Let’s eat Grandma!”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Islander said:

So if you get it on your skin or hair, you should remove it immediately.  Okay, but I really like my skin and what’s left of my hair.  I am not removing it, no matter what that label says!

EDIT:  Oops, maybe I didn’t look closely enough at the punctuation.  Like the difference between “Let’s eat, Grandma!” and “Let’s eat Grandma!”

Acetone evaporates pretty quickly... it removes itself fast.  😆

• Haha 1

On 7/26/2021 at 11:49 AM, AlmostGod said:

I'm having a hard time thoroughly cleaning that fiberglass, dirt stays in there, I'd really love to pressure wash them but I'm not going to take them down 2 floors to clean. Anyone got any tips?

do you have a  balcony in that apartment or a terrasse closeby 

• Moderators
On 7/28/2021 at 7:39 AM, Dave A said:

Why don't you post pictures of all this dirt that has you bothered and see how others may have removed it.

True, the dirt is better than the ash from the flash fire from the explosion. Don't get me wrong I love a good explosion but inside just makes much more work, if your still around that is. 

If nothing else run a camera, and be sure to say "hold my beer and watch this", you would he a hit on YouTube.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Okay, I haven't tried acetone since you guys think it's a bad idea. 

How do I clean them? They're up on the second floor I don't want to haul them down stairs. I don't have a terrace, I can open a lot of windows in my appartement and get some fans to help the acetone fumes.

It's a lot of dirt, dust, spilled drinks etc etc. Any advice? I tried the strongest degreaser that's available for home use but when it dries up it's just as dirty (Or so it seems).

Help would be appreciated!

Degreaser is not the thing to use. Soapy water, perhaps with Dawn dish detergent which seems to work on about anything and a rag dampened down with it and scrub. I removed an earler comment as I think this might be better.

Did you ever post pictures of this dirt that got you excited?

On 7/30/2021 at 11:39 AM, dtel said:

True, the dirt is better than the ash from the flash fire from the explosion. Don't get me wrong I love a good explosion but inside just makes much more work, if your still around that is. 

Dtel he is AlmostGod he should be fine LOL

• Moderators
7 hours ago, AlmostGod said:

Okay, I haven't tried acetone since you guys think it's a bad idea. 

How do I clean them? They're up on the second floor I don't want to haul them down stairs. I don't have a terrace, I can open a lot of windows in my appartement and get some fans to help the acetone fumes.

It's a lot of dirt, dust, spilled drinks etc etc. Any advice? I tried the strongest degreaser that's available for home use but when it dries up it's just as dirty (Or so it seems).

Help would be appreciated!

If nonflammable dawn, etc. will work, great, best first choice.

If not, acetone is the best for cleaning any fiberglass coated speakers. It's approved for indoor use if WELL VENTILATED. 

Do you have a gas water heater? Where is it located? If a pilot light isn't a concern, and you can open up doors windows with a fan you can do it safely.

These guys forget that back in the day their, Moms, girlfriends, sisters would clean their fingernails while smoking a cigarette all the time and never had a problem. Fingernail polish remover is acetone. 

I would get what you can with Dawn and large painter sponges. Anything stubborn hit with acetone. I would use the acetone on a small area not easily seen. If it removes the paint STOP. Plan B.

10 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

If nonflammable dawn, etc. will work, great, best first choice.

If not, acetone is the best for cleaning any fiberglass coated speakers. It's approved for indoor use if WELL VENTILATED. 

Do you have a gas water heater? Where is it located? If a pilot light isn't a concern, and you can open up doors windows with a fan you can do it safely.

These guys forget that back in the day their, Moms, girlfriends, sisters would clean their fingernails while smoking a cigarette all the time and never had a problem. Fingernail polish remover is acetone. 

I would get what you can with Dawn and large painter sponges. Anything stubborn hit with acetone. I would use the acetone on a small area not easily seen. If it removes the paint STOP. Plan B.

Hmm, yes but a one ounce bottle and two square inches is a slightly different scale than multiples of square feet.

On 6/30/2021 at 7:10 PM, AlmostGod said:

Thanks everyone for replying! I picked them up today, there are Eminence drivers (Unknown which) in one pair, and Eminence LAB 15 in the others. There's the Gauss HF4000, and a pair of Eminence BETA 10A which are in the 10" cabinets. And the Klipsch K55 in the mid/high cabinets. I don't know if any of the drivers work, I'm going to take out the drivers and terminal to give them a thorough clean and test the drivers.

I saw there's a pic of a pair of MCM's and the cabinets have carpet on them? Is this original? I liked the look! Also going to brush the aluminum strips to make them look better and maybe paint them? It's going to be a long term project haha.  

Does anyone know how and if they sound good without a HF on them? How high does this midrange go?

Late to the party, I know, but the Gauss drivers will go out to 15 Khz., according to an interview I had with Gary Gillum, Klipch's retired/former Chief Engineer and co-patent holder with PWK. so You don't need a tweeter, unless you want wider dispersion.

6 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Good grief... they also weigh about 30 lbs. each.

Yep, they are even bigger/heavier than my JBL 2441's.

When I met Bob Moers in 1976, I saw photos of Raw Plywood prototypes of the MCM1900. They were a 2-way setup with K-33's in them.

But like all things abused by PA idiots with too many watts, they were burning out diaphragms up, so PWK came up with the Quad K55 module, Eminence came up with the K-43, and the MCM ended up as a 4-way design to help out and was still abused by the PA Idiots with too much power.