Gas Prices and Inflation (Split Thread)

Bubo

41 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

And?  I gots ta know.

( In other words significantly toed so they crossed in front of the listening position.)

I don't understand why you would want to cross in front of the listening position either, so I would also like to know the reasoning behind this.

I use a long T-square to help aim my speakers...  The cross piece is placed firmly on the top back of the speaker, and the 3' rule is then aimed directly at the listening spot so that I absolutely know that it is aimed directly at the listening position of my head.  Shims are used to bring either the front or back of the speaker up, effectively raising or lowering the aiming spot of the mid horn (which is the most important audio frequency range to me!).

Now I will reveal my hidden shame to the world:  I was a "sound guy" back in my youth, and I was living in the farthest south you can get in North Carolina.  Due south of Charlotte, in fact.  I had a secondary job as a bouncer in a topless establishment, but my primary job during the day was as the "sound guy" for Heritage USA, which was directly over the state line in South Carolina. 

That's right, I worked for Jim and Tammy Bakker. 

They had a few venues on the property where I was required to work the mixing boards, troubleshoot issues, and generally keep things running smoothly.  There was the TV studio/auditorium (which means room or area for listening in Latin!), the water park, and the outdoor amphitheater where they performed plays in the round.  It looked identical to the historical Roman outdoor amphitheaters. 

(If this doesn't shift the topic, I don't know what will...)

If anyone has any questions, please post them here.  I will answer all that I can.  Remind me to talk about fixing the sound problem for "The Coasters" at a live venue, and being asked to hang out and party with them that night after the show.  Cognac and Dom were the primary catalysts for spontaneous music and humor.  Then they started making "mixed drinks" (as they called them...), consisting of Cognac with Dom on top in a 1/3rd - 2/3rds ratio.  Very similar to my grandfathers' Canadian - 7 mixes every night (but with a LOT more kick!).

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Oicu812 said:

I don't understand why you would want to cross in front of the listening position either, so I would also like to know the reasoning behind this.

I use a long T-square to help aim my speakers...  The cross piece is placed firmly on the top back of the speaker, and the 3' rule is then aimed directly at the listening spot so that I absolutely know that it is aimed directly at the listening position of my head.  Shims are used to bring either the front or back of the speaker up, effectively raising or lowering the aiming spot of the mid horn (which is the most important audio frequency range to me!).

Now I will reveal my hidden shame to the world:  I was a "sound guy" back in my youth, and I was living in the farthest south you can get in North Carolina.  Due south of Charlotte, in fact.  I had a secondary job as a bouncer in a topless establishment, but my primary job during the day was as the "sound guy" for Heritage USA, which was directly over the state line in South Carolina.  That's right, I worked for Jim and Tammy Bakker.  They had a few venues on the property where I was required to work the mixing boards, troubleshoot issues, and generally keep things running smoothly.  There was the TV studio/auditorium (which means room or area for listening in Latin!), the water park, and the outdoor amphitheater where they performed plays in the round.  It looked identical to the historical Roman outdoor amphitheaters. 

(If this doesn't shift the topic, I don't know what will...)

If anyone has any questions, please post them here.  I will answer all that I can.

Oh I miss Jim and Tammy Faye.....they were so sweet!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Oh I miss Jim and Tammy Faye.....they were so sweet!

Tammy looked in person like she put on her makeup with a trowel, but she actually was  really nice to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Deang said:

I never thought of economics as being political, but I suppose it is. 

The verifiable economic results are facts

it's how you get there that is a matter of policy.......

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bubo said:

The verifiable economic results are facts

it's how you get there that is a matter of policy.......

Darn it, Bubo. I was trying to derail that particular thread of conversation...  *<;o)

12 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

I know of several previous instances where members have posted something similar in the past. A heads up, like if you are in the market  you way want to act soon. 

This happened a couple of years ago with the Heritage line, La Scala price for sure, being increased. People made decisions based on that information, and it saved them money.  There was some discussion about whether the increased

was warranted, but there was no digression into macro and micro economic theory, monetary policy, etc.

I wasn't in the market for anything..............

but I ran across a low miles car and purchased it; with the expectation that prices are more likely to go up than down

Driving 5K mi per year, the car is likely to outlast me.

My current car is 18 years old, my daughter will likely be the most frequent driver new grad.

If I had a place to put them, there would be a pair of current production Jubes in route to my home.

The amount people can pay monthly for a home is relatively fixed unless we start weekly pay increases.

So, if interest rates move up, than home prices will move down, perhaps precipitously.

My mother's retirement community doubled fees a few years ago, prices of the homes collapsed 50% overnight.

Another country I follow, now has a growing mountain of unsold homes and commercial on the market.

If prices drop like the Hindenburg, maybe the tropical mountainside home I don't need will be in the cards.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Oicu812 said:

Tammy looked in person like she put on her makeup with a trowel, but she actually was  really nice to me.

You could move off and start a Tammy and Jim thread

or

My life as a Topless Bouncer😉

Be sure to keep the movie rights.....

One thing not getting mentioned WRT supply issues is the situation in TX with the "freeze-out". Some 60% of goods sold in the US that use injection molded/similar plastics come from products that come out of TX refineries/processes and the repairs on that equipment infrastructure has delayed all manner of equipments. This has been of particular mention in the lawn care business - companies like Toro and similar have mentioned this specifically. They got behind at the worst possible time, over the winter when those goods are being built and sent to end buyers.

The demand for lawn mowers goes on, but the places who produce the raw materials is crippled. It has everything to do with a lack of supply of normal ingredients that are not normally an issue to get. People are looking WAYYYYYYY too deep into this.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pondoro said:

Maybe a thread on odd career paths.

Oh my, you have no idea just how odd my career path has been. 

My wife is a professional musician, and made the blanket statement about me having no where as many jobs as she had.  So I told her to write down all of the jobs she could, until it took more than 5 minutes between each to remember.  I did the same.  Once I got to 214, I had to call it quits.  Let's just say that I won the title, hands down, no contest.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Bubo said:

or

My life as a Topless Bouncer😉

Be sure to keep the movie rights.....

I thought you were going to point out that the thread would be useless without pictures... :ph34r:

• Haha 3

I had a thought on why you might want to cross in front of the listening area.

It might be that way if you wanted to maximize the spread for more than one person, say two people side by side in chairs.

Just now, Coytee said:

I thought you were going to point out that the thread would be useless without pictures... :ph34r:

I think that there are plenty of pictures for that kind of thing on the Internet as it is.  *<;o)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Audible Nectar said:

One thing not getting mentioned WRT supply issues is the situation in TX with the "freeze-out". Some 60% of goods sold in the US that use injection molded/similar plastics come from products that come out of TX refineries/processes and the repairs on that equipment infrastructure has delayed all manner of equipments. This has been of particular mention in the lawn care business - companies like Toro and similar have mentioned this specifically. They got behind at the worst possible time, over the winter when those goods are being built and sent to end buyers.

The demand for lawn mowers goes on, but the places who produce the raw materials is crippled. It has everything to do with a lack of supply of normal ingredients that are not normally an issue to get. People are looking WAYYYYYYY too deep into this.

JIT manufacturing and the Tax code will get all of us killed eventually

JIT food for starters .......

12 minutes ago, mdm7eb said:

My day job is a financial regulator. I would say everything is political -- economics and policy. But, isn't that why we listen to music? To drown out the noise that pulls us away from joy?

Most modern philosophers would agree.  One even outright said man is a political animal.  Joy is a subjective term, since for some the subject of avoidance being danced around is a source of utmost joy.  As for the rest of us, I suspect we listen to music for differing reasons, and in differing ways.  For example, a non-musician will never listen in the same way as a musician, especially a formally trained one.  I declare this thread formally hijacked.  :hijack:

Man is a political animal (Meaning of Aristotle quote) - Philosophers (the-philosophy.com)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2