Gas Prices and Inflation (Split Thread)

Bubo

Prices always go up. I bought my LaScala's in the 80's for $1,500 which was a lot in 80's money. Average Joe had to save to buy them. Still a wise investment because I have never seriously considered changing speakers and I could recoup my price any time I decide to sell. Always had parrots my entire life. My African Grey died a couple of years ago after living for over 35 years with me. I paid $700 for him at the time. Been pricing one these days and was shocked to find $5,000 and hard to find. Admittedly the price of pets went up after many were housebound last year that sought pets. Priced a cute little puppy at the pet store last weekend expecting at most $1,500 but my grand daughter had to pick me up off the floor when I was told they were asking $5,000 for the dog. $5,000 for a dog! 

All that being said I have never in my 72 years seen inflation sky rocketing as it has since January. Job wanted signs at every business with no one wanting to fill the position. One can argue all day that it has nothing to do with the changing of the guard but that is usually from the too educated ones with high fixed incomes. Common peasants like myself know the reason. I have tried not to say anything political but to only  speak the truth and facts. I also agree it is shameful that everything has to be political these days but one cannot belong to any forum without the truth being said no matter the amount of censorship or banning of both sides of the argument. Politics is so much a part of our everyday lives these days with those in power trying to divide us. We hear it everyday on the news. The truth is in my mixed neighborhood with African Americans, Caucasians, Mexicans and Asians we all get along and are all friendly to each other. I walk every day in my neighborhood and wave and speak to everyone with only smiles and wave backs. I am a Caucasian with a Japanese girlfriend which I have had for over 12 years. We get along wonderfully. One reason is probably because we both own our separate homes on the same street. We kiss every night and say see you in the morning sweetheart. Two houses make for a great relationship. 

All of us can just enjoy our speakers and listening to music to escape from what is happening all around the world with a deadly killer disease and inflation sky rocketing to who knows where and try not to ruin this forum with heated discussions on what is happening around the world. It is what it is and I hope the best for all of us.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, garyrc said:

When Edmund G. Brown (Jerry Brown's father) was governor of California, in the early '60s, they issued an advisory to the DMV that most cars were unsuitable after 60,000 miles.  Mechanics kept some going to beyond 100K, though.

A friend of mine drove around with a hole in the floorboard of his car, you could see the road speeding by through the floor.  Of course, he had one door tied closed with a rope.  A cloud of bright white/gray smoke &/or steam would shoot out of his car's exhaust pipe when he started up. 

You knew your car was in bad shape if you slammed the door and drove away leaving the outline of the car in rust on the pavement.

• Haha 2

I'm selling a lot of my audio gear to finance the price increases of child supplies I buy at Costco...

2 examples:

Huggies Diapers are now $49.99 up from $43.99 = 13.6% increase

Desitin is now $19.99 up from $16.99 = 17.7% increase

Do you think I'll get a comparable raise being a teacher? hahaha, I wish!

• Like 1

• Moderators

It starts here, and what all monastery policy flows from,  whether you are in the Friedman School or Keynesian school, or the various branches: The Phillips Curve, and modern refinements that take into account inflationary expectations. Do you adjust monetary policy (in the short term) to reduce inflation or unemployment? (Inflation and unemployment generally have an inverse relationship, but not always depending upon other factors including inflationary expectations). Periods of both high unemployment and high inflation we call "stagflation" - this is where the misery index came from in the 70s. See chart below:

image.thumb.png.e0270280f3f2ffffee5cb85a527bf4f5.png

• Like 3

A school of thought included, what we are looking to find presently is a way to dissapate iinflation.

If one can agree or not, spending will either be the remedy or the downfall short-term. Using the graph for employment is not as informative of late as  employment satisfaction. Therein lies the solution.

A satisfied worker is keen.

Inflation on the other hand is just another indicator of the ever changing economic.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Yes you have, either you don't want to remember, or can't. Let me help you and everyone else:

image.thumb.png.0d97e371f1b22faf2670b1c019dd2e5c.png

https://www.breitbart.com/economy/2021/06/17/inflation-hits-highest-level-since-1979-in-philly-fed-survey/

The year is not over yet, just hang on. And yes being old memory is not what it was but that does not make the inflation we have now any better only worse when on limited SS benefits.

The heritage line of Klipsch is still a good investment even with the price increase in my opinion. You will not go wrong buying the heritage line. Good old USA made with quality parts. 

Screen-Shot-2021-06-17-at-1.30.14-PM.png

• Like 1

I've never seen so many help wanted signs at so many business' right now in the small community I live in. Plenty of jobs and no one to fill them. My brother needed repairs done to his car and called his local independent shop he has been using about bringing it in. The owner said do not bring it to him because many of his employee's are at home getting more money and benefits for not working than showing up for work. That says a lot of the state of affairs of our country and inflation. 

• Like 1

"The Sky Is Falling." Seems to be a theme around here, between reading these "inflation" threads along with the encyclopedia of politically loaded signatures on this forum you'd think the sun was going supernova.

New Heritage too expensive? Buy used. I did - best purchases in my audio life of 50 years. The Cornwalls I'll be busting out with this fall will be guaranteed to satisfy after a few mild improvements and tweaks, all garnered from this forum and others as to how best to make use of them. 

Heritage has increased in price every decade they have existed , save for maybe the used market in the early oughts. And the sun came up this morning. And no matter what you choose, they're all pretty much worth it 🙂

• Like 3

3 hours ago, henry4841 said:

I've never seen so many help wanted signs at so many business' right now in the small community I live in. Plenty of jobs and no one to fill them. My brother needed repairs done to his car and called his local independent shop he has been using about bringing it in. The owner said do not bring it to him because many of his employee's are at home getting more money and benefits for not working than showing up for work. That says a lot of the state of affairs of our country and inflation. 

That's pretty much everywhere now.

• Like 1

That's pretty much everywhere now.
My lowest paid mechanics make $1120.00 a week in a 40 work week. Our state unemployment pays a max $440 a week, add the additional $300.00 and at most, someone brings home $740.00, that's $380.00 less than what they make working. Every tech I talked to would rather work 40 hours for the additional $380 than sit at home. If techs in your area are making more than what they make at work, your company isn't paying enough or state needs to adjust their unemployment benefits.

I do believe that servers at restaurants are making more on unemployment, which shines some light on pay issues in those industries. I also believe that many of those people finally had opportunity to find better paying jobs...such as a delivery driver at Amazon. Add that Amazon created 400,000 jobs (worldwide), those people that once made less serving hamburgers to pissed off ungrateful people, now make more delivering packages to and for ungrateful pissed off people.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• Moderators
8 hours ago, henry4841 said:

The year is not over yet, just hang on. And yes being old memory is not what it was but that does not make the inflation we have now any better only worse when on limited SS benefits

No question that inflation has a disproportionate impact on those with fixed incomes. The adjustments lag what is reality and you bear the brunt. The target of the Fed is 2% per year and they have hit that or better for a good number of years.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, henry4841 said:

The heritage line of Klipsch is still a good investment even with the price increase in my opinion. You will not go wrong buying the heritage line. Good old USA made with quality parts. 

Last year I pulled up price for oiled walnut Khorns in 1963 I think it was. I put that number in 3 different CPI/Inflation calculators and got back that the price should range between $14,800 and $15,200. 

It's not even accurate because the AK6 is a different speaker, improvements (it's not fungible like orange juice, gas or eggs). 

I think a pair of AK6s are $15,000. 

I think you are exactly right, excellent value.

23 minutes ago, The Dude said:

My lowest paid mechanics make $1120.00 a week in a 40 work week. Our state unemployment pays a max $440 a week, add the additional $300.00 and at most, someone brings home $740.00, that's $380.00 less than what they make working. Every tech I talked to would rather work 40 hours for the additional $380 than sit at home. If techs in your area are making more than what they make at work, your company isn't paying enough or state needs to adjust their unemployment benefits.

I do believe that servers at restaurants are making more on unemployment, which shines some light on pay issues in those industries. I also believe that many of those people finally had opportunity to find better paying jobs...such as a delivery driver at Amazon. Add that Amazon created 400,000 jobs (worldwide), those people that once made less serving hamburgers to pissed off ungrateful people, now make more delivering packages to and for ungrateful pissed off people.

All my techs make more working than on unemployment.  Our state is also ending the "extra" unemployment benefit at the end of the month which should help other businesses.  Restaurants, retail outlets and pretty much any business around here that hires people that are semi or low skilled jobs can't find help.

• Like 1