Cornwall IV bi-amped needs to be out of phase according to manual? Huh?

Freighter

So I've had my Cornwall IV's bi-amped for a while, but I was just going through the manual for something unrelated when I noticed the bi-amping diagram.

The diagram seems to suggest that the H (high) wires need to be reversed. The diagram shows the high '-' on the speaker being connected to the '+' on the amplifier. This would put the highs out of phase with the lows.

I was just wondering if this is a printing error or if this is actually intended/necessary?

cornwall bi-amp.png

Edited by Freighter
Changed Cornwall V to Cornwall IV, oops

"A second order crossover will shift the phase of each speaker 90 degrees, so that both speakers are 180 degrees out of phase. This means that at the crossover frequency, the two drivers will be moving in opposite directions at the same time. They will cancel each other out and produce a 30db dip in the frequency response at the crossover point. Reversing polarity of one (but not both) of the speakers will limit this dip to +- 3db."

https://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Calculator/SpeakerCrossover/Help/

I say it is a mistake in the owners manual.

I would assume any needed polarity changes as it relates to the passive crossover function would be done internally and not at the external input connections. As can be seen in the bi-wire example there is no polarity reversal at the amplifier connections  or input terminal connections. Also if just using the standard jumpers there are no external polarity reversal. All this adds up to a manual misprint/mistake. 

This is also assuming you are using identical amplifiers for HF and LF. 

miketn

77E4F334-3988-46E2-8D29-CDA6A7DD93AC.thumb.jpeg.1f993777ea39d2a30f06c963fed52edd.jpeg

2 minutes ago, mikebse2a3 said:

I would assume any needed polarity changes as it relates to the passive crossover function would be done internally and not at the external input connections. As can be seen in the bi-wire example there is no polarity reversal at the amplifier connections  or input terminal connections. Also if just using the standard jumpers there are no external polarity reversal.

That's a good point that I completely missed. I agree with your conclusion.

• Moderators

@Chief bonehead @Trey Cannon are you aware of this? Can you confirm this is an error.

@Paducah Home Theater do you have any experience with this?

@Edgar @mikebse2a3 if the OP tried it both ways, it wouldn't hurt anything I'm assuming? (Amp or speaker)

I thought there was at least one Heritage balancing network in the bast that reversed the phase on one of the drivers? EDIT: As Mike and Edgar covered, the jumpers would make the phase change by network moot, that would be handled internally.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Freighter said:

I was just wondering if this is a printing error or if this is actually intended/necessary?

I checked all the Heresy IV -Forte IV and Cornwall IV  -Lascala AL-5  , user manuals  ----same thing , so  it is intended

28 minutes ago, 001 said:

I checked all the Heresy IV -Forte IV and Cornwall IV  -Lascala AL-5  , user manuals  ----same thing , so  it is intended

Heresy lV is correct 

Forte lV is incorrect 

Cornwall lV is incorrect 

La Scala AL5 is incorrect 

Again Look at the bi-wire hookup which shows same polarity for LF and HF with again no polarity reversal. 

Also realize that if using a single amplifier with jumpers installed the HF and LF have the same polarity in effect and the same thing applies in the bi-wire hookup so it would make no logical sense to reverse polarity when bi-amping if using identical amplifiers for LF and HF. 

Only in the special case of using unlike amplifiers for HF versus LF and one of the amplifiers itself inverts polarity at its output would a polarity reversal be necessary. 

miketn

98E124B5-7FE6-42CC-9D2D-BB8B1E085BDD.thumb.jpeg.486c18494833c1867f726b42228d80ab.jpeg

8ABF833F-380F-499D-839A-70CDAFBE98EC.thumb.jpeg.94fb7285643f266b4b081c9fede678bd.jpeg

5C5576FB-D4C6-4E94-A3E8-8404E636A65F.thumb.jpeg.f91db80f74150aff75fd05f140c373e0.jpeg

• Like 3