Recommend SS amp for my K402 and stock driver

I own Hypex NC400 monoblocks which tested to have the second lowest noise floor ever tested on Audio Science reviews, bested only by Benchmark. I also have Pass First Watt F3’s run as monoblocks and change the two out every month or so. As damn good as the F3’s sound being single needed, single gain stage solid state amp(s) the Hypex don’t lack far, if any, behind. Both amps are “stick your head in the horn quiet”, virtually silent on both LaScala and Jubilee w/402. It’s hard to beat silent, powerful, efficient and affordable in today’s hi end market. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

The hypex NC series is amazing. Very affordable, amazing fidelity, virtually zero power consumption and unlimited headroom.  Most bang for the buck possible in my book.  I thought the ICE amps sound pretty good until I heard the hypex amps. 

Yes indeed. I got mine from the maker in Europe as 2 monobloc KITS, which I had never heard. I went by the White Papers I read by Bruno Putzeys and was convinced to try them. Easiest Kits I ever built. Only took 1 1/2 hours and Zero Soldering!

Ah the sound.....................A/B's them against my reference Pass First Watt Aleph J clones, which, at the time, was the best amplifier I had ever owned for Horns.

The NC400's had the same "Class A" micro details, especially in the highs, with incredibly authoritative Bass response, along with "topless" Headroom, especially on 100 db speakers, aye?

My drum test recording was so loud, as to fool people outside my old space that there was a live drum set upstairs, even though it was a recording that hit 124 db peaks (real drums can get even louder, but what's the point after that?).

22 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Claude hasnt steered me wrong yet 

Hope I never do. Treat thy neighbor as thyself, aye?

Also, you put your money where you mouth is many times in your quest for sonic Nirvana, without hesitation. This should also be acknowledged!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Hope I never do. Treat thy neighbor as thyself, aye?

Also, you put your money where you mouth is many times in your quest for sonic Nirvana, without hesitation. This should also be acknowledged!

I'm very content right now. I have a second setup to give me some variety that I'm currently enjoying as well and want a Hypex amp on those as well. For me, I think I am maxed out on what I can get sound wise even if I doubled the budget or more. Super happy for once. 

5 minutes ago, MMurg said:

I have a preorder in for a pair of Heritage Jubilee.  Should I be considering these Buckeye amps for that system?  They are much more affordable than some recommendations I gotten.

Honestly, you are going to have a full plate when the Jubilees arrive.

Personally, I would concentrate on getting them set up in your room and adjusting & re-adjusting their locations and the the location of the seating area. The issue of amplifiers (within reason), will simply be "frosting on the cake" and not really a major concern. Get used to the Jubilee sound first and then go from there. 

Good luck,

-Tom

19 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

Honestly, you are going to have a full plate when the Jubilees arrive.

Personally, I would concentrate on getting them set up in your room and adjusting & re-adjusting their locations and the the location of the seating area. The issue of amplifiers (within reason), will simply be "frosting on the cake" and not really a major concern. Get used to the Jubilee sound first and then go from there. 

Good luck,

-Tom

I have not seen an information about the Heritage Jubilee coming with any amplification.  The DSP is included but I'm pretty sure I still have to purchase 4 channels of amplification before they arrive.

Yes, you will need four channels of amplification.

My suggestion was to simply use what you have on hand or what you can either borrow, or pick up for cheap on Craigslist. My store room may look different than yours, Over the years I have accumulated quite a bit of gear that is now just laying around. I sometimes assume that others have my same bad habits. 

-Tom

Four channels of amplification = two stereo amplifiers? And from what I’ve gathered the Jube setup is “simpler” using two of the same amps in order to keep the same amount of gain although many do/have used tubes on the 402 and SS on the bins. 
After a few years of using passive networks I soon plan to go active using either Hypex nCores or Pass First Watt F3’s — 

1 hour ago, PrestonTom said:

Yes, you will need four channels of amplification.

My suggestion was to simply use what you have on hand or what you can either borrow, or pick up for cheap on Craigslist. My store room may look different than yours, Over the years I have accumulated quite a bit of gear that is now just laying around. I sometimes assume that others have my same bad habits. 

-Tom

No, I don't have spare amps lying around.  So, I'm asking people for recommendations on what to buy.  I'd rather not just buy whatever I can find on Craigslist, etc. and then have it lying around or reselling it.  I'm not someone who turns over gear all the time.

15 minutes ago, The Dude said:

If you are in a hurry and up for the build, check Madison Sound.
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Interesting.  Those look like something I might be able to build.  The NC400 kit doesn't seem as good a value for the money as the Buckeye amps but if might be an option if I need them quickly.

4 minutes ago, MMurg said:

No, I don't have spare amps lying around.  So, I'm asking people for recommendations on what to buy.  I'd rather not just buy whatever I can find on Craigslist, etc. and then have it lying around or reselling it.  I'm not someone who turns over gear all the time.

Interesting.  Those look like something I might be able to build.  The NC400 kit doesn't seem as good a value for the money as the Buckeye amps but if might be an option if I need them quickly.

VTV amps are more expensive, but before Buckeye came around, I ordered an NC1200 stereo from him and that's what I am currently using.   You won't need that kind of power or anywhere near it though.