5800 and 3800 mixing

Awpopp

Hey guys, I’m in the process of building a new construction home and will be doing some in wall and in wall ceiling speakers for a great room home theater setup. I bought four CDT-3800’s for both atmos and rear surround. My plan was to get R-3800’s for my L+R fronts, but I found a a good deal on R-5800’s and bought those. Does anyone think this will be an issue as far as timbre matching, or not much since it’s more important to match fronts. Furthermore, I need a standard center channel since stud placement prevents a centered in wall center channel. Suggestions for a center channel? I was thinking the RP-400C. Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

• Like 1

I see...well hopefully you will get the input you need here. Not many members address this situation here but, if not, I will be back to answer more than timbre, if any more questions.

A search here of the archive, and some of those threads should assist you meanwhile.

Welcome Awpopp!

I'm glad you found the R-5800 for fronts.  I've installed a number of in-wall and in-ceiling Klipsch for several friends as well as my home.  We did a 18x26 family room where we started with all in-ceiling speakers.  I was not pleased with the front channels coming from the ceiling, so we installed RCW-5, a previous generation 8' in-wall, with much more satisfactory results.

Timbre match should not be a problem with your combination.

Since you are doing new construction, you have the opportunity to modify the framing to accommodate the center channel in-wall centered under or over the video.  Simply box out the studs to accommodate the center speaker.  Another option is the phantom center, using just left and right, but I much prefer the added flexibility and control with the center speaker.

Hope this helps . . . . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve decided against modifying any of the framing. It would be an additional change order fee at this point with my builder. So I am going to go with a standard center channel. Does the RP-400C seem like a good match for the R-5800’s? Appreciate the feedback @bhendrix

Edited by Awpopp
Addition

3 hours ago, Awpopp said:

I’ve decided against modifying any of the framing. It would be an additional change order fee at this point with my builder. So I am going to go with a standard center channel. Does the RP-400C seem like a good match for the R-5800’s? Appreciate the feedback @bhendrix

I have not heard the RP-400C, so that's a question better answered by Corey or someone with direct experience.  It seem like the components and specs are close enough to give it a whirl so long as you can exchange for something else.  

• Like 2