Who Here Has A 2 Track Reel To Reel Deck

jcmusic

I have 2 Ampex atr-700 decks. One is 2 track 7 1/2 and 15 ips, one 3 3/4 and 7 1/2 two track. Both have 4 track playback heads also. I also have 2 Pioneer RT- 1050 decks, which are 7 1/2, 15 ips two track. I have a 4 track head stack for it also. I listen to mostly classic rock. All my tapes are recordings I made myself.

About 2 years ago I bought this Sony TC-651 from a local gentleman who was beginning to downsize a bit.  It came with 53 BASF tapes with needle drops of classic rock form the 60's and 70's recorded at 3 3/4.  All tapes are numbered and documented in a 3 ring binder.  The guy said he was stationed in Okinawa during the Viet Nam war and has had them ever since.  I also got some tape splicing supplies and head cleaner.

The deck works and sounds great!  He placed an ad on CL on  Saturday night, it was very basic and just mentioned the deck and tapes, not much other info.  I called and made arraignments to go get it first thing Sunday morning.

I had no idea what was on the tapes until I returned home and started looking at the binder.  Its an amazing collection and they are all VG+ recordings.

Best $150.00 audio buy ever!

Tape Deck.jpg

Tapes.jpg

Tape Contents.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/8/2021 at 9:49 PM, Marvel said:

Those are nice decks, made by Tascam for Ampex.

The Teac A-7300 is the home version of that deck. No balanced in/outs and missing a couple other pro features. I'd like to find a mint unit some day.

• 1 year later...
On 7/8/2021 at 9:35 AM, LTusler said:

About 2 years ago I bought this Sony TC-651 from a local gentleman who was beginning to downsize a bit.  It came with 53 BASF tapes with needle drops of classic rock form the 60's and 70's recorded at 3 3/4.  All tapes are numbered and documented in a 3 ring binder.  The guy said he was stationed in Okinawa during the Viet Nam war and has had them ever since.  I also got some tape splicing supplies and head cleaner.

The deck works and sounds great!  He placed an ad on CL on  Saturday night, it was very basic and just mentioned the deck and tapes, not much other info.  I called and made arraignments to go get it first thing Sunday morning.

I had no idea what was on the tapes until I returned home and started looking at the binder.  Its an amazing collection and they are all VG+ recordings.

Best $150.00 audio buy ever!

Tape Deck.jpg

Tapes.jpg

Tape Contents.jpg

Amazing. Looks like its well cared and organized. Congrats!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Travis In Austin said:

Me too, love them! What do you have?

Howdy,

Great. I have a Teac and currently finishing up the Akai I bought a year ago. Its amazing how these Akai are compact in size and weight for a 7 inch home hifi deck. What do you have?

Thanks, CCG 

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, CCG said:

Howdy,

Great. I have a Teac and currently finishing up the Akai I bought a year ago. Its amazing how these Akai are compact in size and weight for a 7 inch home hifi deck. What do you have?

Thanks, CCG 

I'm down to

2 track:

X2000M 2 track record, 2/4 playback

Ampex MR-70

Ampex ATR

4 Track

Teac X1000

Pioneer RT 909

About 100 2 track prerecorded tapes (7.5 ips), including some Tapeproject (15 ips)

About 700 prerecorded 4 track in 3.75 and 7.5 ips

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, CCG said:

Howdy,

Thanks, CCG 

Paul Klipsch was a big reel to reel guy, there is a whole history on that. 

• Like 1

One of my best friends was a serious reel to reel guy. Bug never bit me. I asked him how some of those old recordings he made 50 years ago still sound and he proclaimed as good as when recorded. Not so sure of that being the earths magnetisms does effect magnetic tape. At least an instructor at an electronic class I occasionally watch says it does. The teacher was a EE on submarines in the navy and he said that submarines have to be demagnetized on a regular basis to prevent detection. A tidbit I did not know. Makes sense when you think about it. As far as reel to reel tape, probably not enough degradation to ever be noticeable in the recorders lifetime. 

• Like 1

using a Tandberg TD 20 A since more than 4 decades now . Still in perfect optical and technical condition . Get´s a service every 3 Years . Have a lot of Maxell 26 cm Reels.

For new recordings I use RMG LPR Reels , it´s a subsidiary from former BASF , they´re produce new reels in france now .

tandberg1.thumb.jpg.696e1fe1fd124f9ef689729e692e6b61.jpg

rmg.jpg.cd5a5faa110096dc116439419315b057.jpg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

using a Tandberg TD 20 A since more than 4 decades now . Still in perfect optical and technical condition . Get´s a service every 3 Years . Have a lot of Maxell 26 cm Reels.

For new recordings I use RMG LPR Reels , it´s a subsidiary from former BASF , they´re produce new reels in france now .

tandberg1.thumb.jpg.696e1fe1fd124f9ef689729e692e6b61.jpg

rmg.jpg.cd5a5faa110096dc116439419315b057.jpg

Wow that's a real nice looking deck. I never owned a Tanderg reel but I have a cassette deck and its probably the most robust and best sounding playback cassette deck I own. By the way, I forgot to mention to you that I bought another reel last week. Its a bit old Tascam that was stored in a garage for over 37 years. I'm skeptical that the pulley's and motors might be in a frozen condition. But its still in the original box. I'm excited and nervous too because it might look like new but if that deck wasn't stored correctly especially leaving it in a storage with a non climate controlled temperature, that could be my invisible enemy. I just couldn't say NO when I saw this... :-plnktn-: 

Hopefully it works and I'll have DJ Scratch play with it along the way... :cheers:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, CCG said:

Wow that's a real nice looking deck. I never owned a Tanderg reel but I have a cassette deck and its probably the most robust and best sounding playback cassette deck I own. By the way, I forgot to mention to you that I bought another reel last week. Its a bit old Tascam that was stored in a garage for over 37 years. I'm skeptical that the pulley's and motors might be in a frozen condition. But its still in the original box. I'm excited and nervous too because it might look like new but if that deck wasn't stored correctly especially leaving it in a storage with a non climate controlled temperature, that could be my invisible enemy. I just couldn't say NO when I saw this... :-plnktn-: 

Hopefully it works and I'll have DJ Scratch play with it along the way... :cheers:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

had to laugh about your cat´s playing with the reels , the heads doesn´t look bad ..take care of the capstan drive and maybe the rubber belts must be changed as well

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

had to laugh about your cat´s playing with the reels , the heads doesn´t look bad ..take care of the capstan drive and maybe the rubber belts must be changed as well

Right. gotta make sure everything is alright before I put it in the variac.

By the way have you tried RTM. Recording The Masters tapes?