Epic CF4 Speakers

Lazarus Long

2 minutes ago, 001 said:

yeah , your 90$  deal was a great deal -

I bought it to swap into a center speaker which would timbre match my CF-4's.  Having acquired an RC-64 III pretty much put an end to my need for a better center!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I don't have to sell my DH1506 so it doesn't affect me one way or the other, but...if it's substantially more, just contact the Seller and cancel the sale.  The Seller doesn't really care.

I did see one 1506 for $400 with $95 shipping on Ebay.  Is that the one? 

Edit:  I saw the one for $85 and $15 shipping Sold today.  If you got that one, it's a good deal.  They usually go for about $125 each and you can put two into a $15 flat rate Medium USPS box.

I got the one for $85 and offered $75 on another orphan and got that one as well. with tax and shipping it’s real close to $200 for the pair. 

Edited by Lazarus Long
  • Like 1

so are these speakers for sale as is or are you restoring them to keep or sell at a later date?  just curious as they are listed in the garage sale section & myself or others may be interested if they are for sale. 

2 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

so are these speakers for sale as is or are you restoring them to keep or sell at a later date?  just curious as they are listed in the garage sale section & myself or others may be interested if they are for sale. 

Well, I was not aware of these EV drivers being basically drop in replacements for the original drivers. Before realizing this I was considering selling as is. But, I just purchased two of those drivers, so now I plan on installing the drivers and going from there. I do plan on moving these along. Just not sure if I’m going to go full restoration or not. I can post some pictures of them, and anyone could feel free to make an offer. 

3 hours ago, Lazarus Long said:

I was not aware of these EV drivers being basically drop in replacements for the original drivers.

They aren't plug and play.  The K-63 uses a neo magnet and weighs 4 pounds.  The DH1506 are 11 pounds each.  They will crack that horn lens unless you build a shelf for them to sit on.  All this is detailed in the thread referenced above "Epic Owners Group."  Highly recommended reading.

While I had the box apart I built a shelf for the 1506.

I damped the horns with pure Silicon caulk, an 11oz tube per horn lens.  Cost around $6

I braced the enclosure

I added about 2 pounds of Fiberfil to the bottom where the ports are.  I took out the two 1.5" foam sheets from the bottom only.

When I added a 15" sub the CF-4's had a sound with more accuracy and more dynamics than my La Scalas, more than my Khorns.  The little improvements added up into a big  overall improvement.

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

They aren't plug and play.  The K-63 uses a neo magnet and weighs 4 pounds.  The DH1506 are 11 pounds each.  They will crack that horn lens unless you build a shelf for them to sit on.  All this is detailed in the thread referenced above "Epic Owners Group."  Highly recommended reading.

I damped the horns with pure Silicon caulk, an 11oz tube per horn lens.  Cost around $6

I braced the enclosure

I added about 2 pounds of Fiberfil to the bottom where the ports are.  I took out the two 1.5" foam sheets from the bottom only.

When I added a 15" sub the CF-4's had a sound with more accuracy and more dynamics than my La Scalas, more than my Khorns.  The little improvements added up into a big  overall improvement.

Good advice. I had planned on putting in a brace for the driver to sit on. I was going to simply pocket screw a horizontal brace and apply some somewhat dense foam to the brace where the driver will sit. 

where else did you brace the cabinet? 

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

I braced the enclosure

you are right with a caveat, you can plug them in and listen and decide if you love them or not then if you want to to keep them you will need to support them. People tend not to listen and be lazy. You should not ship a KLF20 or a KLF30  with the mid motor in place either as it is heavy enough to break/snap off from the horn if the box is given a good shake. This is kind of the same with the EV DH 1506. If you don't shake them or drop them or move them not problem but they do need a shelf or a brace or a hangar to hold the motors weight. Great driver the DH 1506, like Bob Seger said "like a rock".

• Like 2

On 7/10/2021 at 7:44 PM, Lazarus Long said:

I had planned on putting in a brace for the driver to sit on. I was going to simply pocket screw a horizontal brace and apply some somewhat dense foam to the brace where the driver will sit. 

where else did you brace the cabinet? 

I think the Epic Owners Group has some more detailed pictures.  There were two OEM braces and I added one more to the sides in the middle which was the shelf, then a long one with a rubber biscuit top and bottom.  The vertical brace had to be off-center because the CD takes up the middle space.

post-58280-0-15920000-1396718880_thumb.jpgpost-58280-0-75800000-1396718925_thumb.jpgpost-58280-0-72200000-1396720293_thumb.jpgpost-58280-0-09360000-1402492289_thumb.jpgIMG_4328_800.jpg.f746a46dbea1b1595d39246b89b45f17.jpgIMG_4330_800.jpg.67290d17582f461335aeb1cf12d4d947.jpgIMG_4342_800.jpg.792bc9b00f74c5ed829c556730d5980e.jpgIMG_4348.thumb.JPG.6202e86461b04f996420c60601fb6e1a.JPGIMG_4352.thumb.JPG.c017d3a2414a04b1ebf23ee14638f242.JPG

• Like 1

I have both horn drivers in my possession. One was packaged very well and arrived in excellent shape. The other was poorly packaged. They tried to add foam padding, but it was a complete failure. The driver bounced around in the box, almost broke through the box, and still arrived relatively undamaged. It really only suffered from some paint loss. I have not tested it for sound, but resistance reads good. I hope to have some time to mess with these over the weekend. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, billybob said:

Good...they should always be packed like ready for a Stanley 

Cup playoff.

Lesser drivers would have been destroyed.

I actually wonder how many packages that loose brick of a driver damaged while it was careening down those priority mail conveyers 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 2:46 PM, wvu80 said:

I think the Epic Owners Group has some more detailed pictures.  There were two OEM braces and I added one more to the sides in the middle which was the shelf, then a long one with a rubber biscuit top and bottom.  The vertical brace had to be off-center because the CD takes up the middle space.

Dave ---how thick are the wood panels in the  CF-4  , 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch ----and how about the motorboard --tx