I'm down to

2 track:

X2000M 2 track record, 2/4 playback

Ampex MR-70

Ampex ATR

4 Track

Teac X1000

Pioneer RT 909

About 100 2 track prerecorded tapes (7.5 ips), including some Tapeproject (15 ips)

About 700 prerecorded 4 track in 3.75 and 7.5 ips

Excellent gears and pretty nice recording library!

They said the old Ampex that's fully dialed can sound better than a Studer.

We just gotta keep on looking for the closes music DNA we can find. A while back I bought a home studio reel tape containing the 6 first Gino Vanelli albums. I have a  few if the original A&M vinyl pressings and it doesn't even get close to the sound of the reel. That was a jackpot. I wish I also bought that player.. 3 Years ago I almost had a chance to buy an old Telefunken. That was a blow!😵

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MicroMara said:

using a Tandberg TD 20 A since more than 4 decades now . Still in perfect optical and technical condition . Get´s a service every 3 Years . Have a lot of Maxell 26 cm Reels.

For new recordings I use RMG LPR Reels , it´s a subsidiary from former BASF , they´re produce new reels in france now .

tandberg1.thumb.jpg.696e1fe1fd124f9ef689729e692e6b61.jpg

rmg.jpg.cd5a5faa110096dc116439419315b057.jpg

Schweet. 😀

They were made to last

• Like 2

Mine are all quarter track stereo...

I've got a TEAC 3340s, and a TEAC portable (can't remember the model at the moment), and two Akai decks.

I do have two digital tape recorders... a TEAC DA-30 DAT and an Alesis ADAT XT20 (8 track).

• Like 2

On 1/29/2023 at 2:30 PM, MicroMara said:

had to laugh about your cat´s playing with the reels , the heads doesn´t look bad ..take care of the capstan drive and maybe the rubber belts must be changed as well

Mornin' - (Guten  Morgen)

Was working in the Teac that I bought last week while double checking all the moving parts and re-lubing it.. making sure its not frozen. However I ran out of Teac motor oil..

Do you think its okay to use the 3 in 1 "Blue" motor oil? (picture below)

However the rest of the seems reel components seems to be in in fine shape. Unbelievable the belt is still new especially the counter belt is still tight. Anyways I'm just waiting to get out of the job soon and will be able to work on this and do a test. I'm gonna power it up with the variac real slow to revive the components. It will be a miracle if this is gonna run flawlessly after being in the box new for almost 42 years. Wish me luck.  :-plnktn-:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

3-IN-ONE Hardware Lubricants #10045

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, CCG said:

Mornin' - (Guten  Morgen)

Was working in the Teac that I bought last week while double checking all the moving parts and re-lubing it.. making sure its not frozen. However I ran out of Teac motor oil..

Do you think its okay to use the 3 in 1 "Blue" motor oil? (picture below)

However the rest of the seems reel components seems to be in in fine shape. Unbelievable the belt is still new especially the counter belt is still tight. Anyways I'm just waiting to get out of the job soon and will be able to work on this and do a test. I'm gonna power it up with the variac real slow to revive the components. It will be a miracle if this is gonna run flawlessly after being in the box new for almost 42 years. Wish me luck.  :-plnktn-:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

3-IN-ONE Hardware Lubricants #10045

Ja really,  looks like brand new , congrats ! I don´t think it´s a good idea to use motor oil . I personally use Gyrosynth 992 for re-oiling. This is a synthetic sintered bearing oil and regarding the rubber belts ...which were now for years on tension , still look good , but they´re certainly already somewhat worn out , I would replace the rubber belts also.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MicroMara said:

Ja really,  looks like brand new , congrats ! I don´t think it´s a good idea to use motor oil . I personally use Gyrosynth 992 for re-oiling. This is a synthetic sintered bearing oil and regarding the rubber belts ...which were now for years on tension , still look good , but they´re certainly already somewhat worn out , I would replace the rubber belts also.

"synthetic sintered bearing oil" We dont have that oil here so the equivalent should be a high speed 20W machine shop head synthetic oil. Is that correct?

When I get it running and see what I need I'll add all the belts and rubbers.. Thank you... 😺

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MicroMara said:

I just order this.. Man I forgot. There should be some little oil in there. I have a little amount of teac oil left.

611FZhPlAhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CCG said:

"synthetic sintered bearing oil" We dont have that oil here so the equivalent should be a high speed 20W machine shop head synthetic oil. Is that correct?

When I get it running and see what I need I'll add all the belts and rubbers.. Thank you... 😺

yes try to get an equivalent synthetic oil that should fit , of course check the wheel drives first , you may use recordings from other r2r´s , than you´ll hear whether they are too slow in speed or not 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MicroMara said:

great , use this one

That was a lot of work. I have to do everything that I can and also I have to pull the pinch roller arm inside.. It was 94% stuck. Afterwards everything seems to be working the way its suppose to be. The only thing I don't feel right the supply reel lever tension. I wanna pull put that shaft and re-grease it. My cir-clip tool is not long enough. I need to buy a long one. I want to set it looser than what it is wont rub the heads. Other than that it sounds great. I brought it up slowly in variac and Its running freely and very quiet. Amazing.
Happy Saturday. 😺

image.thumb.jpeg.1c0580a6b5face95209141ec5cded878.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d1aa3298603c4c526957835015ca5aa7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.14c0b6d2917c958de3203d74a1532412.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8584bbe31312c8b8dbdd77de5fd08d2b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ec978963a7a448ce937d492849cd6196.jpeg

• Like 3

On 1/29/2023 at 1:55 PM, MicroMara said:

using a Tandberg TD 20 A since more than 4 decades now . Still in perfect optical and technical condition . Get´s a service every 3 Years . Have a lot of Maxell 26 cm Reels.

For new recordings I use RMG LPR Reels , it´s a subsidiary from former BASF , they´re produce new reels in france now .

tandberg1.thumb.jpg.696e1fe1fd124f9ef689729e692e6b61.jpg

rmg.jpg.cd5a5faa110096dc116439419315b057.jpg

1. I just got the new 2022 OMD triple album yesterday. Listening to it now on a digital sample and trying to figure out what reel tape I should use on this. I wanna copy both in the cassette too since I have the dragon ready in the recording rack with a Sony HSF-90.
    One of my best sounding reel recordings was the previous OMD Live and I was using an ampex tape. Boy when I playback the reel it sounded like it just turned up the amp to 200 watts.
    McClusky's voice is just so good especially for his age now.
  • Like 1

I have read this thread with a lot of pleasure. Hearing you rave about RtR makes me a little sad. I had a Revox A77 half-track with two Sennheiser MD421n microphones in my youth. I didn't record vinyl or FM but our rock band in the rehearsal room, the church choir in the village with organ, the piano pieces a good buddy had rehearsed for the entrance exam at the Berlin Hochschule der Künste (he was accepted). Another good buddy was a very good jazz drummer at a young age and is now a professor of percussion at the University of Munich. I had often recorded his jazz band at gigs. A copy of our first days in a studio with our rock band and much more. These tapes would all be very nice and good sounding acoustic contemporary witnesses today. From today's point of view I have committed a stupidity because I sold all this including the tapes more than 30 years ago. Suddenly the size and weight of the equipment was too much for me, new tapes too expensive, etc. What I would give for it today if I still had all that. Some of you may be able to relate to this because you have perhaps done similar stupid things in your life.
I have one consolation, my mother and family still has the Braun TG 1000 that my father bought in 1972. It was his pride and joy.

Here a picture from the web showing this model. It was not so popular in the US. The look was timeless and a role model for brands like NAD 15 years later. Because Braun was more a company of optical styling and good looks the technical system was delivered by another company called Uher, they were RtR experts at that time. In a similar way Braun made its own optical design of British Quad ESL 57 electrostatic speakers.

https://www.preservationsound.com/2014/06/less-but-better-the-braun-tg-1000-tape-recorder-of-1970/

2C1EADB0-F2FB-4034-BF24-151771B0D525.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1