Centers for Fronts?

AndreG.

Speculating:

I´m watching German "ebay kleinanzeigen" (about equal to US Craigslist) for Klipsch speakers regularly. A lot of centers turn up here- What i´ve always wondered, could two centers, let´s say RC-62s for example, be used as front alternatives? Quite often you can find them cheap and end up spending less $$$ then getting bookshelves of the same line.

If i remember correctly, the KG 2.2 and 2.5 could be used as both, fronts or center.

• Like 1

I don't not see a reason not to try.  Some folks on this forum use and have used RC-7s as front speakers and are very pleased with the results.  One difference is that the RC-7's horns can be rotated one quarter turn so the speakers can be placed vertically.  The RC-62s have a fixed horn so they would be best placed horizontally.

Bill 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, willland said:

the RC-7's horns can be rotated one quarter turn so the speakers can be placed vertically

I guess, this is/was a singular feature of a first class center like the RC7, or are any other centers capable of rotating their horns?

2 minutes ago, AndreG. said:

I guess, this is/was a singular feature of a first class center like the RC7, or are any other centers capable of rotating their horns?

None of the horns can be rotated after the Reference II series.  Reference III(RC-35, RC-25, etc.) was the beginning of the fixed horn.

RC-7, RC-35, RC-62 in order left to right.

klipsch center speaker ebay cheap onlineimage.jpeg.5288953b6031281cf8dff860013ea6ba.jpegimage.jpeg.7654c5115d627200e4a4fd62a6f64292.jpeg

Bill

• Thanks 1

I’ve seen and heard a very nice McIntosh system. all the speakers were Klipsch RC64 gen 2. That says was so sweet sounding. He had them all standing up . The sound was very good with that center speaker sitting on its side, we even played with how they were setup and could not here any difference with the sound. He did not rotate the tweeters or anything like that. It’s been about 10 years sense I’ve seen this setup, and I believe it was just a plan old 5.1 setup. It was kind of funny to see all of those rc64 speakers sitting on the end sides. They are pretty tall when done like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 5:16 AM, AndreG. said:

What i´ve always wondered, could two centers, let´s say RC-62s for example, be used as front alternatives?

This has been discussed before regarding the RC-7s back when it was introduced. It seemed consensus was that because of Klipsch's patented "tapered array," design which doesn't engage both LF drivers on all frequencies a bookshelf or tower would be better.

46415235282_7256c20a40_k.jpg

I've done it also... there is an aspect of 'comb filtering' that occurs, but it was acceptable and sounded decent. of course a single (that matches the mains) sounds much better to my ears... more focused and cohesive.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Emile said:

Think the OP is asking about using TWO centers "combined."  Tried this with some other Klipsch centers - parallel and in-series - but never got any good results :(  

Well, if that's the case then I would worry about comb filtering in that scenario. Is using two center channel speakers advisable ? - Page 2 - Home Theater - The Klipsch Audio Community

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Emile said:

Think the OP is asking about using TWO centers "combined."  Tried this with some other Klipsch centers - parallel and in-series - but never got any good results :(  

My meaning was, can two centers of the same type, for example mentioned RC-62, be used as front left and right, as bookshelves instead of conventional bookshelve-speakers. Getting some good input here, thank You all who answered so far.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, AndreG. said:

My meaning was, can two centers of the same type, for example mentioned RC-62, be used as front left and right

Oops ... stand corrected ... sorry for mis-understanding :) 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 5:16 AM, AndreG. said:

If i remember correctly, the KG 2.2 and 2.5 could be used as both, fronts or center.

Fwiw, those are 2 way bookshelf speakers. With any bookshelf speaker along with floorstanders it could be better to have 3 identical across the front if footprint allows, than one of them being a center channel from the same line...otoh, center channels were designed because in most HTs 3 identical speakers couldn't be used because of size and tv placement.

• Like 1