Chicks with picks

EmilC

I REALLY enjoy the Chick that plays/played Bass for Jeff Beck. Can't remember her name. Not only is she fun to watch, she is one Helluva Bassist! if you have not seen her, I suggest you do. Found her. I am talking about Tal Wilkenfeld.

Not sure if the red rocker Sammy Hagar still has the female  Native American bassist while on the subject. Bass players shouldn’t use picks though. 
Also Joann Shaw Taylor can sling a six string guitar as well. Just wish her sound engineer could cut back on the db levels somewhere in the mix. Always a bit too “hot” resulting in audible distortion.

Don't forget Ana Popovic, the Serbian Scorcher.  She played with the Experience Hendrix tour for four years, and is well-qualified to play Hendirix.  I've seen her play here twice, first at Blues Bash in September of 2017 or '18, and then the following June with Jazz Fest.  Hope she comes back soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/10/2021 at 7:31 PM, Marvel said:

This is a cover... and no electric effects to cover the ability. She has played more notes in one song than I've played in my life...

Great thread EmilC!

Marvel,

I am not so sure Townes ever played WFLB's ever that fast, but I LOVE this version.

For anybody that is a Guy Clark, Steve Earle and or Townes fan, you really must listen to:

Together At The Bluebird Cafe.

3 great friends, just playing. 🎶

One of my 2 favourite live records... along with Kieran Kane & Kevin Welch, Live In Melbourne.

AND, sorry for swerving you thread, just love me some TVZ😇

• Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 4:31 PM, Marvel said:

This is a cover... and no electric effects to cover the ability. She has played more notes in one song than I've played in my life...

Hi Bruce ... I hope you and your bride are doing great. My ex just moved to Tennessee ... if you run into her, tell her that I'm doing fine ... no, better than fine, I'm doing better than anyone has ever done!

Regarding effects ... some are very fun. I don't use any pedals ... although I'm super tempted to get a Leslie pedal ... saw someone using one of those and it was like hearing a Leslie. I like that sound.  

My biggest music regret ... other than giving away a 76 Fender Telecaster, thin line, semi hollow body ... is that I learnt WITHOUT using a pick.  I always loved the feel of my skin on the strings and strange as it may sound, when I grab a pick now ... it feels so strange, it's as if I have to learn all over again. 

My cousin's friend owns a social media platform specifically for musicians.It's another way for musicians to show their music. He used to play with George Strait (probably others, I've only met the guy once; but my cousin tells me that he has a Telecaster on loan to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  He's an old school guitarist from the 60s ... living in the San Francisco Bay Area during the Summer of Love. 

@BigStewMan

We're doin' great, Stew... Don't get me wrong, some effects with electric guitars are fine, and there is an ability required to pull it off. Just amazed at hot acoustic players. Molly Tuttle, Chris Thile, Sierra Hull. There are certainly more.

Hope you are doing great... running into the ex... who knows 😉.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marvel said:

@BigStewMan

We're doin' great, Stew... Don't get me wrong, some effects with electric guitars are fine, and there is an abilitt required to pull it off. Just amazed at hot acoustic players. Molly Tuttle, Chris Thile, Sierra Hull. There are certainly more.

Hope you are doing great... running into the ex... who knows 😉.

Me and the Ex are on decent terms actually ... maybe the least stressful divorce in history, so little chance that you'll run into a lady wearing a No Steve shirt. 

I hear you on the effects ... I'm a HUGE fan of Reverb and delay, less so with too much distortion; but unlike many rockstars, I LOVE a clean sound. Sorry Brian May ... we disagree on this one.  HaHa. 

I recently watched a video of Glen Campbell shredding on a 12 string electric.  Hold on, let me find it and link it here ... mad skills displayed when considering he's playing a 12-string. I'm a HUGE Glen Campbell fan ... along with Roy Clark ... those dudes could flat out play. 

Glad you are doing great Bruce. God bless you buddy. 

• 3 months later...