Kids these days

wuzzzer

Talked to a 13 year old kid staying at his aunt's $2.5 million lake home.  My wife and I clean for them every Friday.  He was up in his room on his phone.  Asked if he had done any fishing yet, he said no.  Later he did go outside, but was laying in a hammock playing on his phone.  I told him the lake he's on is one of the best largemouth bass lakes in the state.  He didn't seem to care.  🙄

6 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Talked to a 13 year old kid staying at his aunt's $2.5 million lake home.  My wife and I clean for them every Friday.  He was up in his room on his phone.  Asked if he had done any fishing yet, he said no.  Later he did go outside, but was laying in a hammock playing on his phone.  I told him the lake he's on is one of the best largemouth bass lakes in the state.  He didn't seem to care.  🙄

find another kid or a girl his age  who likes fishing and maybe then , he would go along

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dtel said:

The main problem is staring at his phone all day, it's a chronic problem these days even for adults.

Yes, and the ones designing it know what they're doing. The feature of the bottomless scrolling (not having to click on pages 2, 3, 4, ..) was something to keep people locked on and looking. They know the human brain well enough to know how to create addicts. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

They know the human brain well enough to know how to create addicts.

That's exactly right. Addicts they are too. My kid would look at his phone all day long if we let him. We set limits and I tell him to put it away only once.

• Like 2

• Moderators

They do know how to design them to keep you looking at them.

It's not all bad, you can find answers to questions and directions to almost anywhere plus they are always carring a camera, not even counting the emergency uses.

The big down side is it's easy for kids to lose or not learn normal social skills of direct contact with people. They would almost sit around the table looking at the phone sending messages to friends across the table instead of talking.

Not as a user of one, outside of storing music on one for earbuds for grass cutting it is more noticable to me how distracted people are with phones. Maby the biggest social change in history.

I know, I'm old.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fishing just does not interest him in any way.

Smartphone is the source of many interesting themes and socializing with other mates.

If he had friends there on the lake involved in various activities of mutual interest, may be it would be a different picture.

As is, the smartphone is just more fun then staring into water and waiting for a fish.

On 7/3/2021 at 11:43 AM, dtel said:

Maby the biggest social change in history.

I know, I'm old.

Old or not, I don't think that is hyperbole. The attention span of an average person has dwindled to nearly milliseconds in part to the ability to access so much information in such a short period of time. The ability to have a rational conversation, or any conversation that last more than "Hi" is slipping away. Of course, as we star at our screens reading this and lament, we are also falling into the same patterns and routines.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxman said:

Old or not, I don't think that is hyperbole. The attention span of an average person has dwindled to nearly milliseconds in part to the ability to access so much information in such a short period of time. The ability to have a rational conversation, or any conversation that last more than "Hi" is slipping away. Of course, as we star at our screens reading this and lament, we are also falling into the same patterns and routines.

I agree and the lack of self awareness on these threads boggles the mind.

On 7/4/2021 at 10:18 AM, dtr20 said:

Hmm, this is awkward. I'm reading this thread on my phone. 🤫

Thank you! 

On 7/2/2021 at 6:22 PM, wuzzzer said:

It's not the phone, it is the individual and the parents.

• Like 1

Not necessarily the phone or the parents fault, just the kids interest.   My dad and Step Dad took me fishing  as a child, never cared for it then, nor do I now.  My kids like fishing, wish I was into it more to want to take them more often.  Id  rather sit pool/beach side with a drink and BS with friends and family with good tunes playing.  When we had a camper at the lake, my daughter would be fishing, I would be in float down stream.  

I wonder if the kid in question had access to a jet ski if he would be interested, I know I would. 

56 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Not necessarily the phone or the parents fault, just the kids interest.   My dad and Step Dad took me fishing  as a child, never cared for it then, nor do I now...

Exactly!

1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

It's not the phone, it is the individual and the parents.

I agree. There is no way I would want to go back to the "good old days," where we had to use maps, ask for directions when we were lost, and not have real-time information on a myriad of things that are important to our lives. Parents DO need to set rules and be examples for their children to follow and as the Dude says, allowed to follow their own interests... 

On 7/3/2021 at 12:39 AM, dtel said:

The main problem is staring at his phone all day, it's a chronic problem these days even for adults.

I actually blame the adults more than I do the kids.

3 hours ago, Foxman said:

The attention span of an average person has dwindled to nearly milliseconds in part to the ability to access so much information in such a short period of time. The ability to have a rational conversation, or any conversation that last more than "Hi" is slipping away...

I totally agree that the attention span is real and have witnessed the change on this forum insofar as important conversations outside of audio are concerned. Some people like to "blame The Media," without realizing they aren't really discussing what's in the News and the people making it. Too many things become catch-phrases and that was/is apparent on Social Media. Popular items became so on Facebook and Twitter with mindless LIKES and re-tweets/posts without any discourse. That's my take. 

every kid should grow up on a farm. i wish i had. so now we're making up for lost time..
There's definitely alot to learn, not saying they need to grow up, but experience for sure.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk