Help with center channel - limited options

CR920648

I’m moving into a new home in a couple of weeks and I’m going to have to mount the tv above the fireplace. My current center channel speaker is too big (depth-wise) to place on or above the mantle. Here is my current 5.1 setup:

RP8000F - LF, RF, LR, RR

RP504C - C

SPL-150  - SW

The mantle depth is 9.5 inches so that rules out any rear-ported center speaker. The only 2 options I’ve found from Klipsch is the reference series R-34C (front-ported, 5” height, 6” depth) and the reference premiere RP640D (wall mount, “6 height, 2.5” depth).

Any thoughts on these 2 speakers would be appreciated. And if somebody has any direct experience with either of these that would be even better.

52A9F9A6-A498-43DC-BDF2-822AF10373AC.jpeg

Edited by CR920648
Added Picture
  • Like 1

Hi there. I have recently sampled the r34c, the rp404c, and the r52c. I returned the 34 because it didn't pair well with my r820f towers. It has 4 woofers, but they are small and I wasn't getting the full sound I wanted out of it. I really liked the 404c paired with those towers instead, but I don't have the depth restriction you do. This is my favorite speaker that I own. I also kept the 52c paired with r51m's and r120sw in another room. It's a cheaper center channel, but is fully enclosed and has deep and loud sound that I like, with 2 5.25 inch woofers. I would have to check, but don't think it is more than about 7 inches deep and you could push it right back against the wall as long as that chimney doesn't get too hot. 

Thanks for all of the replies so far. The room is 21’ x 18’ and the mains can be anywhere between the front corners and the sides of the fireplace. The surrounds have to be in the rear corners because the room is open to the kitchen behind it. It’s new construction and this room is not ideal for a home theater. I’ve got plenty of space in the basement for a future home theater but for right now, I want this family room to sound as good as it can.

Could a phantom center actually sound better than a non-ideal center? 

I haven’t considered the 52c but will take a look at it if it’s still available.

Thanks again and please keep

the suggestions coming. I’ve got about 2 weeks to make a decision before we move in.

C132BB95-A2FB-4F65-965A-4E0ED549F480.jpeg

• Like 1