Is my LxWxH =15X11x8ft room OK for Khorns?

pythagore

Hi Guys,

I had the khorns before, but because of a few busy years I had no time to use them, sold them 3 years ago; I have been in constant regret since. I simply can not wait anymore I decide that I will buy another pair. But the problem is -- the only room I have available is my home basement office room, and it is only 15x11x8ft, not only that, it has a large desk with 3 large 27" monitors. Will that be acceptable if the khorns are placed along the 15ft wall and I sit way back at the 11ft wall? Ceiling height is just 8ft.

See attached a picture of the room

Thanks a lot.

bsmnt_office_room1.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Panelhead said:

I have to say no. People do it, even smaller rooms, but you are really too close.

At best you will be 10’ from each speaker. And that is with back to the wall. 

I disagree. Naysay vs. solution. The OP can choose.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

put them on short wall and make sure your head is exactly in the center of the room.

Sorry Claude, but I have to disagree.  There is just far too much equipment in that room to fashion a coherent listening space.

Klipsch recommends a minimum ceiling height of 8-1/2 feet for Klipschorns.  The Khorns will work in your room, but they won’t be able to sound their best.  It may be because the squawkers and tweeters would be closer to the ceiling than Paul Klipsch would have liked, due to early reflections from the ceiling causing a less sharp image, in the same way that long ago, when we used rabbit-ear TV antennas, we’d sometimes get a faint “ghost image”, which would mess up the view.

However, if you get a great deal on a pair, and are happy to listen to them in a compromised situation, why not get them?  Are you planning to live there for a decade or more, or do you have a roomier home, with higher ceilings, in mind for the not-so-distant future?

Only you can decide what’s most important to you, and which factors are less important.  Good luck on your quest for great listening!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

put them on short wall and make sure your head is exactly in the center of the room.

Isn’t the exact centre of the room a null zone, where deep bass notes are cancelled out by out-of-phase reflections?  Or were you just kidding?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Islander said:

Isn’t the exact centre of the room a null zone, where deep bass notes are cancelled out by out-of-phase reflections?  Or were you just kidding?

Not kidding. I did my own Dolby Atmos/2 channel system in a similar (16.5 x 11.5 x 8 ft.) room with great results. He just needs to add diffusion/absorption for the mids and highs. Get the flattest bass possible FIRST, then EQ and/or use room treatments for the rest. The huge wavelengths and the MODAL aspects of bass response below 100 Hz. are the most difficult to tame, so it only makes sense to start there for the least amount of "FIGHT to get sound RIGHT."

15_11_8_Khornroom.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Islander said:

Klipsch recommends a minimum ceiling height of 8-1/2 feet for Klipschorns.  The Khorns will work in your room, but they won’t be able to sound their best.  It may be because the squawkers and tweeters would be closer to the ceiling than Paul Klipsch would have liked, due to early reflections from the ceiling causing a less sharp image, in the same way that long ago, when we used rabbit-ear TV antennas, we’d sometimes get a faint “ghost image”, which would mess up the view.

However, if you get a great deal on a pair, and are happy to listen to them in a compromised situation, why not get them?  Are you planning to live there for a decade or more, or do you have a roomier home, with higher ceilings, in mind for the not-so-distant future?

Only you can decide what’s most important to you, and which factors are less important.  Good luck on your quest for great listening!

I do have bigger much bigger rooms with 9ft ceiling on the main floor,  however, I never really spent anytime in these rooms; I spend most of my time in that basement working room, which is why I want them there.

19 minutes ago, pythagore said:

I do have bigger much bigger rooms with 9ft ceiling on the main floor,  however, I never really spent anytime in these rooms; I spend most of my time in that basement working room, which is why I want them there.

Blah, Blah, Blah, from everyone...............with no success in small room and/or no simulation.............You need the NIKE slogan...............................Just Do It! I'll take the blame or the credit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

You need the NIKE slogan...............................Just Do It!

You guys have convinced me. I am in Ottawa Canada, the speakers are in Toronto, I am heading to Toronto tomorrow to pick them up. 

Thank you again for your advice.

• Like 6

And since you are decided, I used a small room for LaScala nearfield and left the door open for whole house listening. Sounds good both ways.

Thought of the room as a horn with the door as the mouth.

Safe travels...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Sorry Claude, but I have to disagree.  There is just far too much equipment in that room to fashion a coherent listening space.

Nothing that acoustic modifications to the WALLS and moving the desk 90 degrees to place the listener's head to the room center wouldn't mostly cure. Also adding modern Room EQ techniques on the "top layer"  once the MODAL aspects of the bass below 60-80 Hz. are taken care of.

I had 2 pairs of Khorns over 30 years , in 6 different homes, until I got hooked on Klipsch Pro speakers with Subs and HT with another 7 different rooms in the last 14 years. Each time I had to have different setups to get the best quality sound, including 6 different Horn Loaded Subwoofers. If you get the BASS right FIRST, the rest is much easier to deal with.

Yet, most people, including Klipscheads, do the opposite and deal with the bass last.

The First 2 octaves of BASS (20-80 Hz.) is the most Expensive and difficult thing to deal with in a sound system. If you take care of that first, the rest is easier without increasing IM Distortion.

But people who listen to LaScalas with no subwoofers and are HAPPY, will not care about this (ignorance is bliss in that case), which make our disagreement a non issue either way to the guy who's trying to make his room work (the most expensive and important component of all in Audio).

The biggest difference here is there's a handful of responses here that say, effectively,  "That won't work!" Whereas, I've produced simulation data for his actual space (and LOTS positive experience) that says: "Try this because it has worked for me, and I hope it works for you."

Short answer is an emphatic NO.

Long answer: depends on your expectations. 

My room is considerably bigger than yours at 15.5 x 26 ft. I had khorns on the short wall. The sound was pretty darn good, but I never felt like the sweet spot and imaging was nearly as good as it should have been. The toe in was too extreme. I felt like a 17 or 18 ft wall would have been ideal.

Your room is very small and very cluttered. I wouldn’t recommend khorns for that space unless you can live with about 60% of their potential.

Shakey