Gas Prices and Inflation (Split Thread)

Bubo

53 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

but you might further your education and get into a different industry.

I already have a master's degree. Getting more education and switching careers is not a logical choice for me.  I have 12 years left until retirement.  If I leave education I would lose the only decent perk... my pension.  Plus, I like the fact that I don't have to work weekends, holidays and 2 months in the summer so I can actually spend time with my children.  That to me is worth staying in the field of education for a bit longer.

22 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

I'm a Boomer (and I really hate that term and it's derogatory insinuations...), and I really don't give a shit.  You're welcome,  I win.

Okay Boomer! JK 😉

Come on now, I think it is obvious that I am joking around with @oldtimer. If not I was. You all are wound too tight. BTW, my wife is a boomer and I give her a hard time all the time. She takes it in stride. The 2 year 9 month difference is a chasm, she is SO much older....and gasp a different arbitrary label. Just like music genres....they don't always fit the mold. Still it is fun to see the once mighty fall. So full of your youth and good looks and not aging gracefully in most cases. Accept it, get old with dignity. 

BTW, you did win. I wish I had been around for free love and none of the consequences. We are all jealous of what the others before you did for you and we are left to clean up the mess....I kid the boomers, I kid.

3 minutes ago, rplace said:

Okay Boomer! JK 😉

Come on now, I think it is obvious that I am joking around with @oldtimer. If not I was. You all are wound too tight. BTW, my wife is a boomer and I give her a hard time all the time. She takes it in stride. The 2 year 9 month difference is a chasm, she is SO much older....and gasp a different arbitrary label. Just like music genres....they don't always fit the mold. Still it is fun to see the once mighty fall. So full of your youth and good looks and not aging gracefully in most cases. Accept it, get old with dignity. 

BTW, you did win. I wish I had been around for free love and none of the consequences. We are all jealous of what the others before you did for you and we are left to clean up the mess....I kid the boomers, I kid.

ferk'em...

1 hour ago, rplace said:

I don't know. Pretty sure I get to lay claim to all music between late 70s Punk and the Flannel yawn. Even if it does include Disco...gotta take the good with the bad. I solidly own the Clash, Ramones, Sex Pistols, etc. You can have prog though as I'm pretty sure that is a @dirtmudd thing. Let's see if we can aggravate him. Problem is I think him and I are almost exactly the same age.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

LOL.  I introduced my son to the Pistols.  He was fond of saying about prog, "now I see why punk came along."

On 6/15/2021 at 4:54 AM, garyrc said:

When Edmund G. Brown (Jerry Brown's father) was governor of California, in the early '60s, they issued an advisory to the DMV that most cars were unsuitable after 60,000 miles.  Mechanics kept some going to beyond 100K, though.

A friend of mine drove around with a hole in the floorboard of his car, you could see the road speeding by through the floor.  Of course, he had one door tied closed with a rope.  A cloud of bright white/gray smoke &/or steam would shoot out of his car's exhaust pipe when he started up. 

Had a number of $100 cars back then, one that comes to mind is a 1966 International pickup truck. Both floor pans were completely rusted out and replaced with plate steel. The points at which the door hinges were bolted also rusted on the passenger side also rusted out and the door fell off. I had a buddy weld the door closed. That cost me an extra $20 each year to bribe the inspection technician to pass  safety. Aside from the rust issues that was a good quality truck, Lasted several years. 

Another car I had was a dodge challenger, I drove it for 6 months and the rear leaf springs went through the trunk. I  lifted the car and put a 4x4 piece of lumber between the springs and body. Good to go. I filled the engine weekly with used oil from a local gas station. A great thing about $100 cars was you could always get $50 for scrap towards your next one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, RickD said:

Had a number of $100 cars back then, one that comes to mind is a 1966 International pickup truck. Both floor pans were completely rusted out and replaced with plate steel. The points at which the door hinges were bolted also rusted on the passenger side also rusted out and the door fell off. I had a buddy weld the door closed. That cost me an extra $20 each year to bribe the inspection technician to pass  safety. Aside from the rust issues that was a good quality truck, Lasted several years. 

Another car I had was a dodge challenger, I drove it for 6 months and the rear leaf springs went through the trunk. I  lifted the car and put a 4x4 piece of lumber between the springs and body. Good to go. I filled the engine weekly with used oil from a local gas station. A great thing about $100 cars was you could always get $50 for scrap towards your next one.

A low class ride is better than a high class walk any day of the week. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Raising the price by however much they want is up to the people who are making that decision and the reasons why. If that's what it takes... that's no problem.

I do not support a third party mandating how much money the company is to pay their employees any more than I would support said third party mandating how much money the speakers are to be sold.

• Moderators
On 6/21/2021 at 4:38 AM, henry4841 said:

A principle often overlooked these days when so much is expected as a given. You are like everything else in a free market " what someone else is willing to pay." Like a used car when people are trying to sell it say "the book says my car is worth so and so." The response is always books do not write a check. The car or any other product is worth only what someone is willing to pay. 

I would have liked your Dad. Great post for Fathers day. 

They are worth double what book says right now, even triple. Simply because of the first rule: Supply and demand.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

any more than I would support said third party mandating how much money the speakers are to be sold.

In the south, there are temporary measures that control price, price gouging for water and gas after a huricane for example.

Farmers have, in effect, prices set on supply side. It's not a requirement per se, but it might as well be because of the economics.

On 6/22/2021 at 4:37 PM, dwilawyer said:

In the south, there are temporary measures that control price, price gouging for water and gas after a huricane for example.

Price gouging during an emergency should be punishable. The brothers who bought the ~17,000 bottles of hand sanitizer were flamed into fame and only avoided fines and more punishment by donating the product.

On 6/22/2021 at 4:37 PM, dwilawyer said:

Farmers have, in effect, prices set on supply side. It's not a requirement per se, but it might as well be because of the economics.

Third party (the G word) intervention doesn't help the small farmer very much, but makes the rich farmer richer. 

33 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Nope, he's just past giving it.

Is there something that I'm supposed to do because I was born and raised in a certain era?  What exactly have "post Boomers" done that is so great?   Not a damn thing.

5 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Is there something that I'm supposed to do because I was born and raised in a certain era?  What exactly have "post Boomers" done that is so great?   Not a damn thing.

IOW, I don't give a sheet either is what I meant. I'm past it too.