Gas Prices and Inflation (Split Thread)

Bubo

Filled up my car yesterday

Regular up from $2 now $3.45

Hi test aka super now at $4 Gal

Fuel cost effects every other price, since everything requires transport inc workers.

Inflation is just begining

Like a snowball rolling down hill, it will gather size and strength

5 hours ago, Bubo said:

Filled up my car yesterday

Regular up from $2 now $3.45

Hi test aka super now at $4 Gal

Fuel cost effects every other price, since everything requires transport inc workers.

Inflation is just begining

Like a snowball rolling down hill, it will gather size and strength

Premium here is $7.37 per American Gallon (3.785 liters)

3 hours ago, NBPK402 said:

The reports I saw on the news is it is being blamed on COVID and the Suez Canal... and it is worldwide price increases.

Covid will go away, and fuel shortages due to the Suez Canal fiasco will pass.  So, shipping costs should go back down.   Will retail prices follow?  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The economy has been grinding to a halt. There are supply issues, and now everything is taking off at the same time. Demand can’t be met and/or everything used to make things is going up.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, JefDC said:

Belgium, but that price is representative for a large part of Europe.

Same was true when I lived in Europe 40 years ago

always more expenisve

No oil wells in most of Europe

33 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

but people aren't willing to work.

Sure they are, they just aren’t going to do it for $7 an hour anymore. If you can’t afford to pay more than that for labor, you deserve to go out of business. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Deang said:

Sure they are, they just aren’t going to do it for $7 an hour anymore. If you can’t afford to pay more than that for labor, you deserve to go out of business. 

1) Deserve? Large businesses that makes millions and billions can afford to pay wages that put small businesses out of business, you might be for that, I am not.

2) More kiosks will spring up to replace more people. Is that good for people who need those entry level jobs?

3) Vote seekers will be happy to promise other people's money, but it is to get votes, not to help those who it hurts. In the end, it only places entry level jobs out of reach of the people who have no or low skills: the people who need those opportunities to get a start. 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

1) Deserve? Large businesses that makes millions and billions can afford to pay wages that put small businesses out of business, you might be for that, I am not.

2) More kiosks will spring up to replace more people. Is that good for people who need those entry level jobs?

3) Vote seekers will be happy to promise other people's money, but it is to get votes, not to help those who it hurts. In the end, it only places entry level jobs out of reach of the people who have no or low skills: the people who need those opportunities to get a start. 

I agree with you on everything, but I see Dean's point about what earnings need to be the minimum to survive.In Germany, we have reached a point where salaries that are too small are topped up by state support. This is unfair in my view, because it does not help the poor employees but companies that are unscrupulous.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KT88 said:

I agree with you on everything, but I see Dean's point about what earnings need to be the minimum to survive.

Minimum wage is not supposed to be a living wage. It is an entry level pay and that is something that should not be set by the government and should only be set by supply and demand. Don't like one's pay? Acquire a skill or education that makes on more marketable. No one is forced to work someplace. If an employer is not willing to pay for said skills, then they will not retain that employee and another company will benefit. Let supply and demand level things out.  

In Germany, we have reached a point where salaries that are too small are topped up by state support.

Government support is not fair to tax payers and it allows big businesses rape employees and tax payers alike.

This is unfair in my view, because it does not help the poor employees but companies that are unscrupulous.

It will remain unscrupulous as long as there is government intervention.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Deang said:

The economy has been grinding to a halt. There are supply issues, and now everything is taking off at the same time. Demand can’t be met and/or everything used to make things is going up.

Thank You.  High demand and low supply due to shortages of everything everywhere from closures and reduced ability to produce from Covid ........plus suppliers are short handed because workers like to stay home and collect unemployment.  Prices are going to go up for the foreseeable future.

Take a drive on a major highway sometime and look at the number of tractor trailers.  Unprecedented amount of shipping going on.  Trying to meet demands.

I agree, let's keep it essentially non-political. Neither the left nor the right want a bad economy, they just have wildly opposite ideas about how to make a good economy. I have political views but I still assume the "other side" wants good.

The price of plywood and hair gel have both skyrocketed. (I had to buy some hair gel for my wife a couple of days ago).

Let's argue about toe in. I've already made up my mind on tubes and cables.

Edit: Just visited a Klipsch Facebook page, they are arguing disagreeing about "grills on versus grills off", but doing it very politely.

I like the GB Shaw quote.

Is inflation going higher or lower? We checked with the model that has the best record (msn.com)

As for toe in with forte IIs, Klipsch recommended being able to look down the throats of the horns while sitting in the sweet spot.  For those who move around a lot, they are rarely in a sweet spot, so I can see the rationale behind less toe in.  I don't know how it measures though.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I like the GB Shaw quote.

Is inflation going higher or lower? We checked with the model that has the best record (msn.com)

As for toe in with forte IIs, Klipsch recommended being able to look down the throats of the horns while sitting in the sweet spot.  For those who move around a lot, they are rarely in a sweet spot, so I can see the rationale behind less toe in.  I don't know how it measures though.

At Bonehead's class in 2019 he mentioned and had his Jubs crossfiring.  In other words significantly toed so they crossed in front of the listening position.

Edit..........and something else.........he also discussed how he tilted them downward slightly to keep reflections off the ceiling.