Gas Prices and Inflation (Split Thread)

Bubo

The main factors are still supply and demand.  OPEC in the news today with their squabbles, demand is way up with the easing of covid, in the US the past weekend is always a high demand time and refineries are in a cycle of shifting production.  Lumber has fallen significantly but resellers still have stock from the higher prices and will not immediately lower their prices.

On the other hand the bond market, not known for stupidity, is in a rally mode with the 10 year treasury yield down to the 1.3% range.  That doesn't sound like they are scared does it?

• Thanks 1

The Fresh Prez of DC, just search and watch for a thing called "comedy". View at your own risk,directly related to economy. That was a thing some years ago. It was really cool cause it was "funny". That's another thing that used to mean you laughed, not a comment on how great things are.....

2 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

Our Economy is booming!

Agree, but it wasn't until the Orange Man stepped into office that the Booming began shortly after. That's fact, but I know your opinion already. 

China's gift to the world "Covid" put the breaks on the "Booming" part and now that their "Dream Team" is occupying the big chairs things have good from bad (pure Covid related shut downs) to worse (Unrestrained Inflation),.... unless of course your in politics and play the cronyism game.  I know a few residential contractors' have gone under; but it was partly they're own fault for having poor contract that didn't account for the material cost increases.

On another story.... I just got back from the boat mechanic. Took my bass boat in for from TLC. Unfortunately he can't get to it for 2 months because he's lost 6 people. He (not I), mentioned that they would rather collect unemployment than work. And that they quit immediately after the last stimulus checks. Personally I find that hard to believe, a couple grand ain't gonna buy a whole hell of a lot.

On yet another story.... I went to Laredo to visit dad and counted not less than 30 state troopers working IH35 between Cotulla and Laredo (about 60 mile stretch of highway). The drug smuggling and human traffic'ing business is a booming, and I'm sure the cartels' coyotes' are enjoying it. Smugglers' crashed through the west fence at my sisters' small place (less than a 1000 acres), traveled through her  property and crashed out the front gate during the wee hours of the morning about 2 months ago. Her front gate abuts IH35, just a couple miles past the border patrol check point.

I think it's absurd (but what do I know) that a couple trillion goes out the door and into crony pockets, but the people who pay the taxes collectively get spit.  We'd be better off if the fed just gave everybody $1mil and called it good.

• Like 2