High pinched whistling

VDS

8 hours ago, VDS said:

And it’s a very annoying frequency for my ears!

I would reach out  to XILICA  tech support , the unit may require servicing  , a Xilica is typically dead quiet  ,

4 hours ago, Chris A said:

This looks very similar to my "hiss" noise issue before installing the ISO-MAX (i.e., same frequencies at ~1500, 2000, 3000, 4500 and 6000 Hz), however, I don't remember seeing such large SPL spikes.

Those frequencies are way too high for typical 60 Hz ground loops. I might suspect RF interference, perhaps some coupling into the master clock in the Xilica unit. Maybe try some ferrite beads on the interconnects to/from the Xilica.

Also, regarding unbalanced to balanced connections: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/191547-odd-noise-in-system/&do=findComment&comment=2494961

Finally, I've had good success with Canare Star Quad balanced cables.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Those frequencies are way too high for typical 60 Hz ground loops. I might suspect RF interference, perhaps some coupling into the master clock in the Xilica unit. Maybe try some ferrite beads on the interconnects to/from the Xilica.

The issue he is having is best described as Buzz and not Hum and is due to ground loop currents between equipment. 

This is described in papers by Jensen:

an004 2.pdf

ts_guide 2.pdf

4829B4EE-3EE1-4722-B862-9B4B3B68E941.thumb.jpeg.1435e6ab9890dfb245a0ea9bcfebcb28.jpeg

Have you tried something as simple as to mute all the XIlica output channels and turn them on one at a time to listen to just 1 channel at a time and see exactly where the distortion is coming from?  Is it just the woofers, just the tweeters, just 1 channel? 

Sorry if you have already been through all this.

5 hours ago, babadono said:

@babadono what do the dummy plugs do?

ordered some low end cables from wire world. I’m going to start there, before ordering the Jensen isolator, I can use the cables with the Jensen anyway

thanks everybody!

21 hours ago, mark1101 said:

Have you tried something as simple as to mute all the XIlica output channels and turn them on one at a time to listen to just 1 channel at a time and see exactly where the distortion is coming from?  Is it just the woofers, just the tweeters, just 1 channel? 

Sorry if you have already been through all this.

This too is an excellent suggestion.

@VDS

On 7/5/2021 at 8:17 PM, VDS said:

I’ve got a persistent very high pitched whistle, whine, ear piecing frequency.

Not very loud, but clearly audible,  sure I would have heard it in previous location, heard as soon as I got system up and running in new location.
Seems to be coming from the Xilica 4080xp, stops when I turn Xilica off.  

Yup, I experienced the same exact thing when I tried using a First Watt SIT-3 amplifier.

I ran XLR from Xilica XP4080 to RCA on the First Watt.

Monoprice 104784 3' Premier Series XLR Female to RCA Male 16AWG Cable

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4785

I confirmed that this is a 3 conductor cable. Signal + goes to center pin on the RCA and the - and shield are soldered together on the RCA outer conductor.

I experimented desoldering the shield and leaving it floating on the RCA end and it didn't make a difference. Whine was still present.

I only heard the whine from the Jubilee HF stock compression driver left and right. Not noticeable form the LF cabinets.

I disconnected everything in my setup and traced the noise to the Xilica.

Unplugged everything.

I didn't plug in any inputs into the Xilica.

I plugged in the First Watt SIT3 and connected the left speaker cable. Turned amp on. Silent.

I plugged in the Xilica and connected the Monoprice XLR to RCA cable. Silent

Turned on the Xilica and when the internal relay turns on after a few seconds I hear the high pitched whine.

Is it possible that this is an issue with the Xilica? Should I contact them? The date code on my Xilica is from December 2020. Curious if the original poster and I have issues with our units. Or is this just an inherent issue with using XLR to RCA with high sensitivity drivers?

I didn't hear the noise when I previously used the Crown D75a or a pair of Amp Camp monoblocks which both had balanced inputs. I'm Debating now if I want to  experiment with the Jensen transformers or sell this amp and look into other amps that offer balanced inputs. Also considering other amps with balanced inputs; Cyrus Stereo 200, First Watt J2, Benchmark AHB2.

Well, hooked up new 3 conductor cables from Wireworld, sound changed slightly, but persisted. Took out Pass Xa25 and put in First Watt F3 clone, sound is gone! 
map I guess I’m in the same boat as @Chris A and @Newfangled all of us using  rca only First Watt / Pass.  I have to decide if I want to just stick with the F3 clone (which sounds pretty damn good) or see if the Jensen isolator may help. 

ok it sounds like if you want to stay with an unbalanced input amp you will have to use a Jensen ISO MAX or similar. But with the $$ you have already spent I would personally not scrimp on this component. Buy Jensen, they are the BEST.

This is very strange IMHO.

26 minutes ago, babadono said:

ok it sounds like if you want to stay with an unbalanced input amp you will have to use a Jensen ISO MAX or similar. But with the $$ you have already spent I would personally not scrimp on this component. Buy Jensen, they are the BEST.

This is very strange IMHO.

I think I will. I don’t like the idea of having to use only balanced amps.  

Free Experiment if you haven’t tried this424D5447-FF85-41DD-84C0-8BFFF79BEFED.thumb.jpeg.6586361bd25ddfff4f0d68c605d3ac4b.jpeg

😀

I checked out the ISOBAR and noticed it advertised (4) filter banks.

So depending on how you have the Xilica and Pass power cords plugged in already try plugging them into the same bank (circled in colors) or different banks and see if it changes the noise any.

miketn

@mikebse2a3 interesting! I’ll try switching outlets.  Thanks for your effort in helping.

@PrestonTom, I started with single conductor w/a conductive shield, to a true 3 conductor cable from a respected brand, Wireworld.  You always are great at clarification of the issue, I’m confused.

New cables, same noise with Pass, no noise with First Watt clone. 

@Edgar, lots of controversy about ferrites.  Some say they work best on power cables bringing interference  into the amp, or other device.  
Thanks for all the help !

Ted